Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC 2013 announced for June 10-14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Jaysus, that's so much better than I expected. Rather excited now!

Hurry up "fall".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

That's actually a .dmg file?? I just downloaded it now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

miralize wrote: »
    * Most apps do not work. Had trouble with Dropbox, Mailbox, Twitter Auth

Restore the phone from your most recent backup, this sorted out problems with iMessage, Dropbox and Mailbox for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The more I look at this (having just seen the videos rather than stills), the more this WWDC seems to have been, "Hey guys! Look at all this cool stuff we're doing now that someone else has been doing for at least five years!"

Proper multiple monitor support? Online office suite? Translucency? File sharing on your device? The rest of the technology industry has had this stuff as standard for a long time. They've also stolen a lot of design elements from everyone else. Swipe up to unlock; Yep, Microsoft got there first...

Also the flat redesign isn't exactly revolutionary. It's bandwagony, falling in line with the current design trends.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to getting iOS 7 and feeling like I've got a refreshed device. And I've no doubt that Apple will do this stuff really well. I just find it bizarre to see Apple and a whole pile of people jumping up and down about how wonderful a job Apple have done on this one. What they've actually done is take a big list of all of the easy stuff their devices have been missing for years and rolled it all into one update.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

seamus wrote: »
    The more I look at this (having just seen the videos rather than stills), the more this WWDC seems to have been, "Hey guys! Look at all this cool stuff we're doing now that someone else has been doing for at least five years!"

Proper multiple monitor support? Online office suite? Translucency? File sharing on your device? The rest of the technology industry has had this stuff as standard for a long time. They've also stolen a lot of design elements from everyone else. Swipe up to unlock; Yep, Microsoft got there first...

Also the flat redesign isn't exactly revolutionary. It's bandwagony, falling in line with the current design trends.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to getting iOS 7 and feeling like I've got a refreshed device. And I've no doubt that Apple will do this stuff really well. I just find it bizarre to see Apple and a whole pile of people jumping up and down about how wonderful a job Apple have done on this one. What they've actually done is take a big list of all of the easy stuff their devices have been missing for years and rolled it all into one update.

You don't really know Apple if you think that. And it's still slide to unlock. You slide up to reveal control centre and slide down to reveal notification centre.

Apple have never been about getting there first. Apple has always been about taking something and making it the best. ;)

Like the tablet form factor and OS, did they not realise Microsoft had that years ago. You'd wonder why Apple bothered :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Graham wrote: »
    Like the tablet form factor and OS, did they not realise Microsoft had that years ago. You'd wonder why Apple bothered :pac:
    But that's different. The tablet was dead. When they released the iPad, people scoffed and said it's just a big phone, there'll never be a market.

iWork in the iCloud is just jumping on board with an established and popular technology. The Apple of the last six years has been about taking known technologies and reinventing them. Look at the multi-billion-dollar global markets that Apple single-handedly created - smartphones, app stores, tablets, online music sales.

None of them new technologies, but all of them revolutionary because of their implementation.

There is nothing at all like that in this set of updates. Except for a cylindrical desktop.

The crux of your comment appears to be there's no completely new product category (a la iPod/iPhone/iPad). That would probably be fair to say.

Remember that this event marked the start of the WWDC though, a developers conference that includes a few new products/product enhancements. It's not really an Apple newproductpalooza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

It was a fairly major incremental refresh of an existing OS, I'm not sure how much whelm you can build into that.

I'd echo your sentiments about an App Store for Apple TV though, it's long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

It was a fairly major incremental refresh of an existing OS, I'm not sure how much whelm you can build into that.

I'd echo your sentiments about an App Store for Apple TV though, it's long overdue.

That really dismayed me that there was no update or app store for the device.

culabula wrote: »
    That really dismayed me that there was no update or app store for the device.

Multi-screen/device Apps centred around the Apple TV could be an absolute console killer for most casual gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I wouldn't of expected that to be announced yesterday. If they do announce an App Store I'd say it will be long down the line. Seems like they've had their hands busy with the iOS overhaul. Even the iPad version wasn't ready.

WWDC was the perfect place to announce the new store. But at the same time it will most likely be announced at its own keynote taking centre stage. I can just think of so many possibilities for it.

Yesterday's keynote was exciting enough for me and went well beyond what I expected from Apple. It's like all the stuff they've been missing the past few years have been thrown in there. So what if they're late to the game. I don't care I'm just glad it's finally here.

And yeah a lot of stuff has been on Android or as Jailbreak tweaks, but Android have been taking iOS features for years it's about time it went the other way.

I'm thinking an option for a black theme would be nice.

So it seems you don't need a dev account to register your device with iOS 7. Similar to some of the Golden Masters in the past. So this means you can just download iOS 7 from any of the links online and install it.

My question for the few people here with iOS 7, can you downgrade back to 6.1.3?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

So...to install not not.....

iclarified have verified you can roll back....

http://www.iclarified.com/31004/how-to-downgrade-from-ios-7-beta-to-ios-6

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

DubDJ wrote: »
    So it seems you don't need a dev account to register your device with iOS 7. Similar to some of the Golden Masters in the past. So this means you can just download iOS 7 from any of the links online and install it.

My question for the few people here with iOS 7, can you downgrade back to 6.1.3?

I'm seeing a few reports of people that installed the Beta without registering their device UDID in their developer accounts. Hello iBrick.

I'm not suggesting you're wrong DubDJ, just proceed with caution if you need your phone.

Added: I agree that an Apple TV App Store would definitely warrant its own event.

Android have been taking iOS features for years it's about time it went the other way.

Like what? Genuine question.

Yeah I've never had to have a dev account to update in the past. I don't mind using my iPhone as a guinea pig!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I'm seeing a few reports of people that installed the Beta without registering their device UDID in their developer accounts. Hello iBrick.

I'm not suggesting you're wrong DubDJ, just proceed with caution if you need your phone.

Added: I agree that an Apple TV App Store would definitely warrant its own event.

Any links. I'm nearly certain I just installed the iOS 4 beta on my 3GS without getting the udid registered

Sorry guil, the posts are on a particular members only dev forum. There's not a deluge of failures but there are a few 'how do I restore', 'I forgot to add my UDID' etc etc.

To be clear, I'm not saying it won't work, I just wouldn't be offering up my iPhone as the sacrificial guinea pig.

Like what? Genuine question.

Well just from the most recent event, Google Play Games was a complete copy of Game Centre. Even adding the game progress sync that Apple uses through iCloud. Hangouts was the Android version of iMessage (plus they mentioned its planned to be integrated to the Messages app just like iMessages) and even down to getting involved with the Education market, same as Apple did last year.

Not tryna start the typical debate that always ends up here but just saying if Android takes a few things from Apple than why not the other way around. Also to note a lot of the stuff from yesterday was also actually third party ideas rather than from the Android team itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

While I agree wholly to what you said, and actually I was quite shocked to see them going into great depth into the multiple monitor support on OSX (I was always under the illusion that OSX could do that for years now!), the thing with Apple is that when they do eventually get around to implementing these heavily available features, Apple have a way of doing it a way that just works and often creates a standard to how it should be done.

Take AirDrop for example to share files. Phil Schiller had a point when he said that you don't have to go around to each individual and "bump" your phone to share a file - a stab at Android Beam and NFC I assume, or even the App 'Bump'. It should be as easy as pressing a button to send a file to another person in fairness.

While there's little innovation in the idea in terms of the features Apple announced, there's innovation in how it is implemented. While I know I sound quite Fanboy-ish (I'm actually a long time Android user), but I know from experience that Apple have a tendency of just making things work.

Dman001 wrote: »
    Take AirDrop for example to share files. Phil Schiller had a point when he said that you don't have to go around to each individual and "bump" your phone to share a file - a stab at Android Beam and NFC I assume, or even the App 'Bump'. It should be as easy as pressing a button to send a file to another person in fairness.

That's all well and good, but give me NFC any day. It has far more capabilities than just sharing a photo.

I wonder if it means the next iPhone won't have it either....

Think I'll be mosying on back to the other side.

The problem with airdrop is that you need wifi. With NFC you don't.

That's all well and good, but give me NFC any day. It has far more capabilities than just sharing a photo.

I wonder if it means the next iPhone won't have it either....

Think I'll be mosying on back to the other side.

The problem with NFC is obviously the phone has to have an NFC radio and the object has to be NFC tagged (or the recipient device has to have an NFC radio). No extra hardware necessary for Airdrop.

My Nexus 4 has NFC and its fantastic for reading and writing the box of NFC tags that I bought for testing. In fact I can quite honestly say its probably one of the best devices out there for, errr, hmmmm, ahhhhhh, reading the box of NFC tags I bought for testing :pac:

mad muffin wrote: »
    The problem with airdrop is that you need wifi. With NFC you don't.

The problem with NFC is you need NFC, with wifi you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

The problem with NFC is you need NFC, with wifi you don't.

The problem with NFC is that you have to be NEAR ... with wifi you don't.

NFC is a waste of time and resources until NFC starts to be used somewhere useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

@mad muffin NFC on mobile devices is only used to initiate a connection, then the file itself is sent via Bluetooth (Nokia Lumias for example) or WiFi Direct (Samsung GS3). So Wifi/Bluetooth has to be present on a device anyway.

Advertisement