Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC 2013 announced for June 10-14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

DubDJ wrote: »
    They've had a very quiet 2013 so far so I'd love to see a few great surprises. But I won't hold my breath.

Is this the longest we have ever gone without a new Apple product been launched?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm actually most looking forward to iRadio. Of course, it won't be available here until god knows when, but I could really do with a good music discovery service. Spotify is okay, I guess, but it works out very expensive in the long run and I prefer to own music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Is this the longest we have ever gone without a new Apple product been launched?

In the last few years probably yeah. Last year there had already been an education event, an iPad event and the quiet release of Mountain Lion. So far the biggest thing to come from Apple this year is the 128Gb iPad and the updated iPod Touch from last week. Nothing news worthy even. So it has been all quiet so far. Probably to do with the late October event for the iPad mini.

iOS 7 Banner is a little different this year.
    xYMTNSw.jpg?1

OS X looks very different. Is this the new default background?
    ri2iyug.jpg?1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sea Lion?

• Advertisement

Have to say I'd miss the old desktop backgrounds. They were gorgeous and made the desktop stand out. It's like a new feature I look forward to seeing with the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So is io7 really just going to be about flatter design and ridding it of tacky Forstall skeumorphism?

Surely there must be some major functionality changes as well? The look is really cosmetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Blazer wrote: »
    I'd be happy with bluetooth file sharing and setting shortcuts in the notification bar.
    Also I wish they'd buy or integrate swiftkey into their keyboard..it's bloody fantastic.
    If we get file sharing it won't be over bluetooth. bluetooth is a horror for file transfers, ad hoc wifi is much better and more likely solution considering that's what airdrop on macs use.
    Would love to see radio enabled, and shortcuts to Bluetooth etc..

Would also love to have a lockscreen like Android where it has the flip time and the weather
    radio? people still listen to irish radio?

why would you want the weather - of all things - on the lock screen? look out the window :D. I hate the flip time on android as it always has to readjust the time when you turn the screen on.
    Have to say I'd miss the old desktop backgrounds. They were gorgeous and made the desktop stand out. It's like a new feature I look forward to seeing with the update.
    I'm sure you can download them or find where they are on the file system and throw them into your dropbox for safe keeping.
    Aodhagan wrote: »
    I have to admit, 'designers' put a huge amount of effort into concepts for iOS 7 and they're all terrible and only serve one purpose, to drive traffic to their sites. they're always WAY off the mark and if they were actually good designers they'd be working on something special like iOS/OS X.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    So is io7 really just going to be about flatter design and ridding it of tacky Forstall skeumorphism?

Surely there must be some major functionality changes as well? The look is really cosmetic.
    What look? are you basing what iOS 7 is going to be like based on a few banners? There will be new features as well.

What look? are you basing what iOS 7 is going to be like based on a few banners? There will be new features as well.

My point was, Mr Angry, that all the talk and discussions of ios7 seems to be the looks and Ive's influence on the design but not much about the functions, which are more important.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    My point was, Mr Angry, that all the talk and discussions of ios7 seems to be the looks and Ive's influence on the design but not much about the functions, which are more important.
    I'm not angry in the slightest, it's just funny how a lot of people want these features that we'll never get as we're paying apple to make the right choices for us. we'll get features but i'm just trying to be realistic and not hope for features that rival samsung's GS4. We all need an easy mode on our iphone right?, RIGHT?

the redesign - nay refresh - is a huge story it drives traffic more than speculation of new features, it's also - bar iRadio - the only rumour that seems to have hard evidence to back it.

I'm sure you can download them or find where they are on the file system and throw them into your dropbox for safe keeping.

Not the point I'm saying I'll miss the new background added with every update. Something I look forward to. These new backgrounds don't look had as good. Then again maybe its nothing to do with the desktop background.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I

radio? people still listen to irish radio?

why would you want the weather - of all things - on the lock screen? look out the window :D. I hate the flip time on android as it always has to readjust the time when you turn the screen on.

Yes I listen to radio...

Not every location I am in has a window...and I like a bigger clock so I can see the time more clearly.

Why would someone question everything everyone else has said ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Not the point I'm saying I'll miss the new background added with every update. Something I look forward to. These new backgrounds don't look had as good. Then again maybe its nothing to do with the desktop background.

You're getting this from one poster? The OS X default wallpapers have never had anything to do with posters at WWDC. I would expect them to launch a new galaxy themed wallpaper for OS X.9 as well.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    You're getting this from one poster? The OS X default wallpapers have never had anything to do with posters at WWDC. I would expect them to launch a new galaxy themed wallpaper for OS X.9 as well.

Nope they don't usually have any background. The new wave theme is a strange one. And It made me think maybe they're changing the background wallpaper. Obviously we know nothing until Monday. Curious to the name as well actually. Usually cats so maybe OS X Sabertooth :D Haha Or perhaps this below?
    7kQO7Ir.jpg?2

Why would someone question everything everyone else has said ?

