Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill,what would enhance it now?

Options

Comments

carrick76 wrote: »
    Pedestrianise between Seapoint and O'Connors. Allow restaurants and pubs to put more tables outside. It's horrible at the moment with cars everywhere.
    Excellent idea - it shouldn't cost the earth and there are alternative routes for traffic/busses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Excellent idea - it shouldn't cost the earth and there are alternative routes for traffic/busses.

im sure the council would be able to make sure it costs a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

carrick76 wrote: »
    Pedestrianise between Seapoint and O'Connors. Allow restaurants and pubs to put more tables outside. It's horrible at the moment with cars everywhere.

That's an excellent idea, all it would take would be to remove the parking on either side of the road and extend the footpath out where the parking currently is, that way it wouldn't prevent traffic from going through. It would be lovely to have an outside cafe/restaurant type scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Yes alternate traffic routes... nothing wrong with bottling up Taylors Hill with thousands more cars a year seeing as it's already such a wide and accomodating road.
    In ideal world maybe it'd be ok but as it stands, no.

I personally think we have enough pedestrianisation. People forget that pedestrianising whole swathes of a city does preclude them from use for certain groups. Eldery people, people with certain disabilities, people with small kids can't always just dump the car and walk a mile to get somewhere. There are sizable minorities who can't even think of going to shops on shop street as it stands because of this. I'd hate to see a resource like the prom become the preserve of only the more able bodied.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

There are sizable minorities who can't even think of going to shops on shop street as it stands because of this. I'd hate to see a resource like the prom become the preserve of only the more able bodied.
    Why should the able bodied majority miss out just to pander to small minorities? I know it's all the rage these days but a line has to be drawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Why should the able bodied majority miss out just to pander to small minorities? I know it's all the rage these days but a line has to be drawn.

A line you might find yourself on the other end of tomorrow if you or a relative have an accident/get sick/whatever.

It's not "pandering", a line that excludes some people from the nicest thing about the city is an unnecessary and ignorant line to be drawing in my opinion.

Not interested in a great boardsie style debate on the subject of social exclusion/inclusion over imaginary Salthil alterations. That's just my opinion. From my experience it's a valid consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Salthill is certainly not as nice as it used to be. I walked up the main street the other day and it was dirty, loads of little & loads of rough looking types about (not everyone but there were a good few!).

I think the whole street needs a good clean for a start. There are a lot of businesses gone (sign of the times) but those buildings need to be redeveloped..Warwick, DaRobertas Osteria, Sacre Coeur (pity this is so wrecked now!), Oasis/angels whatever you want to call it!!, Waterfront Hotel and the shops that are vacant between CoCo cafe and it, Bailypoint etc...and multiple other places.

The funfair can look tack when it's there. Could do with a clean-up or reorganisation or something.

The walk along the links between Blackrock and the caravan park-the dog poo...ewwww...major clean up needed there!!!!

The playground beside the aquarium..the equipment was broken there recently. And the grass is always waaaay too long in Toft Park. It's not well kept. Should be kept better so children can play on it. The way it is now it's permanently like a meadow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Salthill needs a serious lick of paint.

The salthill airshow would be cool and would help with tourism. I would reckon many who emigrated from Galway would come back for a holiday for it.

What's needed then is something different. Like what's in that building Baily Point, is it called? It's so out of character for Salthill, but that rant would be for a different day. Is that place empty? Wasn't a cinema orginally going to be in it? What's needed is something different like the biggest cinema screen in Ireland/Europe. I wonder could that be achieved in Salthill in one of the empty buildings? Would there be a needed for it?

The fireworks display held last year as part of the 4th of July American volvo race festitivies was very cool. A once a year repeat of that would be lovely but highly doubtful that will happen because as far as I know the Americans paid for that display.

I'm out of ideas for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

It definitely needs a clean up alright. Would be great to have less standard parking and more seating outside the restaurants and pubs..but then would also need more sun too.

Its all been mentioned before but a consolidated planning strategy needs to be put forward and adhered to. The parks should be given a face lift and personally id like more things to do on the sea.

