Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC 2013 announced for June 10-14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I thought it was an excellent Keynote. Demos and screens of everything.

Cant wait for iOS 7

EDIT: The guy in the blue shirt whos name escapes me was very very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Justin10

Oh. You are.

No Im not, I asked a simple question, what from the keynote excited IPhone users?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Rochey18 wrote: »
    No Im not, I asked a simple question, what from the keynote excited IPhone users?

And you got the answer. Now piss off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

What a fantastic Keynote ! Mavericks looks abs brilliant and I am wetting myself about iOS7... fantastic !! Bring it on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I thought it was an excellent Keynote. Demos and screens of everything.

Cant wait for iOS 7

Craig Federighi, ye he certainly had a few funny moments.

Really looking forward to iOS 7, Apple yet again proving its still got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

There's basically too much to go into. If you wait and check the official Apple site in the next hour or so there's lots there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Justin10

And you got the answer. Now piss off.

:D ooo Dear, anyone else be able to share what they like from the keynote concerning the IPhone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Craig Federighi, ye he certainly had a few funny moments.

i was just saying he should do them in the Future, he was the best man out there....

I expected a lot less and didn't get my hopes up. My socks are currently knocked off. So many great things. I want it now though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

For me it's goodbye Jailbreak, been nice knowing ya, and hello iOS 7. More than I expected, yet I shouldn't be surprised, this what Apple are great at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

So which devices will get ios7
    iPhone 4 or 4s ?
    iPad 2 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

soundsham wrote: »
    So which devices will get ios7
    iPhone 4 or 4s ?
    iPad 2 ?

iPhone 4 and up, iPad 2 and up.

For Roachey18 and anybody else interested all details of iOS 7 are now on the Apple website. http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Just watched the video for iOS7

I really like the look of it. Not that drastic of a change but finally some things have been implemented that have been missing for a long time.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Bit underwhelming for me..
    ios7 looks great, bit step forward, but a lot if it just shows how bad iOS has gotten, that adding features mostly standard from independent apps and other OS seems like such a step forward.
    Can't wait to use it though.

MacBook airs, update was nothing to do with apple, just put Haswell in.

MacPro, meh. Just put in higher end uP and dropped HDD and again relied on
    intel for thunderbolt 2 so could make it a compact chassis.

They are all good updates, but after a long long wait, a bit meh for me.

The 'we are great' ad at the end was symptomatic for me, very defensive of
    innovation, when there was little actual innovation to stand up for itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

:D ooo Dear, anyone else be able to share what they like from the keynote concerning the IPhone?

To be honest Rochey I'm bowled over by the lot, in fact I'm still takin it in. It was punch after punch after punch. I had my ipad hooked up to my 42 inch tv and it was like Xmas day. 90% of my purchases on Cydia are redundant now. I love the look of it too. Heading off to watch the whole iOS 7 video again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Find my iPhone now requires your Apple ID password to turn off. And to erase the phone.

Finally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Type looks too big in places,
    The core apps look like they were designed by different teams
    Icons are just bad design from good principles (the golden rule was previewed in the video)

Functionally it will work well, but aesthetically it could do with some serious rethinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

naasrd wrote: »
    To be honest Rochey I'm bowled over by the lot, in fact I'm still takin it in. It was punch after punch after punch. I had my ipad hooked up to my 42 inch tv and it was like Xmas day. 90% of my purchases on Cydia are redundant now. I love the look of it too. Heading off to watch the whole iOS 7 video again!
    The huge redesign of iOS7 is exactly what so many people were dreaming of. The new apps and redesigned ones look awesome.
    The numbers on how iOS is used in comparison with Android et al are also shocking. This confirmed a lot of what I have been recently reading and it is clear that the iPhone/iPad is blowing everything else away. This new iOS7 will finish the job.
    I hope to be getting an iMac in Autumn so I cannot wait to get this new Mavericks. The tabs Finder looks amazing and just confirms how absolutely ghastly Windows8 is - unfortunately I am forced to use it part of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

They used very selective figures when comparing with Android, although I admit the fragmentation of android os is a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Fantastic event, much more than I anticipated. Some somewhat minor updates to OSX, but some great new features added to further it ahead of Windows in terms of convenience and ease-of-use. Was blown away with the Mac Pro, design and size wise - quite unique, yet almost going back to Apple's traditional glossy black from their step toward aluminium.

iOS7 stole the show though. The OS has looked outdated for some time now, and was in need to be overhauled. Some slightly dodgy App icon designs IMO, but overall it looks fantastic. The Weather App, Messaging, the translucent keyboard, multitasking, Control Centre, Music/Video Player, Lock-Screen access to Notification Centre - in many ways it has just caught up to Android's main features, and finally added features that should have been there for a while, but they have been implemented beautifully. I'd imagine this will capture the attention of many Android users. Who knows, maybe Widgets may follow down the road.

I only wish we could have seen more of iOS7 on the iPad, I would have liked to of seen how it adapts over to a bigger screen. Will have to wait a few weeks for the beta to be released.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Well the Apple developer site is completely unresponsive at the moment, I wonder what that could be about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

iOS7, the interface animations and transitions take it to the next level. And it looks like they're finally waking up on the feature side of things.

Visually though it looks like someone's custom Android skin. The rush-job really shows through graphically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Stunning*

*except I'm sorry but that safari icon is rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

No mention of a Keyboard API so we can have swipe like android? I really wanted that.

Bit pissed no airdrop support for my iPhone 4S too. Only iPhone 5. Otherwise not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

copacetic wrote: »
    Bit underwhelming for me..
    ios7 looks great, bit step forward, but a lot if it just shows how bad iOS has gotten, that adding features mostly standard from independent apps and other OS seems like such a step forward.
    Can't wait to use it though.
    This. It looks nice and a big UI overhaul has been overdue now, but a lot of it was applauding themselves for adding in features that should have been in iOS 1. One-tap control panel and true multitasking? Thanks for joining the rest of us in 2007, Apple.
    The UI change though should hopefully make the phone more interesting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Delighted they've done more than just update some icons. iOS 7 looks really great. Overdue, but great. It's like they've combined the best if W8 and iOS.

Control centre, FINALLY, and airdrop are the highlights for me. The only I didn't like at all was the look of Safari. I do like the shrinking/disappearing toolbar mechanism though. Reminds me of the Pinterest app which is great.

One unavoidable drawback, though, is considering how long some developers took to update their apps to use the bigger iP5 screen, it'll be a long bloody time before we see a uniform experience across all apps.

Good for Jony Ive. Talk about pressure to deliver... :P

Few thoughts on todays events...

Pros
    I was definitely overwhelmed, more than I have in quite some time by an Apple event. It was literally so much happening that I got lost in it all. Normally after an event i'm able to repeat some of the features but with iOS 7 it was feature after feature and changes here and there. It has blown any expectations out of the water. Shocked at how much has changed with it, and I didnt expect such a drastic improvement.

Even with the OS X update. It was a good few features from my wishlist. But iOS 7 had just so many, even some unnoticed such as notification sync, control centre, Airdrop, multitasking and even the small updates to camera.

The redesign of two apps I've really neglected (Weather and Mail) was really nice. Made them look like some of the premium apps currently on the app store.

The whole event was really what i'd expect from a leading company like Apple.

Cons
    Some of the app icons I didn't like. But that is such a tiny insignificant thing I'm barely gonna be bothered.
    Also some features seemed limited. E.g. allowing you to customise Control Centre, and also AirDrop seemed like a way to just share links. No photos or videos. But we'll soon see.

Overall i'm so happy with the announcement. Before stuff like the 3D style wallpapers would of been a standout feature of the whole OS. Today it was lost in all the excitement.

Bravo Apple!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

Poor Apple TV, left out in the cold again.

Looking forward to these being released. Will buy the new OSX although my ageing iMac may struggle with it. the new iOS is a shoe in. Currently have a 4s, may upgrade to a 5s to take advantage of the newer features.

I hate the way the US gets the best features though. We're really behind the times with some of the technology available to us.

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    Poor Apple TV, left out in the cold again.

Looking forward to these being released. Will buy the new OSX although my ageing iMac may struggle with it. the new iOS is a shoe in. Currently have a 4s, may upgrade to a 5s to take advantage of the newer features.

I hate the way the US gets the best features though. We're really behind the times with some of the technology available to us.

Although no update, I really liked the new multiple screen support added. So instead of just mirroring the screen it will allow it to act as an additional monitor. Major feature for OS X. Only got annoyed by this the other day watching the XBox keynote and being unable to use the Mac while it was on.

Also it seems only iTunes Radio is US only. The rest seems like it's available to us all.

Advertisement