Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suarez Banned for 10 games

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

They've regressed as far as being overly reliant on him. There doesn't seem to be many options when he has an off day.

Take him out of the equation and they'd be a lot worse off I reckon.

Of course, that could all change depending on who they bring in.

Here come the stats :P

http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/130422/stats-suggest-liverpool-could-cope-without-luis-suarez-196156

sZ18lJJ.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

They're have been no reported cases of it being transmitted that way . For that too happen it would need a hell of a lot of things to make it happen . Break the skin so that the person bleeds while you are bleeding from the mouth . That would be very very rare .
    Also if he had Aids wouldn't the club know about it and wouldn't his career be over ?

You said it couldn't happen, it could. People always get bleeding lips in matches and my have sores on their lips, who knows. Yeah, they'd know if he had AIDS but he could be infected by HIV. You don't know, the club doesn't know, I don't know but most importantly Ivanovic doesn't know. I honestly don't know how anyone can defend biting in any way, shape or form. If anyone thinks that 10 games is harsh given Suarez's track record then they are either a delusional Liverpool fan or they need their head checked. And for the record, I actually like Suarez he's a mental bastard but he's a miserable cúnt when he acts out like that. I'd forgive him for his handballs and the likes but being racist, biting people and kicking out at people is scummy behaviour which he can't seem to eradicate. I doubt this many people would be defending Joey Barton if he did the same and got 10 games.

Anyway, I'm done for the day for describing why 10 games is appropriate for grabbing your opponent and trying to break his flesh with your teeth. If people don't see why that deserves a lengthy ban then may God have mercy on their souls

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

From seeing other posts it just confirms some on the ignore list were right calls

Please re-read the forum charter here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

zerks wrote: »
    The chairman of the Liverpool Supporters Club (Richard Pedder): "I don't think it's a shock, I think he deserves everything he gets.

"It's down to the club to tell him 'this is your last chance'. He won't leave the club [this summer]. They shouldn't have said anything and just accepted the ban.

"With them releasing a statement, it's going to go on and on again and we want it closed. We haven't had enough but we're concerned. Nobody is bigger than the club."

What does the term "Nobody is bigger than the club mean". Do people think Suarez is bigger than the club himself. I'm sure he doesn't. If he was holding the club to ransom for a new contract or refused to play I'd understand this term but I don't think it's fair to use it here about him.

jive wrote: »
    You said it couldn't happen, it could. People always get bleeding lips in matches and my have sores on their lips, who knows. Yeah, they'd know if he had AIDS but he could be infected by HIV. You don't know, the club doesn't know, I don't know but most importantly Ivanovic doesn't know. I honestly don't know how anyone can defend biting in any way, shape or form. If anyone thinks that 10 games is harsh given Suarez's track record then they are either a delusional Liverpool fan or they need their head checked. And for the record, I actually like Suarez he's a mental bastard but he's a miserable cúnt when he acts out like that. I'd forgive him for his handballs and the likes but being racist, biting people and kicking out at people is scummy behaviour which he can't seem to eradicate. I doubt this many people would be defending Joey Barton if he did the same and got 10 games.

Anyway, I'm done for the day for describing why 10 games is appropriate for grabbing your opponent and trying to break his flesh with your teeth. If people don't see why that deserves a lengthy ban then may God have mercy on their souls

Barton has had his off the field troubles as well where as Suarez just seems to be a nutter on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

opr wrote: »
    Arguing the toss over what way the FA apply the rules for retrospective review is just silly because we all know it's a load of horse****. When someone elbows, stamps, clearly makes a violent tackle and referee does nothing during the game then he hasn't seen the incident. This idea the FA then comes along and claims because the referee was looking at the incident they can't do anything is the greatest load of cock ever. Just ****ing dish out the punishment. Clearly if the referee hasn't punished the player he hasn't seen what has happened.

The Suarez incident should have been reviewed. The thing that gets to me though is so do all those other violent incidents which have hid behind this awful rule that if the referee was looking in the direction of the incident then somehow the player gets away without punishment. It's like the overlords of the game are doing everything they can to try do things as badly as they can.

Opr

i believe it's the same reason why there is no in play video decisions, because they cannot really control the outcomes, they need to have some kind of control on the proceedings of the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

mada999 wrote: »
    i believe it's the same reason why there is no in play video decisions, because they cannot really control the outcomes, they need to have some kind of control on the proceedings of the league

You'll notice the same when some grounds have the game running on a big screen in the stadium,controversial incidents are not repeated on screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Liverpool are kind of lucky that they have nothing to play for at the end of the season.