Things on a discussion forum would be quite boring if people didn't question and discuss things ya know? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I'm hoping for an overhaul of Mail. The only reason I jailbroke was to get push for Sparrow mail. There's also some great Cydia tweaks I'd like to see incorporated; intelliscreenx, Aloud (I'm sure Siri could integrate something similar) and Auxo.

So this time tomorrow we'll know what we'll be getting with the latest update. I've a strong feeling its gonna be a very underwhelming keynote.

A few things that I'd love to see, but almost 99% won't be seeing announced tomorrow.

The first and top of my list would have to be an App Store for Apple TV. I could just see so many possibilities there and I'm surprised Apple hasn't done anything about it. RTE Player, TV Guides, Facebook, Maps, and games such as Angry birds. It has built in Bluetooth so any iOS device could be integrated as a controller using the remote app. I think it could be their new big area of interest.

Second would have to be a more customisable iOS. And I'm not talking about widgets. Love to be able to remove stock apps that aren't essential such as stocks and weather and use better third party alternatives. Live icons would be a nice addition too. Maybe even for some of the core apps like settings, phone, messages etc.

A better version of iCloud. While I love what it does id love to see a more Dropbox like service added too. So best of both worlds allowing you to sync almost anything between devices. Whether bought through the App Store or just something you added yourself like a video or a document.

A better sharing system for moving files between devices. Even if its just photos and videos. Some kind of open source platform for all devices. It's annoying not being able to send stuff to family and friends that don't have an up to date iOS device with Photostream. Maybe AirDrop but a better version.

Again I can't see any of this happening tomorrow, some of it never happening at all. Still all the above would definitely be on my wish list.

iOS 7, OS 10.9, iRadio and some Mac hardware announcements is all I'm expecting tomorrow. And that's more than enough. I get the feeling IOS 7 will be mostly cosmetic and under-the-hood improvements.

I'm not sure if it will be in iOS 7, but file management is something I suspect Apple have been working on for quite some time. The challenge they face is how to do it without abandoning the app-centric approach that has worked so well on iOS to date.

An AppleTV SDK is inevitable but they'll announce it a dedicated event when their full television offering is ready.

An AppleTV SDK is inevitable but they'll announce it a dedicated event when their full television offering is ready.

I'm not too sure. Seems like its taking forever and no rumours or leaks as of yet. I'd expect new Hardware to go with it too. I think your right about iRadio. Google got there first so they'll have to offer something bigger and better IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I sure hope this leak isn't 100% accurate. Dots instead of signal bars is interesting but some of the makeovers are rediculous.

http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=30940

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

In fairness to Tim Cook, who I have a huge amount of time for, there have been zero leaks this year. We have some rumors but otherwise no evidence of what it coming this evening.

Makes it all much more interesting! The iPhone 4 and 5 would have been much bigger deals had they been a surprised and not slowly leaked over the upcoming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

banquo wrote: »
    In fairness to Tim Cook, who I have a huge amount of time for, there have been zero leaks this year. We have some rumors but otherwise no evidence of what it coming this evening.

I heard someone make the case that either Tim Cook has doubled down on secrecy or people just aren't as interested in digging for info anymore.

I think it could be a bit of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Nah, there's always great link bait in having a good rumour or a leak.

Most of the anti-Apple reporting is malarky anyway.

banquo wrote: »

Makes it all much more interesting! The iPhone 4 and 5 would have been much bigger deals had they been a surprised and not slowly leaked over the upcoming months.

Well not entirely true. We kind of know what to be expecting today. And a good few details too. iOS 7 with flatter design and the few features that's been reported. OS X with a few power user features that's been added like better multi screen support. Two new airs, maybe an updated to the Pro and MBP. Also a strong possibility of iRadio. That's a lot of info for no leaks. There's been no physical leaks but its not really a hardware conference, and the hardware that is expected isn't supposed to be any radical redesign. So leaks aren't really possibile as it will just look the same as the predecessor.

naasrd wrote: »
    I sure hope this leak isn't 100% accurate. Dots instead of signal bars is interesting but some of the makeovers are rediculous.

http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=30940

To be honest I don't know why people would find app icon changes so serious.

Looks like anybody with an Apple TV will be able to watch the event live. Apple pushed the WWDC to it overnight. Happy I'll be able to watch live for once.

Those screenshots are mock-ups, not how it actually looks.

As for leaks, most (almost all) of the accurate ones are leaked by Apple themselves. The non-Apple leaks are usually hardware related which is hard to keep under wraps. Everything else is just rumour and speculation, which there's so much of that it's bound to right some of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2013/

Above is the link to watch the show later ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

Apple store is down

perhaps they will introduce new products

Advertisement