Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 not connecting on 2g

• 24-04-2013 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I got an iPhone5 two week ago as an upgrade from a 3GS. I live in the country so have 3G turned off unless I am in town to save battery life as there is no 3G at home. Whenever I go to check emails. Safari or any other app requiring Internet it won't connect for me. For example a message comes on the screen for gmail saying "cannot get gmail no Internet connection available" even though my phone shows three or four bars of coverage. I gave my old 3GS to a friend and it works perfect without an issue on 2g. I was on to Vodafone and am sick of them telling me to reset network setting as it makes a difference for a while and then it acts up again. Is this a common issue with these handsets or just mine? As stated the 3GS works flawless on the 2g and opens email or whatever required.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Go to your nearest Vodafone shop and get them to replace your sim. If that doesn't help, contact Apple and they'll replace your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭slim223

Already had a sim change. It made no difference. Vodafone are supposed to collect the phone today for repair. Should I leave them take it or is it better to send it to apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

slim223 wrote: »
    Already had a sim change. It made no difference. Vodafone are supposed to collect the phone today for repair. Should I leave them take it or is it better to send it to apple.

All they do is send it off to Appe anyway. I would call Apple and deal with them directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

slim223 wrote: »
    I got an iPhone5 two week ago as an upgrade from a 3GS. I live in the country so have 3G turned off unless I am in town to save battery life as there is no 3G at home. Whenever I go to check emails. Safari or any other app requiring Internet it won't connect for me. For example a message comes on the screen for gmail saying "cannot get gmail no Internet connection available" even though my phone shows three or four bars of coverage. I gave my old 3GS to a friend and it works perfect without an issue on 2g. I was on to Vodafone and am sick of them telling me to reset network setting as it makes a difference for a while and then it acts up again. Is this a common issue with these handsets or just mine? As stated the 3GS works flawless on the 2g and opens email or whatever required.

Just curious.... where do you see the setting to switch 3G off? Ive only got the option to disable Cellular data (on 4S). Are you using IOS 6.1.3 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

CJackson wrote: »
    Just curious.... where do you see the setting to switch 3G off? Ive only got the option to disable Cellular data (on 4S). Are you using IOS 6.1.3 ?

Settings > General > Cellular (on) > Enable 3G.

However, your carrier profile might disable this feature (if, for example, your carrier only wanted you to use 3G, because 2G roaming arrangements would cost them!).

• Advertisement

Phone was collected yesterday. hopefully I'll have good news next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

cgarvey wrote: »
    Settings > General > Cellular (on) > Enable 3G.

However, your carrier profile might disable this feature (if, for example, your carrier only wanted you to use 3G, because 2G roaming arrangements would cost them!).

Cheers for that . Any idea which carriers lock their signal to just 3G?

Im currently with Three and so get the full range of signals from GPRS>Edge>3G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

CJackson wrote: »
    Cheers for that . Any idea which carriers lock their signal to just 3G?

Im currently with Three and so get the full range of signals from GPRS>Edge>3G.
    Afaik three only have a 3G network and piggyback on Vodafone's EDGE network

Got a new replacement last Wednesday. It started acting up again on Thursday. Got on to Vodafone technical and was told to turn off wifi when not in use as this may be causing the problem. Seems to be working ok so far for now.

Advertisement