Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suarez Banned for 10 games

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

“If you look closely you can actually pinpoint the exact moment he hears of the Suarez ban.”

200px-i_love_lisa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What we learned today is that you're better off racially abusing someone than biting them.

Or maybe we have learned its better to do neither, behave yourself and just be a professional footballer as they're paid massive amounts of money to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rooney10 wrote: »

Pg-69s-suarez-getty.jpg

The lad is a gifted footballer, alongside anyone in the league.

However, if you look at the amount of "incidents" he has been involved with since he went to the Premier league, never mind his previous for biting, the ban is quite fair imho as his disciplinary record is awful.

It's not chance that these things keep coming up. There is no smoke without fire. The lad is as insane as he is gifted.

The reaction to the Ivanovic incident has blown up out of proportion. Why? Because of extra media scrutiny due to the cumulative effect of behaviour. He can have absolutely nobody to blame but himself.
    What is that image doing in there? He did nothing wrong there. Evra lost my respect for him in that incident. He holds his hand by his side too long and Suarez just decides to move on and then Evra makes a big deal out of it.

I think the ban is fair btw on this. I do agree that he can have nobody else to blame but himself. There have been far too many controversial incidents in his career to date and even since he joined Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

roy-keane-on-haaland-o.gif

8 Match Ban for the above tackle. What would you prefer, Suarez's bite or that?

The 10 match ban is ridiculous, anyone who denies that is an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No, you just don't seem to understand anything.

Suarez has done this before and got a 7 match ban and he didn't change his ways. This ban is very fair because he has bitten somebody before. He will know now that if he does it again he is going to get an even more severe ban.

Comparing a one time incident is just ludicrous and shows you really don't understand how the world works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

luis%20suarez%20outrageous%20tackle.gif

Sure Suarez has done as bad and not gotten sent off for it.

eagle eye wrote: »
    No, you just don't seem to understand anything.

Suarez has done this before and got a 7 match ban and he didn't change his ways. This ban is very fair because he has bitten somebody before. He will know now that if he does it again he is going to get an even more severe ban.

No, I disagree. I think that a premeditated attempt to end somebody's career is much worse than two spur the moment biting incidents.

While I'm not trying to excuse the inexcusable, what Suarez did was clearly unacceptable, I think the issue here is with the FA's inability to make consistent and fair decisions. The ban clearly should have been shorter.
    shows you really don't understand how the world works.

This comment is a little silly and unnecessary, this is a footballing decision we are talking about. Lets not get carried away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Timmyctc wrote: »

Wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd like to see a different angle of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

And of course pretends he is injured after making the tackle.

• Advertisement

Start of this video you get two angles on it
    10 secs in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ten matches is appropriate. He only has himself to blame. Liverpool fans should man up and take it on the chin. There is no perpetual conspiracy out there against the club. That's not going to happen though.

Well, that was an impartial video created by someone who clearly didn't have an agenda.

I never posted the video for anything other than to give an additional angle on that ridiculous challenge as I stated in the comment with it. But please. Continue to nitpick.

I never posted the video for anything other than to give an additional angle on that ridiculous challenge as I stated in the comment with it. But please. Continue to nitpick.

Fair enough, I was only messing anyway. It was a fairly shocking tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Start of this video you get two angles on it
    10 secs in

I like how Kompany stands up after while Suarez dives...

I am Liverpool fan, and big fan of Suarez, but he does need this ban - he gets mad, and his career is on stake now. 10 matches ban is minimum at this stage, given his past actions. I really hope Liverpool will charge him accordingly. Enough is enough. Like it or not he failed, doesn't matter what angle you look at this.

What is ridiculous is one grown up man biting another one imo
    Stop looking for excuses, no need for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I think the poll linked with the thread should be if you agree Suarez deserved a 10 game ban, more or less.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What we learned today is that you're better off racially abusing someone than biting them.

Hope we won't learn that you are better off racially abusing someone twice than bitng him(them)...

wonski wrote: »

Well, I never denied that.

Actually, if you had read my other comment you'd have seen me state that I wasn't trying to excuse Suarez's bite. I'm merely saying that the decision was unfair and inconsistent, and that really can't be denied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Actually, if you had read my other comment you'd have seen me state that I wasn't trying to excuse Suarez's bite. I'm merely saying that the decision was unfair and inconsistent, and that really can't be denied.

Nope, not when you take his prior disciplinary problems into account, 10 games is alright in all honesty. You just wish it was harsh obviously

• Advertisement

Unfair and inconsistent??? How many games would be fair and consistent???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think that a premeditated attempt to end somebody's career .

Ah here would you cut that nonsense out. I see that term bandied about and it is ridiculous. Keane didn't intend to "end his career". And he didn't end it. It was Haalands other leg that was the problem. Need I remind you that Haaland played less than a week later? He was fine. "Career ending challenge". Yeah.........right.

Keane intended to hurt him....badly. It was revenge. The situation between the pair is well documented so I shouldn't need to remind you or anyone what actually went on. Keane's response was complete thuggery, there is no doubt about it. But if I'm lying on the ground in absolute agony and some tool calls me a faker......I might hold a grudge too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

rarnes1 wrote: »
    What about pre meditated challenges that lead to serious injuries? A year? Life bans?

Just reading thorugh the thread and keep seeing keane on alf inge used to deflect from suarez.

What keane did was reprehensible but 2 points of order.

1, What has it to do with a biting incident.

2, Can people please stop saying it was a career ending injury, haaland finished that game and played the next for the club. There is no definite stuff about it only from Haaland apart from a DM story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

SantryRed wrote: »
    Biting is as bad as spitting on someone. It is an outrageously scummy thing to do. And given his track record already, I'm not surprised at all at the ten games, he deserves it.

Biting is much worse than spitting on someone. You have a duty of care to your opponent, trying to break their skin deliberately and potentially mixing your blood with theirs is just not acceptable. What would happen to you if you did it in the workplace, say you got mad at your boss and bit him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

nagirrac wrote: »
    Biting is much worse than spitting on someone. You have a duty of care to your opponent, trying to break their skin deliberately and potentially mixing your blood with theirs is just not acceptable. What would happen to you if you did it in the workplace, say you got mad at your boss and bit him?

Assault. You get arrested, fired, and probably psychiatrically evaluated. But this is football. The same rules don't apply. I find it odd that the offer of psychiatric help is even voluntary. It should be a condition of being allowed to play. He's clearly mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I actually used to like suarez. I dont have any problem with liverpool players as individuals or a group but suarez just keeps acting out of order and its all petulant, mean things he does, i just dont get it. the guy could be a great but this carry on will damage any legacy of his.

ive disliked individuals from most clubs, a good few from utd tooo, but i just cant get my head around this guy and those who continue to support him. if he was at utd id want him gone asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

Way too much, first he admitted he was wrong, secondly the player in question said his skin wasn't broken

I have seen tackles in games where a lifetime ban was more appropriate than the measly default 3 games ban whether the player "meant it or not"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

wonski wrote: »

It's not an excuse, biting isn't career affecting as a tackle like that, the foot was high which could of snapped the bone in two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

nucker wrote: »
    Way too much, first he admitted he was wrong, secondly the player in question said his skin wasn't broken

I have seen tackles in games where a lifetime ban was more appropriate than the measly default 3 games ban whether the player "meant it or not"

Doesnt mean this ban is wrong.
    3 match ban by default for a red card is wrong. Pull someone down by his shirt when he is going through on goal > red and 3 matches.
    A tackle that leaves someone's leg in 3 pieces > red and 3 matches.

A (straight) red card is usually given for something out of the ordinairy and shouldnt be punished with a default ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

When he bit another player in Holland, he got 7 game ban.

Since then, there was the Evra issue and he was also waned about his future contuct.

He then goes and bites someone in the Premier League.

Now how would it look getting a 3 game ban fo something he already got a 7 game ban.

10 sounds about right. Might seem harsh but he brings it on himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Breaking news - Luis Suarez has just murdered a baby :eek:

But hold on, don't get too outraged because when you combine Cantona's Kung Fu kick with Rooney's granny shagging and then throw in Giggs's affair with his brother's wife it probably works out about the same as infanticide or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

nucker wrote: »
    It's not an excuse, biting isn't career affecting as a tackle like that, the foot was high which could of snapped the bone in two

Trying to say tackling is worse than biting in football because it causes more injury than biting, lol, are you sh1t1ing me?

