Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using American Sim while over there?

Options
  • 24-04-2013 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I will be going back and forth to NYC a few times in the next year and was wondering if anyone can recommend a carrier with decent Pay as you Go offers. Not interested in calls and texts just data really for using the web and google maps to naviagte my way around the place. Cost me a fortune the last time on 3 roaming.

Any carriers to avoid? And are some not an option on a regular iPhone?

On my last trip I will be taking in San Fran, Miami and Vegas. Do the carriers cover the whole country or are they restricted to any States?

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The major carriers cover the most of the populated areas of country. AT&T and T-Mobile and the virtual operators based on their networks are the main users of GSM. The other major networks use CDMA which means your iPhone won't be much use.

I use a T-Mobile SIM, but none of the carriers there are as generous with data as the networks here in Europe are, especially on PAYG. (Yes, we actually have a better deal here for once).

Mostly, to avoid using data there, I just make use of the ample free wifi spots in the cities (Starbucks, McD's etc all have it) as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Make sure your phone is unlocked before you get there. They passed some stupid regulation about unlocking phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

Get a Maxroam SIM in Ireland you can use it in the US and data 69 cent MB, you can keep your own number too! Husband uses it going back and forth for calls messaging etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Make sure your phone is unlocked before you get there. They passed some stupid regulation about unlocking phones.

Yeah 3 are going to unlock the iPhone for me so I can use it. I have a dual sim adapter in my iPhone so I'll have a US sim and my own sim in there but will use the US one for data. Calls and texts dont bother me at all.

Aprilmay wrote: »
    Get a Maxroam SIM in Ireland you can use it in the US and data 69 cent MB, you can keep your own number too! Husband uses it going back and forth for calls messaging etc.

Will check it out. Googled US sim yesterday and got stuff like red pocket etc. $59 for unlimited calls, texts and data for 30 days which seems ok but i just want to go for an option someone has tried and can vouch for. Cheers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

Just one this to be aware of, i recently moved to the US and brought my iPhone from home, I had a really difficult time getting a Pay As You Go micro sim for my phone, alot of carriers dont seem to do them. In the end my brother who lives on the west coast had to put me on his family plan so he gets the bill and I got a micro-sim!!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

Just one this to be aware of, i recently moved to the US and brought my iPhone from home, I had a really difficult time getting a Pay As You Go micro sim for my phone, alot of carriers dont seem to do them. In the end my brother who lives on the west coast had to put me on his family plan so he gets the bill and I got a micro-sim!!

I got a micro sim pay as you go for both myself and my daughter when we moved here with T-mobile

Its actually a nano sim I would be looking for for the iPhone 5, so even smaller again. Can see people are selling red pocket nano (and micro) sims on ebay and amazon. They can just be set up online then. Just looking for someone to vouch for a service / plan based on experience.

I have a dual sim adapter for my iPhone 5 anyway so it takes any size sim and I can flick between the 2 different sims in the settings menu so no issue there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Did you try ordering one from amazon?

Advertisement