Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router PPPoE Setup

Options
  • 24-04-2013 4:04pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,having alot of broadband problems the last few days.
    Initially it was this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056933060
    Long story short there,it was something along the lines of 2 outgoing connections trying to be made at once and its fine now.
    Now the router was restored to factory settings in the middle of all this so that has to re-configured.I thought it was just a case of selecting PPPoe as my connection type and typing in username and password given to me by my ISP.
    But thats doesn't seem to be it so am I forgetting something?
    Right now I'm bypassing the router and connecting directly to the laptop for temporary internet access

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Hey guys,having alot of broadband problems the last few days.
    Initially it was this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056933060
    Long story short there,it was something along the lines of 2 outgoing connections trying to be made at once and its fine now.
    Now the router was restored to factory settings in the middle of all this so that has to re-configured.I thought it was just a case of selecting PPPoe as my connection type and typing in username and password given to me by my ISP.
    But thats doesn't seem to be it so am I forgetting something?
    Right now I'm bypassing the router and connecting directly to the laptop for temporary internet access

If you are connecting directly bypassing the router and working there is no PPPoE to setup, you have an active connection. Not all providers use PPPoE, who is your provider btw?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Oh sorry in order to connect directly to the modem via cable I had to setup a new broadband connection where I had to enter the my username and password given to me by the ISP(ripplecom)

Oh sorry in order to connect directly to the modem via cable I had to setup a new broadband connection where I had to enter the my username and password given to me by the ISP(ripplecom)

I get you now, you added the PPPoE details to your PC to get connected. The PPPoE username and password Ripplecom gave you must be entered on the router in the Wan section to allow the router to dial and keep the connection alive, then you'll need to remove PPPoE from your PC.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I get you now, you added the PPPoE details to your PC to get connected.Exactely The PPPoE username and password Ripplecom gave you must be entered on the router in the Wan section to allow the router to dial and keep the connection aliveDone that, then you'll need to remove PPPoE from your PC.This I did not do which I will now
    Thanks for your help so far Pog

Also check if the router has an option for the PPPoE to be always on so it keeps the connection alive, rather than dial on demand

• Advertisement

No it didn't work and I had to redo the PPOE connection to get back on here.
    I don't see an option for always on but I presume it has it,we've had the router I think 2 years and never had a problem.
    Just with our recent internet problems its cropped up

You are connecting the Ripplecom cable to the Wan port, right? The router should have a status page where is says whether PPPoE is connected or not. You also may have to click connect. What brand router is it?

Ya I'm connecting the cable to the wan port.On the router status page it says "connection type:PPOE".
    The process I go through is for that is,select PPOE as connection type,enter username and password,apply changes,router restarts after 40 seconds.
    Rotuer type is Belkin N Wireless Router Model F5D8236-4 v3

Ah, Belkin, I'm allergic to Belkin, I've never had any luck with them, they make some terrible shíte. In fact I had some serious problems with them and PPPoE in a previous employment, they just couldn't be trusted to dial PPPoE consistently so we ended up replacing them with Linksys. They'd randomly reset themselves to default or do PPPoE for a few days and then just forget to dial. Has your Belkin suddenly reset itself to default settings by any chance? Time for a new router if that's the case, it can't be trusted, I've seen an issue like this before.

Do Ripplecom have a decent customer support team, maybe they could help, they may even be available to watch to the connection see if PPPoE tries to authenticate while you're talking to them

Ah, Belkin, I'm allergic to Belkin, I've never had any luck with them, they make some terrible shíte. In fact I had some serious problems with them and PPPoE in a previous employment, they just couldn't be trusted to dial PPPoE consistently so we ended up replacing them with Linksys. They'd randomly reset themselves to default or do PPPoE for a few days and then just forget to dial. Has your Belkin suddenly reset itself to default settings by any chance? Time for a new router if that's the case, it can't be trusted, I've seen an issue like this before.

Do Ripplecom have a decent customer support team, maybe they could help, they may even be available to watch to the connection see if PPPoE tries to authenticate while you're talking to them

No we've never had problems before with it.We were having broadband problems and no solution seemed to be working.The router was reset to factory settings on the off chance that might do something but maybe that did more damage than good.
    Ripplecom support was good with regard to solving the broadband problem so I might get onto them tomorrow if the problem persists...which I imagine it will

• Advertisement

Actually what router would you recommend to replace it with?

Actually what router would you recommend to replace it with?

What I recommend you'd struggle with :D

For an easier to configure option check out Linksys E4200 and flash DD-WRT on it to give much more options.
    Others here:
    http://www.flashrouters.com/blog/2013/03/16/best-routers-for-installing-running-dd-wrt-open-source-firmware-2013-updated/

Well I'll be a bricks and mortar shop in the next day or 2.
    Would this do the job?
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/LINKSYS-Linkss-X1000UK-N300-Wireless-ADSL-Modem-Router/314186/7.11

Well I'll be a bricks and mortar shop in the next day or 2.
    Would this do the job?
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/LINKSYS-Linkss-X1000UK-N300-Wireless-ADSL-Modem-Router/314186/7.11

That's ADSL, for use with DSL broadband from a phone line.

You're best off buying online, Amazon will deliver in 2 days. Failing that, Do not listen to anything the gobshítes in PC World say, they haven't a clue

That's ADSL, for use with DSL broadband from a phone line.

You're best off buying online, Amazon will deliver in 2 days. Failing that, Do not listen to anything the gobshítes in PC World say, they haven't a clue
    ^^No more than myself it seems,if I order online now I probably won't have it till monday so bricks and mortar is handier
    Netgear a decent brand
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/NETGEAR-WNR2200100UKS-N300-Wireless-Cable-Router/305147/7.11

Advertisement