Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towards a United Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

You haven't answered my very simple question because you haven't got a clue where to even begin. That's how much understanding you have of the priorities of the majority of the people up north.

Bertie , For the great majority in the Republic reunification is just a non-issue and most definitely not one that decides elections .

For a small but significant minority it is their top issue , similarly with abortion, where it is the deciding issue when voting. But for the great majority it is just not that important . This is particularly so since the GFA .

So in answer to your question what are we prepared to do to convince unionists ? I believe the answer is nothing other than what is in the GFA.
    Let time and numbers have their way.

People down here have enough difficulty with their own priorities without taking on the Unionist concerns as well.

I suspect you are one of those people where this is your top issue and assume everyone else should think the same . Just not the case .

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

i work for a company in the north. forgetting about religion the general view i get is that they would prefer things to stay as they are. i think they see all that is going on in roi and just think they are better off being governed by the uk. most people i talk to think the government down here are totally incapable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭Bertie Woot

marienbad wrote: »
    Bertie , For the great majority in the Republic reunification is just a non-issue and most definitely not one that decides elections .

For a small but significant minority it is their top issue , similarly with abortion, where it is the deciding issue when voting. But for the great majority it is just not that important . This is particularly so since the GFA .

So in answer to your question what are we prepared to do to convince unionists ? I believe the answer is nothing other than what is in the GFA. Let time and numbers have their way.

People down here have enough difficulty with their own priorities without taking on the Unionist concerns as well.

I suspect you are one of those people where this is your top issue and assume everyone else should think the same . Just not the case .

Okay, you've demonstrated adequately that you can't answer my question, thus revealing your total ignorance of Unionism, and instead are intent on issuing waffle. If 'GFA, numbers and time' is your best effort, I am clearly wasting mine.

Goodnight.

Okay, you've demonstrated adequately that you can't answer my question, thus revealing your total ignorance of Unionism, and instead are intent on issuing waffle. If 'GFA, numbers and time' is your best effort, I am clearly wasting mine.

Goodnight.

Ha Ha Bertie, just because you don't like my answer ! No need to get in a huff about it.

You are calling me ignorant on unionism and this from a guy who is afraid coming to the republic ! Kettle pot and black comes to mind .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

If you can't handle a word which effectively translates to 'protection for the British ethnic minority in a UI' thus enabling them to consent to a UI, you are not going to have a UI.

Im well aware of the definition of "sovereignty", and I haven't requested for the British gvt to be given "administrative power" in a UI. I have attempted to communicate the depth of distrust towards Irish Republicanism and the Dublin gvt that has traditionally lay at the core of Unionism, and made it clear that Unionists shall never enter a UI without some form of protection from the British gvt.

And you have communicated as much in a most forthright, thorough and utterley descriptive manner.:)
    Unionist concerns are not irrational or unjustified as you suggest, as there is a very real prospect of retaliatory discrimination for what happened to Nationalists in NI, and if we look at the way the Protestant population in the south was greatly reduced post partition, Unionists fears and concerns are grounded in reality.

You need a reality check and an enrolment on the program. By viewing my suggestion of a 'diplomatic intervention' by the British SOS for foreign affairs as unacceptable in the case of discrimination against the Unionist minority, you are essentially communicating to Unionism that this is a very real probability.

It's not going to be as simple as that, as the political parties in NI shall also have considerable input on procedure via their interests thus muddying the waters. Realistically, a federal Ireland, with Britain continuing to sustain involvement in the 6 counties in the transitional phase to full reunification is realistic, but until the Irish delegation accept an agreement with unequivocal guarantees and safeguards to protect the Unionist minority, and a provision for British governmental back-up in the form of urgent diplomatic relations between Dublin and London, there won't be an agreement that Unionists can ratify.
    This is not being realistic not even close.
    I understand that you think the British shall just sign Unionists over, severe all diplomatic ties, and that shall be the end of it. It won't happen like that, and if there is any proposal that it shall happen like that, Unionists shall oppose it, and there shall be no reunification agreement that Unionism can back. Unionism shall require a lengthy transitional settling in phase, and that shall involve both governments working together.
    Everyone would require a lengthy enough settling in phase not just unionism should a united Ireland ever come to pass.
    There are no irrational fears. There are fears born of bitter historical experience and expectations for the future. The British in Ireland have been bombarded, butchered and bombed. For 30 years they had their protestations on Republican violence completely ignored by the Provisional IRA and Sinn Fein, and have paid for their right to reside on this island in their own blood. They are not about to sacrifice what they regard as their homeland for some high risk venture into a united Ireland.
    Its clear your community have irrational fears not just about a potential a unified Ireland but more importantly about people down here in the south. You need to deal with those fears before anything else happens really.
    They want details. Realistic details, and on specifics pertaining to the adequate protection of their civil and religious liberties, their ethnic and cultural identity, and their right to live on this island free from violence, intimidation, discrimination and persecution. Unless the British and Irish delegations can deliver an agreement which satisfies Unionist's needs, reunification shall remain an unattainable pipe dream of Republican and Nationalist romantics.
    Then start being realistic.:)
    No-one really wants to give the UK a say in the future Republic.
    :D
    But Unionists shall require something written into a reunification agreement which shall assure them that they are fully protected against potential discrimination and persecution, and my suggestion that British diplomatic intervention should form part of that agreement has been branded unreasonable and unrealistic.

Richard wrote: »
    The GFA guarenteed certain things for unionists, e.g.
    *The principle of consent and the consequential retention if NI's place in the UK
    *The Stormont assembly
    *Council of the isles
    *Removal of articles 2/3

The GFA guarenteed certain things for nationalists, e.g.
    *the mechanism for a United Ireland
    *the removal of the "unionist veto"
    *reform of police
    *enforced power sharing

In any United Ireland there will be a similar negotiated settlement which will guarentee various things for both nationalists and unionists, one of which may a limited role for the British government.

This isn't 1922 when the views of nationalists in NI weren't taken into account. A future settlement will be like the GFA and the views of all will matter.

Im well aware of the above and of course all views will matter. But where in any of that does it say or allude too an obligation on Irelands behalf, post reunification, to issue Britain with a say in our affairs once this has happened. It doesnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Where did I say it was ALL down to economics ?

You gave that as your only reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

WakeUp wrote: »

Im well aware of the above and of course all views will matter. But where in any of that does it say or allude too an obligation on Irelands behalf, post reunification, to issue Britain with a say in our affairs once this has happened. It doesnt.

Nowhere. But it least it is clear that you are happy with a 50% + 1 vote for a UI and don't care about the lack of stability that will inevitably arise from a settlement that doesn't address the fears and aspirations of a large proportion of the population.

You gave that as your only reason.

No, I said it would be the tipping point.

gowley wrote: »
    i work for a company in the north. forgetting about religion the general view i get is that they would prefer things to stay as they are. i think they see all that is going on in roi and just think they are better off being governed by the uk. most people i talk to think the government down here are totally incapable

There's some truth in that.
    Ha Ha Bertie, just because you don't like my answer ! No need to get in a huff about it.

You are calling me ignorant on unionism and this from a guy who is afraid coming to the republic ! Kettle pot and black comes to mind .

I was a bit apprehensive the first time, but like all ROI virgins, my deflowering has been a revelation.
    And you have communicated as much in a most forthright, thorough and utterley descriptive manner.:)

This is not being realistic not even close.

Everyone would require a lengthy enough settling in phase not just unionism should a united Ireland ever come to pass.

Its clear your community have irrational fears not just about a potential a unified Ireland but more importantly about people down here in the south. You need to deal with those fears before anything else happens really.

Then start being realistic.:)

It was foolish of me to expect someone who lives in the ROI and has had no experience of violent Irish Republicanism and Nationalist discrimination as an NI Protestant to understand Unionists and their very real, not irrational concerns.

I haven't given up on the Irish just yet. The Irish government relinquished the territorial claim and with Irish tax payers money built a Battle of the Boyne visitor centre in Drogheda to commemorate a battle which the Irish lost and which sustained British rule in Ireland for a further 231 years.

This bodes well for future flexibility.

Nowhere. But it least it is clear that you are happy with a 50% + 1 vote for a UI and don't care about the lack of stability that will inevitably arise from a settlement that doesn't address the fears and aspirations of a large proportion of the population.

Let us all look forward to a stable, brighter future together:)
    It was foolish of me to expect someone who lives in the ROI and has had no experience of violent Irish Republicanism and Nationalist discrimination as an NI Protestant to understand Unionists and their very real, not irrational concerns.

I haven't given up on the Irish just yet. The Irish government relinquished the territorial claim and with Irish tax payers money built a Battle of the Boyne visitor centre in Drogheda to commemorate a battle which the Irish lost and which sustained British rule in Ireland for a further 231 years.

This bodes well for future flexibility.

:)

• Advertisement

Let us all look forward to a stable, brighter future together:)

:)

You don't want a united Ireland, because you hate Protestants.

You're a hater!

You don't want a united Ireland, because you hate Protestants.

You're a hater!

:rolleyes:

I usually try avoid at all costs using the above emoticon is response to a comment, any comment, thought sometimes a comment is so ridiculous and off the mark in its nature that I feel its deserved.

Been a pleasure talking to you Bertie :)

:rolleyes:

I usually try avoid at all costs using the above emoticon is response to a comment, any comment, thought sometimes a comment is so ridiculous and off the mark in its nature that I feel its deserved.

Been a pleasure talking to you Bertie :)

You're the sort of Catholic Nationalist who would deny Loyalist bandsmen their cultural right to urinate on a Catholic chapel whilst heavily intoxicated.

You're the type of Catholic Nationalist who would object to a scheduled Orange parade down Dublin's O'Connell Street, with some Loyalist graffiti being ceremoniously daubed on the GPO.

It's Nationalists like you who would take issue with the Garden of Remembrance being bull-dozed and transformed into an Ulster Volunteer Force heritage and visitor centre.

Your bigotry knows no boundaries! :)

You're the sort of Catholic Nationalist who would deny Loyalist bandsmen their cultural right to urinate on a Catholic chapel whilst heavily intoxicated.

You're the type of Catholic Nationalist who would object to a scheduled Orange parade down Dublin's O'Connell Street, with some Loyalist graffiti being ceremoniously daubed on the GPO.

It's Nationalists like you who would take issue with the Garden of Remembrance being bull-dozed and transformed into an Ulster Volunteer Force heritage and visitor centre.

:D;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

And your the sort of convert who will piller the community he comes from just to fit in with his new political buddy's.

junder wrote: »
    And your the sort of convert who will piller the community he comes from just to fit in with his new political buddy's.

I've heard this bollocks before, and from other humourless people. I don't see myself as a 'convert', just someone who decided to take his head out of the sand. As regards "buddies", I walk alone in this life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Question for you Bertie, which National Anthem would uou feel best represents you & your national pride.

God Save The Queen, or Amhrán na bhFiann.

Neither?

LordSutch wrote: »
    Question for you Bertie, which National Anthem would uou feel best represents you & your national pride.

God Save The Queen, or Amhrán na bhFiann.

Neither?

Neither, and if I had my choice, this would be the new Irish national anthem, as it sets me up for the day:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

The simple is, they cant
    Junder, you told us early on that you are descended from Henry Joy McCracken. For the sake of the historical record, and to satisfy my historical curiousity, would you tell us please which child of his you are descended from?

feargale wrote: »
    Junder, you told us early on that you are descended from Henry Joy McCracken. For the sake of the historical record, and to satisfy my historical curiousity, would you tell us please which child of his you are descended from?

Don't know, it was a elderly great uncle that made the claim. I will ask him next time I see him. However i am not going to be posting my surname for verification

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

However i am not going to be posting my surname for verification

That is perfectly understandable. I wouldn't expect you to do that.

Don't know, it was a elderly great uncle that made the claim. I will ask him next time I see him. However i am not going to be posting my surname for verification

It's "McCracken", isn't it?

No shame there, son. Henry Joy was a credit to Tone and the United Irishmen to which he belonged, as when he was arrested and offered a pardon if he testified against other United Irishmen leaders, Henry Joy refused to inform on them and was consequently executed in Corn Market, Belfast.

The guy was a dedicated United Irishman, and loyal to the cause:

"To subvert the tyranny of our execrable government, to break the connection with England, the never-failing source of all our political evils and to assert the independence of my country- these were my objectives. To unite the whole people of Ireland, to abolish the memory of all past dissensions, and to substitute the common name of Irishman in place of the denominations of Protestant, Catholic and Dissenter - these were my means."

~ Theobald Wolfe Tone.

It's "McCracken", isn't it?

No shame there, son. Henry Joy was a credit to Tone and the United Irishmen to which he belonged, as when he was arrested and offered a pardon if he testified against other United Irishmen leaders, Henry Joy refused to inform on them and was consequently executed in Corn Market, Belfast.

The guy was a dedicated United Irishman, and loyal to the cause:

"To subvert the tyranny of our execrable government, to break the connection with England, the never-failing source of all our political evils and to assert the independence of my country- these were my objectives. To unite the whole people of Ireland, to abolish the memory of all past dissensions, and to substitute the common name of Irishman in place of the denominations of Protestant, Catholic and Dissenter - these were my means."

~ Theobald Wolfe Tone.

Every family has its black sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

There are "moral rights" and "just and fair laws" within Roman Catholicism? I have a number of major objections to Roman Catholicism as a world religion, two in particular:

1. The Vatican and its Priests assume the role of God in their assumption of the right to forgive and redeem sins:

"All bishops and priests have the power to forgive sins or absolve sins. Christ conferred this power on the apostles, and on the bishops and priests who would succeed them. However, the Church reserves the right to determine when a priest may use the power to forgive sins." (The Question and Answer Catholic Catechism, Q. 1327 p. 264).

If you really do believe in Holy Scripture as outlined in the Bible, only God has the power when to forgive sins, and unlike the RCC, he does not charge any money. If you do believe in Christianity you cannot fail to view the Holy See and the Priesthood as blatant and outrageous blasphemers.

2. I don't believe that "simony" and "the sale of indulgences" are "just and fair laws". Neither do I believe that the "Law of celibacy" is a just and fair law. In fact, it is my contention that the celibacy law has been partly if not majorly responsible for the proliferation of child rapists within the RCC. And yes, that is exactly what they are.

Bertie, I refuse to get into a debate about religion with you.
    You appear to think that I have defended both the abuses of Catholic doctrine by the papacy which led to the creation of the Lutheran Church, and the abuse of children by some members of the clergy.
    If you read back over my posts, you will find I have done neither - merely observed that religion can, - and has - been used very effectively in the past by various political/religious establishments as a factor in manipulating people, to achieve money, land, or power for those pulling the strings

Hence, one should not judge the Catholic Church, which, I again stress, is made up of all the people who profess that faith - not just the hierarchy - on the actions of a pope who abused his power centuries ago, or on those members of the clergy who either engaged in, or tried to cover up, horrendous child abuse.

Neither should one judge the Protestant churches on, for example, the attempted eradication of Catholicism in Ireland.

The truth is, both faiths have a great deal more in common than issues that separate them, and both have had individuals within them that went against the teachings of their religion, and sought to use that religion as a means of gaining personal power.

I believe that a secular society where minimal and nominal significance is placed on the role of organised and traditional religion is the way forward. The Roman Catholic Church is finished, or more accurately, the nefarious activities of Priests have brought the RC church down to such an appallingly low and debased level, that I really can't see any respect and status it once had ever being fully restored. Trying to be a Catholic in this day and age must be a real challenge. We cannot prevent people from practicing a religion, but we can attempt to educate them that most of their beliefs are based upon superstition, which has been used as a vehicle to exercise power, control and carry out the most vile abuse by pious, sanctimonious men in the RC hierarchy. People should be allowed the liberty to attempt to undo their socialisation and social conditioning within Roman Catholicism.

And I believe that all Religion is organised - and, further - that to take such a path is extremely dangerous, amoral, and undemocratic.

The truth is, most laws are based on the ten commandments.
    Hence, in a completely secular society, to remove all religious reference is to effectively tear up the rule book, and start anew, with laws being written from scratch.
    History teaches us that in such a situation, those who gain power rarely do so for altruistic purposes.....
    Of course it's not, and neither is the rape of children, but many RC Priests still carried it out, and on such a scale that from the outside and in the eyes of the world it looks very much like an organised and deliberate venture, as does the RCC's very deliberate attempt to cover it up, with even the previous Pope (Ratzinger) himself having been involved in cover-up activities, and been condemned for it by none other than your own Taoiseach Enda Kenny in the Dail.

You may not have instilled fear in anyone, but your Priests most certainly attempted to and did, and they went to extreme lengths to prevent the truth about what they were doing from reaching public consciousness:

"Statement by the Taoiseach on the Dáil Motion on the report of the Commission of Investigation into the Catholic Diocese of Cloyne, in Dáil Éireann

The revelations of the Cloyne report have brought the Government, Irish Catholics and the Vatican to an unprecedented juncture.
    It's fair to say that after the Ryan and Murphy Reports Ireland is, perhaps, unshockable when it comes to the abuse of children.
    But Cloyne has proved to be of a different order.Because for the first time in Ireland, a report into child sexual-abuse exposes an attempt by the Holy See, to frustrate an Inquiry in a sovereign, democratic republic…as little as three years ago, not three decades ago. And in doing so, the Cloyne Report excavates the dysfunction, disconnection, elitism....the narcissism that dominate the culture of the Vatican to this day. The rape and torture of children were downplayed or 'managed' to uphold instead, the primacy of the institution, its power, standing and 'reputation'. Far from listening to evidence of humiliation and betrayal with St Benedict's 'ear of the heart'......the Vatican's reaction was to parse and analyse it with the gimlet eye of a canon lawyer.

This calculated, withering position being the polar opposite of the radicalism, humility and compassion upon which the Roman Church was founded.
    The radicalism, humility and compassion which are the very essence of its foundation and purpose.
    The behaviour being a case of Roma locuta est: causa finita est.
    Except in this instance, nothing could be further from the truth.
    Victims
    Cloyne's revelations are heart-breaking. It describes how many victims continued to live in the small towns and parishes in which they were reared and in which they were abused… their abuser often still in the area and still held in high regard by their families and the community.
    The abusers continued to officiate at family weddings and funerals… In one case, the abuser even officiated at the victim's own wedding.

There is little I or anyone else in this House can say to comfort that victim or others, however much we want to. But we can and do recognise the bravery of all of the victims who told their stories to the Commission.
    While it will take a long time for Cloyne to recover from the horrors uncovered, it could take the victims and their families a lifetime to pick up the pieces of their shattered existence......
    The Government awaits the considered response of the Holy See.
    I believe that the Irish people, including the very many faithful Catholics who - like me - have been shocked and dismayed by the repeated failings of Church authorities to face up to what is required, deserve and require confirmation from the Vatican that they do accept, endorse and require compliance by all Church authorities here with, the obligations to report all cases of suspected abuse, whether current or historical, to the State's authorities in line with the Children First National Guidance which will have the force of law.

.....This is the 'Republic' of Ireland 2011.
    A Republic of laws.....of rights and responsibilities....of proper civic order..... where the delinquency and arrogance of a particular version..... of a particular kind of 'morality'..... will no longer be tolerated or ignored.
    As a practising Catholic, I don't say any of this easily. Growing up, many of us in here learned we were part of a pilgrim Church.
    Today, that Church needs to be a penitent Church. A church, truly and deeply penitent for the horrors it perpetrated, hid and denied.
    In the name of God. But for the good of the institution.

This report tells us a tale of a frankly brazen disregard for protecting children. If we do not respond swiftly and appropriately as a State, we will have to prepare ourselves for more reports like this.
    I agree with Archbishop Martin that the Church needs to publish any other and all other reports like this as soon as possible.

.....Cardinal Josef Ratzinger said: ‘Standards of conduct appropriate to civil society or the workings of a democracy cannot be purely and simply applied to the Church.’
    As the Holy See prepares its considered response to the Cloyne Report, as Taoiseach, I am making it absolutely clear, that when it comes to the protection of the children of this State, the standards of conduct which the Church deems appropriate to itself, cannot and will not, be applied to the workings of democracy and civil society in this republic.
    Not purely, or simply or otherwise.
    CHILDREN.... FIRST."

I couldn't agree with Enda Kenny more. He should be commended, because that was the first time an Irish Taoiseach has ever made any such unequivocal condemnation of the RCC and it's Pope, and it was justified.

Just watch it:

Priests were up to their necks in abusive behaviour, the Pope himself attempted a cover-up, as did the Irish Cardinal Sean Brady. Children were being abused in every diocese, and the silence from the "ordinary, decent, Catholic" was deafening. Some remained silent out of denial, whilst others were afraid to speak out because of fear.

See above.

You are attempting to deflect away from what the RCC has perpetrated on children by diverting attention to Protestant abuses of power? Name some, and keep it relevant and comparative to what the RCC has been guilty of, not just in Ireland, but throughout the world.

I'm not blaming the RC religion itself for the conduct of child rapists contained within it, but as a humanitarian and an Agnostic, I object forcefully to the activities of peadophile RC Priests, and indeed the many spurious teachings contained within the Roman Catholic faith.

Some factual truth about your religion:

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Roman%20Catholicism/roman_catholicism_exposed.htm

I do not believe for one moment that ordinary decent Catholics had "no knowledge" of the widespread abuse being perpetrated on their doorstep and to their own children. Reports of widespread abuse go back a long way, and the Clonard report mapped this out. Roman Catholics were living in fear and denial, and their inaction and failure to "resist" effectively enabled the pervert Priests to sustain their abuse.

I am stating that the inability and reluctance to act against perverted Priests was what effectively perpetuated their abuse. They carried on for a slong as they thought they could get away with it, and we are only witnessing large numbers of revelations of widespread abuse and an Irish governmental condemnation of that abuse as late as 2011. The abuse has been going on for decades, since the birth of the ROI and probably much further back.

Rubbish. The ordinary Catholic Joe has remained mostly silent, and out of fear. What condemnations have been made by "ordinary, decent, Catholics" have been protestational murmurs. You really need to get off your knees and begin shouting for justice to be done to the paedophiles who have raped and abused your children, and from the rooftops. Until you do that you'll only have an ambivalent sympathy.

If I was a Roman Catholic and a priest had sexually abused my child, I would hunt him down and force feed him his own genitalia, not get down on my knees and pray to a supernatural entity that allegedly governs the universe.

I have read a lot of reports, and I am aware that ordinary Catholics have not acted in the best interests of their vulnerable children by remaining close to silent about clerical abuse. I am not intolerant of religion, I think religion shall regrettably be around for a very long time, but there are aspects of many religious people's behaviour, for example, child sodomoy carried out by by large numbers of RC Priests, which I find objectionable and unacceptable.

Given the seriousness of their offences, how about an introduction of capital punishment?

I haven't witnessed any mass protests by ordinary decent Catholics in the ROI or indeed anywhere else on the issue of child abuse. I have heard some Catholic priests reluctantly murmur that they regret what has happened and make apologies under great duress which are much too little much too late. My concern is that if Roman Catholics do not eliminate abuse within their church, it shall continue post reunification, and may even put Protestant children who attend integrated schools at risk.

No doubt, and they are the ones we don't hear that much about.

You rather clearly have no knowledge or understanding of what you are talking about.

I used to live in a parish where a paedophile priest was active - and a paedophile teacher also.
    I know some of the victims personally, and am friends with some of their wives.
    I knew those lads when they were children being abused - and, believe me, none of their friends had any inkling of what was going on, nor their parents either.
    I even know one man whose elderly mother still doesn't know, because she is in frail health, and her family are afraid the shock would kill her.

I have witnessed more than one priest in tears on the altar while apologising for the actions of paedophile priests.
    I have also witnessed people get up and walk out of mass in another parish where the priests sermon didn't reflect the feelings of the congregation.

But these stories don't get reported in the media.

So, don't tell me what "ordinary, decent Catholics" think or feel - because you haven't a clue....

You've read some reports, not spoken to those involved, and certainly not spoken to the average Catholic about their feelings - and come to some very biased (and very offensive) conclusions about Catholics in general, all the while ignoring the fact that many people have left the church because of the events, while others choose to stay, and work for change. Still others abhor what has happened - but that doesn't change their beliefs, hence they remain true to their beliefs, while horrified that such abuse was possible.

But do feel free to continue on your biased, unfounded, and hate-filled rants - because Ireland is a free Country, and free speech is a right.

Each side demonises the other ie. "the enemy" so as to make annihilation that little bit easier. That's why in 2013 we need to have finally learned our lesson, and grasped the reality that liquidation of traditional foes is not the way forward; empathy, understanding, acceptance of our differences and peaceful coexistence most certainly is.

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Noreen1 wrote: »
    You appear to think that I have defended both the abuses of Catholic doctrine by the papacy which led to the creation of the Lutheran Church, and the abuse of children by some members of the clergy.
    If you read back over my posts, you will find I have done neither - merely observed that religion can, - and has - been used very effectively in the past by various political/religious establishments as a factor in manipulating people, to achieve money, land, or power for those pulling the strings

Hence, one should not judge the Catholic Church, which, I again stress, is made up of all the people who profess that faith - not just the hierarchy - on the actions of a pope who abused his power centuries ago, or on those members of the clergy who either engaged in, or tried to cover up, horrendous child abuse.

Neither should one judge the Protestant churches on, for example, the attempted eradication of Catholicism in Ireland.

The truth is, both faiths have a great deal more in common than issues that separate them, and both have had individuals within them that went against the teachings of their religion, and sought to use that religion as a means of gaining personal power.

And I believe that all Religion is organised - and, further - that to take such a path is extremely dangerous, amoral, and undemocratic.

Hence, in a completely secular society, to remove all religious reference is to effectively tear up the rule book, and start anew, with laws being written from scratch.
    History teaches us that in such a situation, those who gain power rarely do so for altruistic purposes.....

See above.

You rather clearly have no knowledge or understanding of what you are talking about.

I used to live in a parish where a paedophile priest was active - and a paedophile teacher also.
    I knew those lads when they were children being abused - and, believe me, none of their friends had any inkling of what was going on, nor their parents either.
    I even know one man whose elderly mother still doesn't know, because she is in frail health, and her family are afraid the shock would kill her.

I have witnessed more than one priest in tears on the altar while apologising for the actions of paedophile priests.
    I have also witnessed people get up and walk out of mass in another parish where the priests sermon didn't reflect the feelings of the congregation.

So, don't tell me what "ordinary, decent Catholics" think or feel - because you haven't a clue....

You've read some reports, not spoken to those involved, and certainly not spoken to the average Catholic about their feelings - and come to some very biased (and very offensive) conclusions about Catholics in general, all the while ignoring the fact that many people have left the church because of the events, while others choose to stay, and work for change. Still others abhor what has happened - but that doesn't change their beliefs, hence they remain true to their beliefs, while horrified that such abuse was possible.

But do feel free to continue on your biased, unfounded, and hate-filled rants - because Ireland is a free Country, and free speech is a right.

Agreed.

Ironic that he sees him self as a Irish nationalist and yet at the same time is sectarian to the people who would make up the majorty of Irish nationalists

gurramok wrote: »

Can't open the link but I am assuming it is about the the mock border poll held in crossmaglen and the creggan

Ironic that he sees him self as a Irish nationalist and yet at the same time is sectarian to the people who would make up the majorty of Irish nationalists

Not sectarian, simply critical of an organised religion which has acted as a vehicle for paedophiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Can't open the link but I am assuming it is about the the mock border poll held in crossmaglen and the creggan

Yes it is. It returned a 95% majority for a UI among predominantly Nationalist areas. The significance of it is that the desire for a UI is still quite high in the Nationalist community despite some posters here saying there is hardly any.

• Advertisement

Noreen1 wrote: »

I am not blaming you personally for the malevolent and outrageous midememanours of peadophile Priests, Noreen. What I am saying is that on my my side of the border there seemed to be a deafening silence whilst all of this was going on, and that silence was reflected in the ROI.

Priests abusing their personal power was a worldwide phenomenon, and the solution can only come from the top ie. the Vatican, and by allowing Priests to marry, as it is my view that the Law of celibacy is responsible for the greater proliferation of child sex abuse within the RCC.

The ten commandments and indeed any other biblical teaching is what society based its moral code upon in the past. Ireland has moved on, and is becoming an increasingly secular state. Laws are increasingly created and based upon common sense, a sense of justice and fair play, as opposed to some 2000 year old scripture, and that is progress. Nothing wrong with religious doctrine so long as you don't make it your be all and end all.

They certainly don't. If I thought that paedophile Priests were actually shedding tears from a sense of guilt and remorse over their nefarious activities, and not self pity and shame about getting caught, I dare say the RCC might even possess the capacity to help to redeem itself.

Long may it continue, and into a united Ireland, where paedophile Priests are a dark phenomenon of a distant past. I have no hatred for paedophiles, as they are beneath contempt, and what criticism I have made of RC doctrine is perfectly valid. I view the Roman Catholic faith like I view all religion; an opium for the people. Regrettably, the RC hierarchy laced your opium with some pretty toxic chemicals. The sooner you change your religious dealer, the better, Noreen.

Have you ever thought of converting to a religion whose clergy didn't have a predilection for children? Or perhaps even give up superstition altogether?

I used to sing "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" at Sunday School, and I love that song to this very day, as it's a comedy classic. :)

Advertisement