Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC 2013 announced for June 10-14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

mmalaka wrote: »
    Apple store is down

perhaps they will introduce new products

I love the signs people read into on the banners at WWDC, someone spotted Roman numerals on one of them and thinks it might be a hint at a watch! I don't even know what an iWatch will do but I want one! And here's something odd...spellcheck auto corrects iwatch to...you've guessed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

mmalaka wrote: »
    Apple store is down

perhaps they will introduce new products

Apple must be the only major online store that has to take their website offline to rollout new products or updates. Everyone else can rollout website updates gradually or changes to users as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dudda wrote: »
    Apple must be the only major online store that has to take their website offline to rollout new products or updates. Everyone else can rollout website updates gradually or changes to users as required.
    It's all part of the theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Well not only does it build up hype, acting as a reminder that an Apple event will shortly begin and will feature possible hardware updates, Apples website takes a serious hit during and after the event. What good is it to anyone if their website crashes after their announcements, it only generates bad publicity if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

They don't have to, it's for marketing. Every time they take it down it gets coverage in all the apple blogs (tech blogs too depending on the timing) and starts a mini-frenzy among the fanboys.

Plus it gets people to hang out on the website waiting for it to open back up again, all the while the hype builds from the aforementioned apple blogs. It's very smart marketing really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's not marketing. The store goes and comes back - with no new products - for maintenance all the time. It has to serve multiple countries/currencies, unlike other companies who have almost totally separate operations running in other regions. I don't know of any other online store like it. If they could add new products without taking it down, I believe they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

@OctavarIan
    How do you know they don't have to?

I think they would not take it offline either as Sad Professor suggested above unless it was necessary. OK it adds to the hype but it also shows a negative side. Websites aren't supposed to go offline.... ever. Remember Apple provides online mail, messages and backup services. Having the main site go offline gives a bad impression to me (maybe not everyone) about other services even if they are not related.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

@OctavarIan
    How do you know they don't have to?

I think they would not take it offline either as Sad Professor suggested above unless it was necessary. OK it adds to the hype but it also shows a negative side. Websites aren't supposed to go offline.... ever. Remember Apple provides online mail, messages and backup services. Having the main site go offline gives a bad impression to me (maybe not everyone) about other services even if they are not related.

It's just the store that's offline, not the main site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I find it quite funny that i'm settling in to watch this on the telly.

edit: al gore and woz in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Weird opening video. *Looks very Flat* :D

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    Weird opening video. *Looks very Flat* :D

if thats the style they're going with, i like it.

Doesn't seem to be much hype here as usually for this years WWDC. Have to say though. Love chilling here watching the Event on my 42" TV. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,936 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Car around a track ?

Literally just happened. Once only. Just as he said Onki Drive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Fairly impressive AI with those little cars.

every minute for 5-10 seconds here.

i must be behind everyone, onki are just starting.

Froze again on me. Reckon I'm about 1 minute behind now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,936 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Actually that was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Is the event happening ? I am just seeing a "rights" statement... no vid ...

• Advertisement

Piliger wrote: »
    Is the event happening ? I am just seeing a "rights" statement... no vid ...

started almost 20 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Watching it on my iPad. Seem to be streaming smoothly.

Apple TV is definitely lagging and keeps buffering, web streaming was about 60 seconds ahead from the start and very smooth playback.

prob cos we're streaming HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Fecking thing keeps freezing at an important part haha.

OS X Mavericks is the next release of OS X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

I thought Sea Lion was cuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Mavericks? Really? What's the next one? Goose?

• Advertisement

OS X name change. That's unexpected.

Advertisement