Blackrock is great for a swim and jump but reckon there should be more. I know you can go windsurfing in rusheen bay, but would love more water based action based in salthill. Know its a health and safety nightmare but would love to be able to rent open top kayaks for an hour and maybe throw some inflatable trampolines and slides over by the pontoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

blackhound wrote: »
    That's an excellent idea, all it would take would be to remove the parking on either side of the road and extend the footpath out where the parking currently is, that way it wouldn't prevent traffic from going through. It would be lovely to have an outside cafe/restaurant type scenario.

It would be a bit of a balls for all the people living in houses surrounding the church, no access to their homes by car anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Pearse Stadium is such an underutilised facility. Can you imagine it it was transformed into a municipal floodtlit all seater stadium? Connacht Rugby and Galway United FC (when they come back next year...!) and the GAA teams would reap the benefits. As well as concerts.

Leave Connacht where they are.

Pearse Stadium is a pain in the backside to get to for people travelling from outside the immediade Salthill area and the city in general.

One of the selling points of the Sportsground is being a five minute walk from the train and bus stations, as well as any amount of pubs and restaurants.

As for Galway United playing there - The crowds they used to get in Terryland would seem very muted in a stadium 4 times the size. The intimate nature of Deasy Park provides a better atmosphere and the playing surface there is one of the best soccer pitches in the country.

Pearse Stadium is a fine facility and has hosted concerts since its redevolopment, (Bob Dylan and Andrea Boccelli spring to mind). However, as it is located in a residential area and is unlikely to be granted a licence to host more than 2 or 3 a year.

Its up to the GAA to use it to its full potential and they're doing a good job at that. Having said that, I'd prefer to see inter county league games being played at different grounds around the county.

Pearse Stadium is in the wrong place I reckon and an opportunity was lost to sell it off and relocate in a purpose built all seater stadium instead of remaining where it is, an awkward place to get to surrounded by housing estates.

Getting back on topic and somewhat related to the above, I think there is potential to redevelop Leisureland into a large multi purpose indoor sports and arts venue. A place capable of hositng international events. Similar to the Odyssey Arena in Belfast on a smaller scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jcro

I like the idea of pedestrianizing main street from O'Connors to Seapoint also.
    Bollards such as the one on cross street can be installed to allow the few who need mobile accesss through. Shop street proves it can work to the benefit of business and people.Along with that I would like to see some ornate covering over some of the area to allow people to sit out without getting drenched..
    Rubbish ,ugly bins, too many cars and dog poo spoil the experience.
    Jcro.

There should be more family-themed activities. I haven't been out to Seapoint in years, but the last time I was there it was terrible in comparison to how it used to be as a child.

They should ban drinking along the majority of the beach and have this regularly enforced by the Gardaí, who should force people to pick up their dog's shite.

Bailey's Point should either be demolished entirely or redeveloped itself.. you'd think with the years it took to make, they'd've got it right.

There should be an area where bands can set up and preform.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Perhaps Salthill could have some really distinctive piece of public art that people would make a point of seeing while in Galway. Something a bit mad and different that would get people interested in seeing it if they happen to be in the area.

Then again the most obvious improvement for Salthill would be if the Aquarium had shark with frickin laser beams on their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

They should ban drinking along the majority of the beach and have this regularly enforced by the Gardaí, who should force people to pick up their dog's shite.

on people allowing their dogs to crap on the Prom, a bye-law should be passed that only dogs on leashes are allowed on the Prom - then any owner can't plead the lame line 'but it was following behind me, i didn't see it poop so how do you know that my dear little terrier did it?'

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's an offence to drink in a public place, not to clean up your dog poop and to not to keep your dog under control. Next!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's an offence to drink in a public place, not to clean up your dog poop and to not keep your dog under control.

to be exact, the law states dogs must "be under your effective control", it doesn't specifcally state on a leash. on http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html#l1f4da under Bye-laws it says that "Many local authorities have introduced bye-laws to indicate areas where dogs must be kept on a leash or even prohibited. "

so why not pass a local bye-law that effectively enforces the "effective" part of the control that's lacking in the national law?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

jkforde wrote: »
    to be exact, the law states dogs must "be under your effective control", it doesn't specifcally state on a leash. on http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html#l1f4da under Bye-laws it says that "Many local authorities have introduced bye-laws to indicate areas where dogs must be kept on a leash or even prohibited. "
    so why not pass a local bye-law that effectively enforces the "effective" part of the control that's lacking in the national law?
    Does anyone actually enforce the existing bye-laws :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Lapin wrote: »
    A place capable of hositng international events. Similar to the Odyssey Arena in Belfast on a smaller scale.

