Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill,what would enhance it now?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

A line you might find yourself on the other end of tomorrow if you or a relative have an accident/get sick/whatever.
    That's fine, I'm not a selfish person so I don't mind when the majority are catered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

They need to put the bleedin' raft at Blackrock out earlier. Today would have been a perfect day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,467 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Bring Back TWIGGS !!!!!
    That is all.. :D

fyp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Salthill needs to have its crazy traffic sorted out to make it more of a place where people want to relax, eat, drink, stroll etc in the main street where the shops and services are.

At the moment it's a traffic-choked mess, in my view.

The D'Arcy roundabout is pedestrian-unfriendly, and people -- including droves of children at times -- have to take stupidly circuitous routes in certain circumstances just to cross the road. Because pedestrians are forced to walk a distance to cross, so that the flow of cars is not duly interrupted imo, many of them cross directly and have to filter through two lines of parked cars, many of them illegally parked on the double yellow lines along the raised median or even in the right-turn approach lane to the roundabout itself. It's commonplace to see children in buggies being hauled over the raised median.

The raised median should be removed, and a much more free-flowing pedestrian crossing arrangement installed. There are far too many parking spaces in this area, and illegal parking (and driving, eg u-turns) is rampant. A large chunk of the parking should be removed, and the space reallocated for other transit use. Rigorous parking controls should be introduced to curb car use, make the place more amenable to families and people on foot and free up space for other modes of travel.

Salthill needs its own Local Area Plan, with some vision and strategic thinking behind it.

A sea organ / musical prom would be cool.

This is one in Zadar, Croatia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBhk5KFwLVc

Reminds me of the giant theremin in Melbourne.

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Salthill needs to have its crazy traffic sorted out to make it more of a place where people want to relax, eat, drink, stroll etc in the main street where the shops and services are.

At the moment it's a traffic-choked mess, in my view.

The D'Arcy roundabout is pedestrian-unfriendly, and people -- including droves of children at times -- have to take stupidly circuitous routes in certain circumstances just to cross the road. Because pedestrians are forced to walk a distance to cross, so that the flow of cars is not duly interrupted imo, many of them cross directly and have to filter through two lines of parked cars, many of them illegally parked on the double yellow lines along the raised median or even in the right-turn approach lane to the roundabout itself. It's commonplace to see children in buggies being hauled over the raised median.

The raised median should be removed, and a much more free-flowing pedestrian crossing arrangement installed. There are far too many parking spaces in this area, and illegal parking (and driving, eg u-turns) is rampant. A large chunk of the parking should be removed, and the space reallocated for other transit use. Rigorous parking controls should be introduced to curb car use, make the place more amenable to families and people on foot and free up space for other modes of travel.

Salthill needs its own Local Area Plan, with some vision and strategic thinking behind it.

I really really hope you never get even an ounce of control over anything in this city.

Remove parking??? You are not well in the head, people need parking in the area to come in and enjoy the area its more parking that's needed not less. People travel in from all parts of the county and beyond and need to be able to park close by to the amenities. People might have a boot full of stuff they need when going to the beach etc how the hell can they drag all that along with them or load it onto a bus.

If I couldn't park I would never bother going near Salthill to be honest and that just me on my own with no stuff. The appeal of the a walk on the prom would disappear if I couldn't park right beside it for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

The appeal of the a walk on the prom would disappear if I couldn't park right beside it for instance.

I think that statement demonstrates everything that is wrong with Irish attitudes to driving, parking, and planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Isn't it wonderful how we all have such different opinions, and can discuss them in a civilized way. :)

IMHO, the only thing Iwannahurl missed is a far more frequent bus-service (every 15 minutes in winter, every 5 in summer) from the city, and a half-hourly services from Barna via Knocknacarra and Salthill thru to Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Wouldn't have minded a cycle route along the prom actually. I mean you have to think why you would actually 'want' to go to Salthill and right now after views, walking and a water slide I can't see much else sadly.

Little My wrote: »
    I think that statement demonstrates everything that is wrong with Irish attitudes to driving, parking, and planning.

Why?

A lot of people stop off for a quick walk on the way home from work or if they are shopping etc. The appeal would disappear very fast for a lot of people, especially those who live out the country, if it involved all the hassle of parking in one place and getting a bus to salthill and back, maybe doubling the length of time it takes and just making it painful. Why would anyone be happy with that?

Being able to park by the prom, have your 30 minute walk and hop back in the car and drive home is a big appeal to a lot of people.

• Advertisement

Little My wrote: »

For many years now the attitude in this country has been that a pedestrian is merely someone who has just parked their car.

Signs of change at last, though. Excerpt from the new Design Manual for Urban Roads and Streets (5MB):
    Street design can be more effective in cost and efficiency, slowing traffic speeds, through understanding and addressing driver behaviour. Careful place-making will protect heritage and tourism potential whilst facilitating growth and new uses. Better quality public realm will promote civic confidence and can attract stakeholder investment, thus creating jobs. Encouraging walking and cycling, linked to easier access for a broad range of ages and abilities, will ensure liveliness and interaction on streets, thereby increasing vibrancy and improving commercial and retail activity. The cumulative economic, social and environmental impacts of transport choices on the design of the built environment are often overlooked. A focus on improved street design will contribute to better value for money, social inclusion and reduced carbon emissions. The sustainable urban neighbourhood is diverse, focused on identifiable centres, and walkable. Streets and roads should join rather than separate places and communities. The sustainable urban neighbourhood provides the principal building block of a viable community whether at the scale of village, town or city.

IMHO, the only thing Iwannahurl missed is a far more frequent bus-service (every 15 minutes in winter, every 5 in summer) from the city, and a half-hourly services from Barna via Knocknacarra and Salthill thru to Newcastle.

A frequent, reliable and easy-to-use bus service is essential. Public transport from Salthill to the city centre and back is less frequent today than it was at peak times in the days of horse-drawn trams.

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Wouldn't have minded a cycle route along the prom actually. I mean you have to think why you would actually 'want' to go to Salthill and right now after views, walking and a water slide I can't see much else sadly.

There is a proposal gathering dust somewhere for a cycle route from the city to Barna, iirc. Right now there are many cyclists using the Prom footpath every day for lack of a more conducive and appropriate (as well as legal) route. Meanwhile the speed of cars on the R336, even with cars parked the whole way along, is occasionally mind-boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Guys. Stay on topic. We're not here to discuss cars, speed limits or people's attitudes.

Advertisement