Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suarez Banned for 10 games

Comments

noodler wrote: »
    Querying the length of the ban

DOES NOT EQUAL

defending Suarez

It does for the HHB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

osarusan wrote: »
    But severity is relative, isn't it? How else can we decide if a punishment is severe except in comparison with other punishment?

Looking back over the season, I think it is easy to recall incidents in which far more dangerous fouls received far more lenient punishment. It's the lack of consistency that some are complaining about.

Now I can see that because it's a bite, it is difficult in some ways to compare it with a tackle, no matter how bad the tackle. But the charge he was faced with was violent conduct - this can be applied to a range of foul behaviour. Under the banner of 'violent conduct', was Suarez's action really the most violent incident of the season?

I might be coming across as flippant about the notion of precedence (which I know is crazy in a matter of litigation) but I find it pretty reasonable to look at the incident in isolation and determine what constitutes fair punishment for the act of biting someone on the football field. It was just an outrageous moment, bordering on surreal, and IMO deserving of the punishment it got.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

I wonder will sky interview the PM when or If an english player is under the same conduct charge

I could have sworn I didnt see them asked when Terry or Rio were in trouble.Maybe i missed the interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I don't get Rodgers point.....The incentive is don't bite people and you won't get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I don't get Rodgers point.....The incentive is don't bite people and you won't get banned.

Exactly. Rio eight months for the drugs test, Rooney with the ban for swearing at the camera. If you don't these things you can't get banned.

Wen you play with feathers expect to have your arse tickled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

yes you do. don't act stupid.

it's the same point Liverpool supporters have been drumming into this and the other thread, whether you agree with it or not.

a ban was merited and expected, no question, as Suarez's actions were horrible.

but the length of the ban has been deemed harsh by the club.

this doesn't mean he's defending Suarez.
    this doesn't mean he likes what Suarez did.
    this doesn't mean he thinks Suarez should get off.
    this doesn't mean he doesn't think Suarez should be banned.
    this doesn't mean he hasn't had some very strong words with Suarez about future conduct.
    this doesn't mean any of these things or any other train of thought whereby Suarez is in any way innocent.

the club could not have been clearer with the fact they do not condone the actions. of course if Suarez didn't do it he wouldn't be banned. it's why Suarez is obviously the one whose fault all this is.

but they do query the sentence. that's it. i don't see what's wrong with that.

i don't see what's unusual, silly or incomprehensible about that, i honestly don't.

again, because a lot of people seem to still repeatedly not get it, this DOES NOT MEAN THE CLUB THINKS HE'S IN ANY WAY INNOCENT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

peteeeed wrote: »
    #justiceforsuarez HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I called this post classless earlier today, got quite angry and reacted strongly to it because to me it read as a jibe at the Justiceforthe96 hashtag.

Have chatted with peteeeed in the last hour, and it turns out that his post was in relation to the Justiceforthe96 hashtag but I took the completely wrong meaning from it.

His post was meant as an incredulous reaction to the Suarez hashtag and those that were using it. Something that Xabi and Cambo were quick to say whilst I was being hot headed.

So basically I grabbed the wrong end of the stick, wronged a poster, and insulted his post by calling it classless, when all the time it was me that was letting my own demons take the reins, and it was me that had the blinkers on.

Peteeed I was wrong about the meaning of your post and I am sorry for having an unwarranted pop at a good poster by calling your post classless, something it was not.

sorry-cute-dog.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Suarez already has had one long term ban in the premier league, if he didnt learn his lesson why does 10 games seem harsh. People may say they're different incidents, but they're both unwanted incidents and he deserves to be punished if he cant abide by the rules of the league (and just following common sense)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

5 games was the punishment for Sean Hessey when he bit a player in 2006

That was 2006, inflation !

On a serious note, it was quite unbelievable to see a professional player try to bite another player ! In a match with about 20 cameras and in the vicinity of the ball !

Anyways was expecting at least an 8 match ban so not too surprised with 10. Hopefully Louis will learn this time, quit sulking , shake off the poor me. Truth is if the 10 games are over a 10 week period, Liverpol pays out guts of £1million in wages to a player who through his own stupid actions means he misses work ! Liverpool should be really pissed off with him, but in private and maintain a silence from their squad on the matter.

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

SlickRic wrote: »

it's the same point Liverpool supporters have been drumming into this and the other thread, whether you agree with it or not.

this doesn't mean he hasn't had some very strong words with Suarez about future conduct.
    this doesn't mean any of these things or any other train of thought whereby Suarez is in any way innocent.

the club could not have been clearer with the fact they do not condone the actions. of course if Suarez didn't do it he wouldn't be banned. it's why Suarez is obviously the one whose fault all this is.

i don't see what's unusual, silly or incomprehensible about that, i honestly don't.

again, because a lot of people seem to still repeatedly not get it, this DOES NOT MEAN THE CLUB THINKS HE'S IN ANY WAY INNOCENT.

He got a 7 game ban for biting before. He got an 8 match ban for racial abusing Evra. It would of been stupid to get a lesser sentence since he obviously has not learned his lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Kess73 wrote: »
    I called this post classless earlier today...............

A classy post sir which stands out a mile in this thread. I tip my hat to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

zerks wrote: »
    The chairman of the Liverpool Supporters Club (Richard Pedder): "I don't think it's a shock, I think he deserves everything he gets.

"It's down to the club to tell him 'this is your last chance'. He won't leave the club [this summer]. They shouldn't have said anything and just accepted the ban.

"With them releasing a statement, it's going to go on and on again and we want it closed. We haven't had enough but we're concerned. Nobody is bigger than the club."

Liverpool fans have emailed the supporters club and asked for his resignation for criticising Suarez instead of blindly standing by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

His discipline is proving to be pretty poor to be fair. I can understand Liverpool fans disputing the length of the ban considering how important to the first team he is and noone can ignore the fact that he is an excellent footballer.

However, being great at football does not mean that he can get away with bad behaviour. While I agree that the ban should be made based only on this incident, I also find it hard to ignore previous behaviour. He's bitten before in another league and has racially abused another player in this league.
    It certainly paints a picture and to be honest if he continues to behave like this, then I think he doesn't deserve to be a highly paid professional footballer.

The game has certainly had characters like this before but where does the buck stop? Eventually this kind of behaviour has to be stamped out and footballers cannot be pandered to like before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Has the 'biting people in uruguay is a term of endearment' defense been used yet?

He got a 7 game ban for biting before. He got an 8 match ban for racial abusing Evra. It would of been stupid to get a lesser sentence since he obviously has not learned his lesson.

fair enough.

as I've said before though, it's not normal for sentences to be upped with every time someone offends, and I look forward to consistency that front across the board.

that's why this is being queried, not because anyone thinks he's at all innocent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Liverpool fans have emailed the supporters club and asked for his resignation for criticising Suarez instead of blindly standing by him.

Damn right. He should have resignd already. A disgrace to all Liverpool fans.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Has the 'biting people in uruguay is a term of endearment' defense been used yet?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84258145#post84258145

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

No but that joke has about a hundred times.

Opr

darnit, 5 days too late.

what about 'justice for Ivanovic'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

SlickRic wrote: »

The single best and most matter of fact post here yet.
    I fail to see why any level headed and fair minded person cannot understand this.
    It pretty much sums it up in a nutshell,ofcourse we will always get the usual brigade who think otherwise regardless unless its a player from a team they support :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Didi Hamman getting grief on twitter now for saying that the ban was about right.

Didi on twitter:
    "Suarez was always gonna get 6 games plus.Would it not have sent out a stronger message if the club suspended him for 2 weeks?"

"And show him and everybody else who plays for the club in the future what LFC is all about.Respect and dignity #LFC"

"If you think Suarez is victimized by the FA,don't forget that he wasn't told to bite Ivanovic."

Jesus.

Some of the responses:

I am ****ing sick to the back teeth of our ex-players and staff in the media. Absolutely ****ing sick to death of them.

Is there some contract they have to sign when they leave the club, that states they have to go over and above in order to prove they're not being biased towards Liverpool?! Souness, Redknapp, Nicol, St John, Lawrenson, Hansen etc. etc. Just **** off. If you haven't got anything good to say about the club that ****ing made you, then don't say anything.
    We must have more previous players in the media then any other club, Normally that should go in our favour but they all slate us, Got loads of respect for what these guys did for us whilst playing but wish they would shut the **** up and mind their own business.
    Why are so many of our ex-players such ****ing gob****es?
    He must still be on drugs.

Didi Hamman getting grief on twitter now for saying that the ban was about right.

Didi on twitter:

Some of the responses:

Wow, the internet brings out some idiots!

Wow, the internet brings out some idiots!

Sure does.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Sure does.

Wow,it took you over 10 minutes to appear after my last post,you are slipping there Rarnes1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I think 10 games is fair – there has to be a strong deterrent so it does not happen again.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

10 games, proper order. I think any less wouldn't have been a repellant for him considering his past behaviour.

I do think that the Liverpool camp should cop the **** on though. One minute they're condemning Suarez and then when he is disciplined for it from the FA, they're up in arms.

Yet again they have not learned from the PR disasters of this past few seasons with the likes of Rodgers and Reina coming out with statements like "people are treating him differently because he is Uruguayan", "the people that make the decisions have it in for Luis", "they're punishing the man not the incident" etc.

Way to go lads! Make him feel victimised again and as we saw from the last time they dealt with a lengthy ban, he has not learned his lesson. What they should be concentrating on is disciplining him internally. It's quite obvious that he cannot control himself and 7 game bans don't seem to be doing the trick.

Just pipe down and get on with it. Four of those games are meaningless now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Stupid comments in this thread make me mad. I am banning myself from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

cournioni wrote: »
    10 games, proper order. I think any less wouldn't have been a repellant for him considering his past behaviour.

I do think that the Liverpool camp should cop the **** on though. One minute they're condemning Suarez and then when he is disciplined for it from the FA, they're up in arms.

Yet again they have not learned from the PR disasters of this past few seasons with the likes of Rodgers and Reina coming out with statements like "people are treating him differently because he is Uruguayan", "the people that make the decisions have it in for Luis", "they're punishing the man not the incident" etc.

Way to go lads! Make him feel victimised again and as we saw from the last time they dealt with a lengthy ban, he has not learned his lesson. What they should be concentrating on is disciplining him internally. It's quite obvious that he cannot control himself and 7 game bans don't seem to be doing the trick.

Just pipe down and get on with it. Four of those games are meaningless now anyway.

Read slicks post there on the last page. He even spelled it out in capital ****en letters.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

niallo27 wrote: »
    Read slicks post there on the last page. He even spelled it out in capital ****en letters.
    I did. Some reasonable points made, but the comments coming out of Anfield still do not help with Suarez's discipline problem, nor does their failure to ban the player themselves. In my opinion they send out the completely wrong message to the player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Barr wrote: »
    I think 10 games is fair – there has to be a strong deterrent so it does not happen again.

So why not ten games for elbows, stamps and punches?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

niallo27 wrote: »

What would Liverpool fans think if Evra or Rio did the exact same thing as Luis? Would they say 10 games is a bit harsh?
    I wish the fans would think about it. 10 games is not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

monkey9 wrote: »
    So why not ten games for elbows, stamps and punches?

Barton got 12 games for those 3.

inmyday wrote: »
    What would Liverpool fans think if Evra or Rio did the exact same thing as Luis? Would they say 10 games is a bit harsh?
    I wish the fans would think about it. 10 games is not that bad.

I'd completely think the same. Three game ban. Laugh my head off. Move on.

Lumbo wrote: »
    Barton got 12 games for those 3.

Eh..within seconds of each other?? What did Huth get for a stamp? What did Fellaini get for a headbutt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Brendan Rodgers spouting some ****e..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

I'd completely think the same. Three game ban. Laugh my head off. Move on.

Spoofer. No way would you say that. You would be on the other side of the fence, saying 3 games is not near enough. And we would all be here talking rubbish for 40+ pages.

But because hes a player you like, youre not happy.

I remember When Keane was playing for utd, all the fans loved him, I would listen to my mates(utd fans) defend him time after time (red cards, haaland, world cup 2002) etc. Everything.
    And now they think hes a p****. "he has a big mouth on him", Why is he slagging utd players?" "s*** manager"...

My point is, when Luis leaves, will he still be loved by the fans? Or another Torres, where liverpool fans dislike him now?
    And look at poor Hamann getting abused from clowns. Football fans have awful memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Eh..within seconds of each other?? What did Huth get for a stamp? What did Fellaini get for a headbutt?

You Liverpool fans are fierce sensitive this week.

Stop trying to deflect attention away from your previously warned player.

inmyday wrote: »
    Spoofer. No way would you say that. You would be on the other side of the fence, saying 3 games is not near enough. And we would all be here talking rubbish for 40+ pages.

But because hes a player you like, youre not happy.

I remember When Keane was playing for utd, all the fans loved him, I would listen to my mates(utd fans) defend him time after time (red cards, haaland, world cup 2002) etc. Everything.
    And now they think hes a p****. "he has a big mouth on him", Why is he slagging utd players?" "s*** manager"...

My point is, when Luis leaves, will he still be loved by the fans? Or another Torres, where liverpool fans dislike him now?
    And look at poor Hamann getting abused from clowns. Football fans have awful memories!

Spoofer?? If Rooney bit a player, i'd laugh at it. I'd also say he should be sent off. And if he wasn't, i'd hope he'd be done retrospectively.

Lumbo wrote: »
    You Liverpool fans are fierce sensitive this week.

Stop trying to deflect attention away from your previously warned player.

Says the bloke who brought up Barton.

Stop trying to deflect attention away from our previously warned player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Now we have a copycat! :pac:
    Mum blames Suarez after son is bitten by another child in 'copycat' incident

Daily Mail

article-2313071-196D7209000005DC-804_306x423.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

Am surprised at the turnaround from Rodgers, first no player is indispensable, and now he's criticizing the FA. The idea that Suarez is being victimized is laughable though.

Liverpool would be better off taking the ban and just putting it behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

tigger123 wrote: »
    Am surprised at the turnaround from Rodgers, first no player is indispensable, and now he's criticizing the FA. The idea that Suarez is being victimized is laughable though.

Liverpool would be better off taking the ban and just putting it behind them.

I hope they do, then we can close this train wreck of a thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I hope they do, then we can close this train wreck of a thread.

Nothing wrong with a train wreck every now and again, it's good for the soul!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I wonder if Rodgers will be wearing a silly white t-shirt supporting Suarez during his interviews at the weekend.

He he the state of kenny wearing that still makes me chuckle, what a joke of a manager. Seems Brendan learned nothing from it and wants to go the same way with some of the utter nonsense he is spouting.

LFC really need to overhaul their PR department.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

donalg1 wrote: »
    I wonder if Rodgers will be wearing a silly white t-shirt supporting Suarez during his interviews at the weekend.

He he the state of kenny wearing that still makes me chuckle, what a joke of a manager. Seems Brendan learned nothing from it and wants to go the same way with some of the utter nonsense he is spouting.

LFC really need to overhaul their PR department.

Joke of a post TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the unbiased BBC football analyist has nicely distilled the attitute of LFC (and the fans)
    Liverpool appear so gripped by fear of losing the 26-year-old that they are now in serious danger of repeating some of the mistakes that damaged their image during the Evra saga while also transforming Suarez into a figure who is bigger than the club.
    <snip>
    Instead, Rodgers almost made it sound like Suarez had been the victim of a plot hatched by the game's establishment rather than a repeat offender who has failed to learn from previous sanctions or curb his excesses by sinking his teeth, without provocation, into Ivanovic's arm.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22302801

By the way, Barcelona fans are now softy accusing UEFA of being behind a plot against them which resulted in their 4-0 loss to Bayern.
    Jaysus, if it isnt the FA its UEFA with their clandestine (non existant) plots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Montroseee wrote: »
    Biting is far worse than any of the above. At least if it ever went to court, Suarez could use insanity as a defense because the guy is not all there.
    I feel pity aswell as disgust.

Would that hold up in a court of law though. That biting would be considered worse than the other things you mentioned. I'm not expert but I would have thought that one of the key things would be how badly impacted the victim was. It was an appalling thing to do but so are the others when carried out deliberately, to cause harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Can a Liverpool fan explain exactly why a ten game ban is too much?

you'd swear Liverpool were claiming innocence the way some sections of the media, and some on here, are going on.

the club know he should be banned, and they want Suarez to get help too.

the ban seems disproportionate according to the club. that's literally all the problem is.

i don't see what's difficult to grasp about this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement