Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Answers!

Options
  • 24-04-2013 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi everyone :)
    I got 83 in higher English in the mocks... My first B since first year. I was a bit disappointed because English is one of my best subjects. I think that my real problem was not having enough time to write long enough answers in studied drama/poetry sections. Does anyone have any good techniques for timing? How long should a 30 mark question be? Hope ye can help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

15 marks at least 3/4 of a page, work from that. 30 marks = Around 1.5 pages, 10 marks = half a page etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭glitzandbits

15 marks at least 3/4 of a page, work from that. 30 marks = Around 1.5 pages, 10 marks = half a page etc etc

That's what I've always thought but then my teacher says 2.5 for 30 marks? There's honestly no time in the exam for that :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The main thing is to answer the question - the length of the answer is secondary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

For every 5 marks, you write one paragraph. If you want an A in English, you must write at least one extra paragraph for every question. For example, someone might write 6 paragraphs for 30marks, while someone eles will write 7 or 8 for 30marks, it's easy to say who'll get an A. But it's quality over quanity. You can write 10 paragraphs and still fail :p. Keep practing your timing, sit down, open a paper, get a stopwatch, and answer a question against the time. Try write 6 paragraphs in 20mins, that should be minimum, but remember to re-read and follow the PEQ format ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

For every 5 marks, you write one paragraph. If you want an A in English, you must write at least one extra paragraph for every question. For example, someone might write 6 paragraphs for 30marks, while someone eles will write 7 or 8 for 30marks, it's easy to say who'll get an A. But it's quality over quanity. You can write 10 paragraphs and still fail :p. Keep practing your timing, sit down, open a paper, get a stopwatch, and answer a question against the time. Try write 6 paragraphs in 20mins, that should be minimum, but remember to re-read and follow the PEQ format ;).

I always time myself and practice in class but i dont seem to be getting any better, In my mocks i learned that my answers had to become more longer and be able to maintain the quality. I really need a way to keep to the time

• Advertisement

I always time myself and practice in class but i dont seem to be getting any better, In my mocks i learned that my answers had to become more longer and be able to maintain the quality. I really need a way to keep to the time
    Maybe your answers are not structered properly. PM me the opening for a answer or whatever and i'll have a look :p. I have one of the best English teachers in the country(He works in the Institute of Education), so yea, if all teachers were like him, getting all A's will take no effort. I'll help you if you need it :3. I got a B on the mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

So for every 5 marks write a paragraph and then write an extra one? makes sense. What about Personal writing? how long are your short stories? I find it hard to come up with a short story as i always end up exhausting myself writing up to 9 pages and the stories are never finished. Is there some sort of short story that i could easily flex and use for the real thing? Also do you use plans for personal writing?

So for every 5 marks write a paragraph and then write an extra one? makes sense. What about Personal writing? how long are your short stories? I find it hard to come up with a short story as i always end up exhausting myself writing up to 9 pages and the stories are never finished. Is there some sort of short story that i could easily flex and use for the real thing? Also do you use plans for personal writing?
    I have a short story of 2 1/2 pages, I can write it in 40mins. I've learnt it word for word basically, I can abdapt it to EVERY PERSONAL WRITING YEAR FROM 2012-2002, so I have a full proof essay. Write between 2-3 pages, and make sure you make it good, you have one hour to re-read and write it, don't plan during the exam, you should be looking at topics and planning 2-3 essays and having a rough idea on what to do, that's what I did on my mocks to "experiment" and I got 58/70 on the essay. I got a B on the mocks .. but I was playing around as I clearly screwed up on Paper one and I didn't add extra paragraphs. So yea, it's easy if you know the exam inside out. If you need help, pm me :).

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

You really won't have time in the exam to do an extra paragraph in the exam, as Spurious said make sure you answer the question, I wrote the required amount (First reply, Marking scheme backs it up) and did fine, 79%. I was under pressure for time, If I wrote 6 paragraphs instead of 5 for the studied fiction, drama and poetry I would have no time left. The examiner wants to see quality over quantity, get your points across in the opening and reinforce them in their own paragraphs.

''I have studied ''Of Mice and Men'' by John Steinbeck. I would not like to be George, the reasons for this are as follows: The parenting role George has over Lennie, the harsh world of 1930s California and finally the people of the ranch.''

Then go on and PQE each point, so....

George has a parenting role over Lennie, this can be seen in ''blah blah.'' Lennie prevents George from settling down and finding a girl etc etc, and give a good bit of explanation for the point and give a PERSONAL response, no personal response = 0. The question asks why you would not like to be this character, not for a description of the setting, you have to give personal reactions in your points.

Then do this for the other two points, and with a conclusion that = 5 paragraphs of quality, rather than someone waffling on about what the setting is for 7 paragraphs and not doing what the question asks, try to be concise.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭marko747

Yeah it's quality over quantity. If you write a good answer but then try to write a extra paragraph on a weak point and it's waffley you will lose marks that you would have had. And also refer back to question. And opening and conclusion also very important (from my English teacher who was a jc marker )

• Advertisement
Advertisement