Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in spar?

Options
  • 24-04-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I'm going into ty next year, and I've been made awear of a job vacancy in my local spar shop. I would work on the weekends or maybe after school. Does anyone think that this is a good or bad idea? Will I end up having to pick doing my job over doing ty activities next year? I'd love to be earning money but I want to get the most out of my ty experience! Any advice would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jackoc

Its a great idea , a fewbob in your pocket and away from Social Media for a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭glitzandbits

jackoc wrote: »
    Its a great idea , a fewbob in your pocket and away from Social Media for a few hours

I suppose haha but I hope it won't get in the way of other things! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Good idea! I'm planning to work in a local grosery too, i'm just worried, will they expect us to know the jist of things?(that's why people have training/college in the first place) or would they show us the ropes on day one etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jackoc

My son worked through 5th yr, plays sport, has his social media time , still puts in the study hours , when you have structure you will not waste time after his work he will compose himself for 30 mins , chat with his friends and then spend another hour at study , we never ask him to do this he does it because he knows he needs to use his time efficiently

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Re starting work in Spar,

They'll show you the ropes on day 1, and if they don't make things clear enough you should show a bit of initiative by asking what is expected of you.
    I've found that on day 1 of a new job I've been shown how everything is done, even when I've worked somewhere similar in the past, because each business is run differently and each manager's place of work is his/her castle so he/she usually has set ideas on how things should be done!
    Just be punctual, polite, and when things are quiet find something useful to do even if it's just tidying displays etc, you'll soon get the reputation of being a good worker!

• Advertisement
Advertisement