Believe it or no there was a time when Leisureland was the largest concert arena in Ireland. Dire Straits played there in the 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I was out in the seapoint ballroom to see Stewart Lee, I never even knew that place existed, I just thought it was amusements. more stuff like that would be deadly, live shows, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

It'd be lovely if the bandstand in the park was used. I thought that the county council (arts grants) could facilite one of our local brass bands playing one or two concerts in the stand. I think there could be a niche for a really nice gift shop or two to up the browse-ability of the place.

The Bailey was supposed to be a cinema. That'd be great if it was just finished.

Greaney wrote: »
    It'd be lovely if the bandstand in the park was used. I thought that the county council (arts grants) could facilite one of our local brass bands playing one or two concerts in the stand. I think there could be a niche for a really nice gift shop or two to up the browse-ability of the place.

The Bailey was supposed to be a cinema. That'd be great if it was just finished.

I think the cinema seats and everything are actually in there.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Believe it or no there was a time when Leisureland was the largest concert arena in Ireland. Dire Straits played there in the 80s.

True, but the place has long since been overtaken by other venues and outlived its original purpose.

When was the last time any big acts performed there?

I think there is huge potential on the existing site to replace what is there now with a multi purpose venue capable of hosting, exhibitions, conferances, trade fairs etc as well as concerts and major indoor sporting events.

Knock it down, ditch the funfair and replace the whole site with a landmark building that would put Salthill, Galway City and even Ireland at the top of any event promoters choice.

Take the World Snooker Championships taking place in Sheffield at the moment for example. The Crucible Theatre is world famous as the annual venue for the tournament and a huge asset to the city as a result.

Salthill could have some of that !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I was in Cork at the weekdend and they were having a book fair on Grand Parade- a fair few stands selling books, an area for authors giving talks and some food stands.
    Stuff like this & other 'markets' would be nice. In Dublin every year they have People's Art weekend, artists display their art around a section of the outside of Stephens Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Lapin wrote: »
    True, but the place has long since been overtaken by other venues and outlived its original purpose.

When was the last time any big acts performed there?

I think there is huge potential on the existing site to replace what is there now with a multi purpose venue capable of hosting, exhibitions, conferances, trade fairs etc as well as concerts and major indoor sporting events.

Knock it down, ditch the funfair and replace the whole site with a landmark building that would put Salthill, Galway City and even Ireland at the top of any event promoters choice.

Take the World Snooker Championships taking place in Sheffield at the moment for example. The Crucible Theatre is world famous as the annual venue for the tournament and a huge asset to the city as a result.

Salthill could have some of that !

It was built about 45 years ago. Unlikely that public funds will be available in the near future to rebuild

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

nuac wrote: »
    It was built about 45 years ago. Unlikely that public funds will be available in the near future to rebuild

And unless things have changed since 2011, I don't think that the biggest problem is the facility itself. ref: http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/35689

nuac wrote: »

I think that goes without saying.

But the thread title only asks what we think would enhance Salthill, not how to pay for it.

However after reading that article in the post above, one way might be to have the council sell it off to someone who actually knows how to run the damn place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

I think an open top bus, the Galway hurlers and Liam McCarthy would give the place a boost and I hope it happens soon.

(once Dublin win Sam of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Bring Back Vagabonds !!!!!
    That is all.. :D

• Advertisement

They should ban drinking along the majority of the beach and have this regularly enforced by the Gardaí

Its already illegal to drink in public (stupid rule) and I'd hope it would be overlooked as it is rather than new by-laws brought in. Have a garda presence of course but once people are behaving themselves why should they not be allowed to enjoy a few drinks in the sun on the beach like you can do when abroad on holidays where plenty of beaches have bars or stalls selling drinks.

Advertisement