The whole biting incident was very childish.

Then again how many matches did Eden Hazard get banned from for kicking a ball boy???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

jive wrote: »
    You said it couldn't happen, it could. People always get bleeding lips in matches and my have sores on their lips, who knows. Yeah, they'd know if he had AIDS but he could be infected by HIV.

For that too happen it would take alot of circumstantial things to happen . If a player knew they had HIV or anything along those lines I would that would be career over anyway . Plus to argue about Hiv / Aids from a bite is a bit far fetched because as I have pointed out there have been no none cases of that happening .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

mikeym wrote: »
    Liverpool are kind of lucky that they have nothing to play for at the end of the season.

The whole biting incident was very childish.

Then again how many matches did Eden Hazard get banned from for kicking a ball boy???

The ball boy thing was nothing, I'm saying that as a Liverpool fan, ballboy was way in the wrong, and Hazard tried to kick the ball from under him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

if it happened to another supporters player they would be cracking up if it was a 10 game ban, simples.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

mada999 wrote: »
    if it happened to another supporters player they would be cracking up if it was a 10 game ban, simples.....

That's very presumptuous and not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

mayordenis wrote: »
    The ball boy thing was nothing, I'm saying that as a Liverpool fan, ballboy was way in the wrong, and Hazard tried to kick the ball from under him.

Didnt see any teeth marks on Ivanovic which means the whole incident has been blown out of proportion.

I know it was childish but the ban is too harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I think the ban is just and not at all harsh as I have stated earlier on in the thread but something else came up in conversation today .

I'm a big Chelsea fan , A lot of opposition fans dont like Chelsea predominately because of John Terry and Ashley Cole ,

They have tarnished the image of the club on many an occasion and we became the club everyone loved to hate but I have to say the Luis Suarez is quickly turning Liverpool FC into that Club now.

The no class club used to be the taunt, but here we are now with Liverpool FC's name getting dragged through the mud again to a worldwide audience and even releasing a statement to complain about the severity of the punishment and Mister Suarez is once again front row center of the controversy.

This, to me furthermore tarnishes the image of this once great institution of the English game, where is the class ? where is the humility ? why not take there poison and accept the ban on the chin ?

The club even said the incident was unbecoming of a LFC player but then choose to complain about the length of the ban , I just dont see the logic , there dragging the whole saga out more , even if he gets two games off the damage has been done now with this stance.

The classy club sitting on the moral high ground , has ceased to function , ceased to exist in my opinion .

It was something I always used to envy as an opposition supporter , but alas no longer.

Always seem to making the headlines for the wrong reasons these times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

mikeym wrote: »
    Didnt see any teeth marks on Ivanovic which means the whole incident has been blown out of proportion.

I know it was childish but the ban is too harsh.

This is nonsense. It's what the incident represents, rather than the outcome, that resulted in the ban.

The same happened a few years ago when David Prutton got a 10 game ban for pushing an official. The official was, of course, fine and also had no visible marks from the incident. But it was the nature of the incident that caused him to get a lengthy ban.

I think the ban is just and not at all harsh as I have stated earlier on in the thread but something else came up in conversation today .

I'm a big Chelsea fan , A lot of opposition fans dont like Chelsea predominately because of John Terry and Ashley Cole ,

They have tarnished the image of the club on many an occasion and we became the club everyone loved to hate but I have to say the Luis Suarez is quickly turning Liverpool FC into that Club now.

The no class club used to be the taunt, but here we are now with Liverpool FC's name getting dragged through the mud again to a worldwide audience and even releasing a statement to complain about the severity of the punishment and Mister Suarez is once again front row center of the controversy.

This, to me furthermore tarnishes the image of this once great institution of the English game, where is the class ? where is the humility ? why not take there poison and accept the ban on the chin ?

The club even said the incident was unbecoming of a LFC player but then choose to complain about the length of the ban , I just dont see the logic , there dragging the whole saga out more , even if he gets two games off the damage has been done now with this stance.

The classy club sitting on the moral high ground , has ceased to function , ceased to exist in my opinion .

It was something I always used to envy as an opposition supporter , but alas no longer.

Always seem to making the headlines for the wrong reasons these times.

When a Liverpool player shoots someone in the training ground with an air rifle then I might start thinking that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There's been more deflections from Pool fans tonight than Lampard's had in his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

When a Liverpool player shoots someone in the training ground with an air rifle then I might start thinking that

Id happily be shot with an Air riffle than bitten but each to there own ,

But on your point that you make , why on the defensive ?