Eh nice point except tackling is part of the game. You know this game is called FOOTball, you have to use your foot to get the ball and tackles are easy to mistime.

No part of the game requires you to use your teeth. Let alone sink them into an opponent.

Foot injuries and tackles are a part of the game every footballer expects and accepts when they step onto the pitch. They are bound to happen and most players will have an injury related to a tackle. How many players have been bitten before? I can only think of two and Suarez sunk his teeth into both of them.

I can't think of any sport or part of society that accepts biting another person. Unless your on the set of Silence of the lambs 2 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I would have expected the ban to be in the range of 6-10 games. 10 is harsh but not unreasonable. The 4 games this season are meaningless anyway luckily in the reality of competing for anything bar local merseyside pride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

inforfun wrote: »
    Doesnt mean this ban is wrong.
    3 match ban by default for a red card is wrong. Pull someone down by his shirt when he is going through on goal > red and 3 matches.
    A tackle that leaves someone's leg in 3 pieces > red and 3 matches.

A (straight) red card is usually given for something out of the ordinairy and shouldnt be punished with a default ban.

You only get 1 game ban for a professional foul red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Trying to say tackling is worse than biting in football because in causes injury and biting, lol, are you sh1t1ing me?

Eh nice point except tackling is part of the game. You know this game is called FOOTball, you have to use your foot to get the ball and tackles are easy to mistime.

No part of the game requires you to use your teeth. Let alone sink them into an opponent.

Foot injuries and tackles are a part of the game every footballer expects and accepts when they step onto the pitch. They are bound to happen and most players will have an injury related to a tackle. How many players have been bitten before? I can only think of two and Suarez sunk his teeth into both of them.

I can't think of any sport or part of society that accepts biting another person. Unless your on the set of Silence of the lambs 2 or something.

A lot of 'tackles' hardly fall into the category, as for headbutts, elbows etc. Every player might expect injury from foot tackles but some are so high and dangerous that the shouldn't be expected and seen as exceptional.
    He was never going to get away with less than 7 games. Thought it would be 8 myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Trying to say tackling is worse than biting in football because it causes more injury than biting, lol, are you sh1t1ing me?

Was he not talking about Keanes challenge. Are you saying what Keane did is part of the game of football.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Breaking news - Luis Suarez has just murdered a baby :eek:

But hold on, don't get too outraged because when you combine Cantona's Kung Fu kick with Rooney's granny shagging and then throw in Giggs's affair with his brother's wife it probably works out about the same as infanticide or something.

First aids and now killing babies. This place is gone to ****.

niallo27 wrote: »
    First aids and now killing babies. This place is gone to ****.

And you and your ilk are helping it get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

10 games is about right but hey i'm a Utd fan..

As for the idea of Suarez leaving ,,if he does he would be a total moron,,,There is no other club (fans) in the world that will offer him such support ..none..

Love it or Hate it,,, right or wrong ...You cannot help but admire the loyalty that the liverpool fans show.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    And you and your ilk are helping it get there.

What's that supposed to mean. Listen didn't utd fans stand by Keane and cantona, Arsenal fans by Adams and these players were heroes to the fans so why are people surprised that liverpool fans stand by Surarez. We know he is bonkers but he ain't that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

ROCKMAN wrote: »

As for the idea of Suarez leaving ,,if he does he would be a total moron,,,There is no other club (fans) in the world that will offer him such support ..none..

Love it or Hate it,,, right or wrong ...You cannot help but admire the loyalty that the liverpool fans show.

If he was to have the same success elsewhere, fans would stick by him.
    The one thing he wouldn't be elsewhere is probably the main star, the only competition for that at the minute is Gerarrd. If he left he would probably be one of many big names.

Was he not talking about Keanes challenge. Are you saying what Keane did is part of the game of football.

"biting isn't career affecting as a tackle" was in the post I was replying too. Pretty generic and sweeping comment.

Sure biting like Suarez did won't injure some as bad as Keanes tackle depending on where they bite him. What Keane did was not right either but he did wrong within the boundaries of the game so got a shorter punishment.

If Suarez kicked Ivanovic it would have not have been as bad but he bit him off the ball with no provication. There was history with Keane and Haaland and as wrong as it was it made more sense as one man was looking for revenge and the other must have been expecting some payback. The mental process of "i'm going to get you back for what you said" is more normal than "here have a bite for no reason"

Its more crazy than dangerous because its not even wrong doing within the proper framework, it was off the wall crazy. Its highlights a mental instability in Suarez.

What's that supposed to mean. Listen didn't utd fans stand by Keane and cantona, Arsenal fans by Adams and these players were heroes to the fans so why are people surprised that liverpool fans stand by Surarez. We know he is bonkers but he ain't that bad.

I'm not surprised by it at all. I have no problem with it. What I should be surprised about but I'm not really if truth be told, is that biting is suddenly not that bad a thing to do.
    It's not as bad as what those other nasty players have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

ROCKMAN wrote: »

You're kidding right? That's called being deluded. Nothing to do with loyalty. It's blind faith akin to being a cult member who can only see a deformed version of reality when it comes to events about their football club.

If it was Suarez laughing and joking during the Hillsborough memorial and not Charles Itandje the fans would still support him. Plessis did the exact same thing yet he was handed a two year deal 3 months after the incident becuase he was a promising youngster at the time.

If Downing or some player or his ilk had of bitten Ivanovic I would bet you that Liverpool fans would be looking for him to be sold etc. Suarez gets away with it becuase he's a good player.

There are no boundaries that delusion won't cross to reach the blind. It's not loyalty it's the simple fact that people don't want to lose a world class player at their club - at ANY cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I am not sure why certain people think there is a Media/FA witchhunt against Suarez or that he is getting mistreated for this........

The Dutch FA gave him a 7 game ban before he ever came to england/english medias attention.

As for why Suarez and other players with similiar issues do this kind of thing, it's probably because they have been treated like royalty all their professional lives.
    They know the clubs they work for will back them to the hilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

My opinion: The FA continue to make disciplinary rulings based on what they think the public want.

10 games is laughable.

Just because you stand by the players doesn't mean that what they did was right. I know I for one thought Keane was a tw@ for kicking Haaland. He was a loose cannon but worth it. We just accepted the regular reds and bans he was handed out. I know I never tried to make it out like Keane was being "hounded by the media" or that the bans were influenced by people's personal opinions of him. Stick by Suarez by all means. Proclaim him the f**king messiah for all most people care but regardless. He is a scummy player as evidenced by the countless bad challenges and people will bring that up. You'll just have to ignore it. The ban was justified based on the fact he was warned about future conduct after being brought up on like 3 completely out of the ordinary offences.

I should have said I have no problem with Liverpool fans sticking by him and I can understand it but comparing biting to tackling etc is where you will get the most stick. Make no doubt he is an amazing talent but we should never see biting, ever on the pitch. The last thing we want to see are kids imitating this.

Yes I stood by Keane, but there is no comparison, he was a hot headed hard tackling player with a short fuse. Sure he injured a player in revenge and took a swipe at Shearer but he never bit anyone. Biting is just nuts. I have never seen it in the EPL before.

Even Cantona who Kung fu kicked a fan I found a way of defending him, he had just been sent off and some guy in the crowd was abusing him and his mother and chucking tea on him and he snapped. Afterwards we learnt the fan was a jailbird type and the type to provoke. No I can't excuse Cantona but I can understand.

When I say understand I don't mean its more right or wrong but I can put myself in his shoes and understand. Suarez bit a guy with no provication. I cannot understand the mental process. Biting is a primal and dirty act unless your doing it to food.

I was watching the game with an Arsenal fan who's reaction sums this incident up perfectly. He kind of hysterically laughed and said that is just bizarre, I have never seen anything like that before. He made me rewind it and watch it over 5 times, he was shaking his head in disbelief asking "why the hell would he do that?"

Its the random craziness of the act which stands out and he has done it twice now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

but comparing biting to tackling etc is where you will get the most stick. Make no doubt he is an amazing talent but we should never see biting, ever on the pitch. The last thing we want to see are kids imitating this.

Really? You think that what Suarez did is worse for kids to be imitating than leg-breaking knee-high tackles, headbutts, pushing referees, kicking fans of opposing teams in the chest, for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

#justiceforsuarez HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement