Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I interest UPC in upgrading a builiding

• 24-04-2013 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Moving into a new flat soon and I would like to get UPC (alternative is digiweb). One of the blocks in the development has UPC available, but not ours. I contacted them by their website chat and the young lady checked and confirmed that this was the case but that they had no date for upgrading the rest of the blocks and basically said "computer says no" in a polite manner about any possibility of getting connected.

Now when I say blocks, I dont mean this is a large development or anything they all are built on top of the same base building, so it seems mighty strange to me that there would be UPC in one but no chance of it in the others....

So basically Id like to know if anyone has any info on how to get your residence scheduled to be connected? or even get UPC to show any interest or inclination to have it connected at some time in the future?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Post this on the Talk to: UPC forum too. Their idiosyncratic rollout is something people need to be aware of before assuming that a given town or city is covered. The sooner they feel compelled to provide broadband to urban MMDS-over-cable customers or upgrade 30 year old cable still lying around in Dublin city centre (for example), the better it will be for the broadband market in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

We were considering getting UPC broadband in our office in Douglas, as there's a residential estate nearby which has it. They initially said they were unwilling, but later seemed open to doing custom work to extend the network to our office building. Maybe get in touch with your neighbours to see if they're interested, and approach UPC with that info.

It's only a small office, so I don't think there was any big up-front payment to get it installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

wolf99 wrote: »

So basically Id like to know if anyone has any info on how to get your residence scheduled to be connected? or even get UPC to show any interest or inclination to have it connected at some time in the future?
    Thanks
    You would have to go through your management company, as you personally wouldn't have permission to arrange the necessary equipment installation, additional wiring needed or negotiate any costs involved.. If you're an owner you are a shareholder so contact a director to enquire as to why your block isn't serviced, whether there are plans to have it, or what needs to be done to get wheels in motion. If your a tenant you would have to get your landlord to find out from a director.

Advertisement