Am I wrong it what I have said , is Suarez not dragging the name of the club through the mud again ? and to a worldwide audience ?

Id happily be shot with an Air riffle than bitten but each to there own ,

But on your point that you make , why on the defensive ?

Am I wrong it what I have said , is Suarez not dragging the name of the club through the mud again ? and to a worldwide audience ?

What he did is wrong and stupid and cant defend him but the media reaction to me has gone over board 100% and that is because it is not an English player and Suarez is currently the pantomime villain in the premier league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Has anyone thought of Suarez's well being here?

I mean, missing ten matches - the poor fella could starve to death!!

Has anyone thought of Suarez's well being here?

I mean, missing ten matches - the poor fella could starve to death!!

And might also miss the confederations cup so it could be a nice long break for him this summer

Xavi6 wrote: »
    There's been more deflections from Pool fans tonight than Lampard's had in his career.

What do you expect though, we are only human, listen to **** from every other clubs fans as if they never had a player in a bit of trouble before. Its only natural to go on the defensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What he did is wrong and stupid and cant defend him but the media reaction to me has gone over board 100% and that is because it is not an English player and Suarez is currently the pantomime villain in the premier league

Because of his ****ing ridiculous actions in the past. You make it sound like it's not his fault that he's the current villain. It's 100% on him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

He bit somebody.
    He bit somebody.
    He actually bit somebody.

For the people defending him, please go out and bite somebody.
    See if you get 10 days off your job.
    He got away lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Not sure if this has been posted. I looked and couldn't find it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz740a_luis-suarez-not-just-a-diver_sport#.UXhgZbW7Ieo

sea_monkey wrote: »
    He bit somebody.
    He bit somebody.

He got away lucky.

Try headbutting or stamping on somebody in your job, would u expect to get 3 days off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

sea_monkey wrote: »
    He bit somebody.
    He bit somebody.

He got away lucky.

The first verse is catchy, but the second just meanders off. It'll never catch on.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Try headbutting or stamping on somebody in your job, would u expect to get 3 days off.

no, which is the point.

thanks for agreeing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Duncan Ferguson got imprisoned for headbutting a player. We can do this deflection thing all night, tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

[-0-] wrote: »

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz740a_luis-suarez-not-just-a-diver_sport#.UXhgZbW7Ieo

Any of the idiots saying he should stamp on players etc. instead of biting should just have a look at that video and see he's been doing it for years.

Duncan Ferguson got imprisoned for headbutting a player. We can do this deflection thing all night, tbf.

Is this the new word now, deflection, nobody says Suarez should not have been punished. We just think the punishment is harsh and the only way to put this view across is by comparing it to other incidents. Nobody is deflecting from what Suarez did and trying to say what he did wasnt bonkers.

ok, rooney got a three match ban for cursing at a camera.

is biting somebody three times as bad as that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

[-0-] wrote: »

**** me didn't think he left the foot in as often and as blatantly as that. Some of those are horrendous. I know that type of vid is only trying to show him in one light but there are a good few seperate instances there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

cson wrote: »
    **** me didn't think he left the foot in as often and as blatantly as that. Some of those are horrendous. I know that type of vid is only trying to show him in one light but there are a good few seperate instances there.

Yeah the guy who made it obviously had an agenda but there is a lot of bad stuff in it to be fair.

cson wrote: »

I was the same i had to turn it off halfway through, i nearly got sick, Some of them tackles could have snapped a players leg right off and killed him. I'm sick after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Of course, you must trivialise it as to simply acknowledge that he is a dirty player goes against the witch hunt theory

Course, you put a video up like that of, oh I dunno, say Roy Keane for example, and listen to how offended you would get about his scummy behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I was the same i had to turn it off halfway through, i nearly got sick, Some of them tackles could have snapped a players leg right off and killed him. I'm sick after it.

I reckon you're losing the plot over this. What will you do when he leaves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

In all seriousness some of them are shocking. I've no agenda against Suarez or Liverpool and I would think my past posts reflect that.

fwiw the ban is excessive but he has to know his card had been marked well before that by the media and The FA which makes what he did all the more unforgiveable imo. I think Super-Rush referred to it as brain dead in the LFC thread and thats exactly what it was.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Of course, you must trivialise it as to simply acknowledge that he is a dirty player goes against the witch hunt theory

Course, you put a video up like that of, oh I dunno, say Roy Keane for example, and listen to how offended you would get about his scummy behaviour

Yes but i'm not allowed put up a video of any other player as this would be deflection. Honestly do you not think you could make up a 2 min video of 50% of the players in the premiership and make them look like dirty players. I dont think he is a dirty player tbh he is has never got a straight red for liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

It's unfortunate that a player of his calibre is likely going to be plying his trade even further abroad due to his own antics. Also he has no real hope of winning anything of note at Liverpool over the next 2-3 years so he has to ask himself is it worth the bother of staying at Liverpool? I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

There was never going to be the right amount of games for him to be suspended. Such an idiotic thing to do but he had history. Was surprised at the length of the ban. Maybe the fa sending out a message . In fairness the racism ban should have been longer.

greenman09 wrote: »
    There was never going to be the right amount of games for him to be suspended. Such an idiotic thing to do but he had history. Was surprised at the length of the ban. Maybe the fa sending out a message . In fairness the racism ban should have been longer.

Well not to be deflecting again but shouldn't they have done that with John Terry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Yes but i'm not allowed put up a video of any other player as this would be deflection. Honestly do you not think you could make up a 2 min video of 50% of the players in the premiership and make them look like dirty players. I dont think he is a dirty player tbh he is has never got a straight red for liverpool.

Just because he has never got a straight red doesnt mean he has never deserved one. That is plainly obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Timmyctc wrote: »
    FYP
    article-0-1831EC7E000005DC-434_468x318.jpg
    article-2235082-16164669000005DC-108_306x423.jpg
    suarezdive5.gif
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqjrUO0aDOrqYupUmU8wKcEw_vsd1cPgHP98mWCm9bvx0-3mgBCQ
    iHvvo5bLLinZE.gif
    etc etc etc

suarezgif.gif

suarez_goal_07122012.jpg

ls2_2130957b.jpg

suaraez_1418611a.jpg

Pg-69s-suarez-getty.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAEO1MOIb5V8A7yDA7QIeUgaF7hx8OVigARg9HyDjhuqIJjXOU

suarez-bites-ivanovic.jpg

The lad is a gifted footballer, alongside anyone in the league.

However, if you look at the amount of "incidents" he has been involved with since he went to the Premier league, never mind his previous for biting, the ban is quite fair imho as his disciplinary record is awful.

It's not chance that these things keep coming up. There is no smoke without fire. The lad is as insane as he is gifted.

The reaction to the Ivanovic incident has blown up out of proportion. Why? Because of extra media scrutiny due to the cumulative effect of behaviour. He can have absolutely nobody to blame but himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

He is a filthy gutter rat who should be banned from football is the only rational conclusion I can draw from all this. Let's not forget this too, despicable unsporting behaviour;
    soc_g_suarez_sy_300.jpg

EDIT: that conclusion is based on the mountain of evidence of all the disgraceful stamping, rugby tackling, elbowing, gouging, hand-balling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

He is a filthy gutter rat who should be banned from football is the only rational conclusion I can draw from all this. Let's not forget this too, despicable unsporting behaviour;
    soc_g_suarez_sy_300.jpg

That is a rational conclusion alright. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Rooney10 wrote: »
    suarezgif.gif

suarez_goal_07122012.jpg

ls2_2130957b.jpg

suaraez_1418611a.jpg

Pg-69s-suarez-getty.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAEO1MOIb5V8A7yDA7QIeUgaF7hx8OVigARg9HyDjhuqIJjXOU

suarez-bites-ivanovic.jpg

The lad is a gifted footballer, alongside anyone in the league.

However, if you look at the amount of "incidents" he has been involved with since he went to the Premier league, never mind his previous for biting, the ban is quite fair imho as his disciplinary record is awful.

It's not chance that these things keep coming up. There is no smoke without fire. The lad is as insane as he is gifted.

The reaction to the Ivanovic incident has blown up out of proportion. Why? Because of extra media scrutiny due to the cumulative effect of behaviour. He can have absolutely nobody to blame but himself.

Whats worse about this post is that you could easily put more pics etc in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Big Knox wrote: »
    That is a rational conclusion alright. :rolleyes:

It would seem highly irrational to defend, in any way, such acts by Luis Suarez. You appear to have adopted a smugness (denoted by the perpetually annoying 'rolleyes' smiley) which you feel is based upon my outrageous statement, is it?

Well, whatever your feelings on my statement are, I am inferring from your sarcastic post that you can at least attempt to defend Suarez. I sniggered as I typed that, at the thought of how absurd you are going to sound when you enunciate your feelings justifying the man's actions.

So come on mister sarcastic, I am waiting :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement