Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much football do you watch?

• 24-04-2013 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how much football people actually watch on a weekly basis.
    With work and other stuff I'm lucky if I get to watch a couple of Champions League games midweek and Uniteds game at the weekend.

The way some people post on this forum makes it seem as if they spend hours watching games every week and no matter what player is mentioned they seem to know everything about them.

Is this people just watching Youtube clips of the players or is there anyone here who actually sits through games from the Brazilian League etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

An e-penis thread! Expect plenty of replies to include the Bundesliga and Dortmund.

Personally I watch -

- Every City game
    - One other full Prem game
    - Highlights of all the others
    - Three or four A-League games (half for pleasure, other half for work)
    - One maybe two MLS games plus highlights of the others

No European games since City went out, time difference is a bollox.

There are definitely some YouTube wafflers on this forum, just like every other though to be fair.

Edit: I also attend about 15 or so professional games a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

One or two games per week. Maybe some highlights also. Attend a game 5/6 times per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I watch at least 6 games a month "in person" - ie, actually physically watching them, not via a screen - it's the only way to get a proper working knowledge, and form correct opinions, on the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Most televised Premiership games. Maybe 1 La Liga game per week and 4 or 5 Bundesliga games per year. I attend Shelbourne games home, and away weekly, and typically travel abroad to about 20 games a year. If we're measuring e-penises I've got to be hitting the 11 inch mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I watch enough Sky Sports football coverage to believe that the Premier League is the best league in the world, that Gareth Bale is the second coming of Christ, that Messi wouldn't be able to do it away to Stoke on a wet Wednesday night, and that 'Arry is a triffic manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

All Newcastle games.

Season ticket for Bohemians and have been to a couple of away games thus far this season.

One or two other games in the Premier League if I any take my fancy.

The odd Leeds game with my dad now and again.

Most Champions League games but truth be known I don't take a real interest until the knockout stages.

Some FA Cup/League cup games but both have really lost their appeal to me in the last few years.

Highlight shows of Premier League and the very odd Bundesliga game/Serie A game but very rarely do I get to watch a full game.

Force myself to watch international games these days which wouldn't have been the case when I was younger. Used to go to most home games but I go sporadically these days.

Let me guess , the attrocity league?

care to answer the question in the threads title, or take pot shots at a league you know nothing about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Full Matches on TV:
    An average of 1.5 games per week. Largely EPL for convenience - don't have ESPN or premium Setanta, so Bundesliga is out, while Italian Football, Lique 1 and Spanish football seem like something I 'should' be watching rather than something I want to watch.

Highlights:
    MOTD, The Football League show every three weeks or so, Monday night Soccer

In Person
    I'd go to 90% of Shamrock Rovers home games, so about 18 a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

About 3/4 a week.

I do, however, read plenty of football forums and manage obscure teams in Football Manager, so obviously I'm well up to speed on who my team should sign this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

37242179.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I should add that I've also watched a handful of France games to see which players Newcastle will inevitably sign. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

geeky wrote: »
    In Person
    I'd go to 90% of Shamrock Rovers home games, so about 18 a year?

+Setanta/FAI Cup/League Cup/Leinster Senior Cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

Every Liverpool game, with a few youth games and u21s thrown in when it suits throughout the year.
    Living with United fans would cause me to watch them a good bit too. Also, they are the 2 teams featured most on TV.
    Nearly every other PL game that is on Sky.
    Champions League game every night it's on.
    Spanish game on the Saturday night if I can
    If the ESPN game on Saturday after the English game features some team I'd like to watch, be it German or Italian I'll watch it away, albeit maybe not all of it.

and I YouTube loads of players :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I go to about 30 games per year on average. Watch probably 3/4 per week on average on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Almost every Valencia game, plus 3 or 4 other per week I'd say. Wouldn't always be giving my full attention, but they'd be on. Other than Valencia games and very important matches I wouldn't really go out of my way to sit down and watch a specific match though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i watch 4 pl games a week mostly
    2 Champions League this week & 1 Europa League game
    2 La Liga games & 2 Serie A games

id watch about 10 games a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Don't watch as much as I like.

I try make Cork games when I can. Im fortunate that I can watch full highlights Hibs games and watch and go to few Man United games mostly away trips like this Sunday.

I always catch 2pm Italian game on Setanta and Bundelisga game too.

But if honest after that I struggle to watch games. Will always try watch big games like Barca/Madrid but know people who watch far more.

Can't wait move back to Dublin in few months as always tried get to LOI game there when Cork be at home and could not travel down.

Make most Ireland home and 1 away per qualifier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Depends on my working hours, i would say.

But I'm down in Tolka for every Shels match anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I maybe watch one a week. Go to a live game maybe once every two months.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Xavi6 wrote: »
    An e-penis thread! Expect plenty of replies to include the Bundesliga and Dortmund.

I can imagine the look on your face whether it was after every goal went for Dortmund last night or after waking up to see how events transpired through the media however that may have been :D

Anywhoo, in regards to the OP's question, I watch every Dortmund and Liverpool game plus a couple of others depending on what good fixtures are on throughout the European leagues throughout midweek and weekend. Then lob in the European Cup fixtures on top of that, well it could be half a dozen games I'll properly watch at times but for the most part I'd say it's three to four games on average. There is also the betting factor = bet less on football, watch less which is the case over the past few years for myself. I keep up to date via highlights shows that are on on Youtube and ESPN, and only follow what I consider good footballing journalists on Twitter which helps too.

What with getting back into basketball properly over the past two years/seasons and staying up at all sorts of crazy hours which I think the OP will appreciate, football viewing in general has lessened as a result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Not nearly enough due to work. Only been down to Tolka twice this year but my brother in law who I brought to the first home game of the season has been to every game there since and is badgering me to go to Limerick on Saturday.

If there's a LOI game on the box and I'm not doing anything I'll watch.

I make an effort to watch the latter stages of the Champions League which has been easier this year as there are no English teams and I'll end up watching random French or Italian matches on Setanta.

Very little English football as I don't have Sky and am either locked or asleep by the time MOTD is on, sometimes both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

As much as the wife will let me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

On a good week when nothing else gets in the way...

Gilette Soccer Saturday
    any televised Liverpool match
    any televised Southampton match (have had a liking for them for years)
    Match of the Day
    Serie A if Juventus are playing
    Super Sunday matches
    MNS
    midweek games in European competition, Premier League or domestic cups
    Also go to Limerick FC home games

And when there's a World Cup or Euros on in the summer, I go full whack and tune into every game...no way was I missing Honduras v Chile, New Zealand v Slovakia or Algeria v Slovenia in 2010!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Usually just 1 or 2 games a week.

Liverpool matches will be my priority and I watch pretty much all of them if I can.

Maybe one or two other games if it's particularly big.

Would watch a lot more if I was single, probably more like 4 or 5.

I watch at least 6 games a month "in person" - ie, actually physically watching them, not via a screen - it's the only way to get a proper working knowledge, and form correct opinions, on the sport.

Anyone else think this is bullsh*t?

MD1990 wrote: »
    i watch 4 pl games a week mostly
    2 Champions League this week & 1 Europa League game
    2 La Liga games & 2 Serie A games

id watch about 10 games a week

Wow, can anyone beat that?

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I can imagine the look on your face whether it was after every goal went for Dortmund last night or after waking up to see how events transpired through the media however that may have been :D

I actually like Dortmund as a team, they're awesome!

It's the bandwagon and subsequent faux snobbery that comes with it that's the problem.
    Morzadec wrote: »

Nope. With tv you only see what the camera/broadcaster wants you to see.

When you're at a game you get a much more rounded view of things in terms of off the ball movement, marking battles, and a player's reading of the game.

Both work well together but there's no substitute for actually being at a game if you like the finer details.

No

At a match you can watch who or what you want, not what the director of some tv station wants you to see. You can see off the ball runs and the positioning of defenders while the ball is in the other half. Its also much easier to see the formation of a team and how that changes as the circumstances of the game change.

You see more but you also see plenty on the TV. Usually the camera gives you a fairly broad angle on what's going on.

I wouldn't disregard someone's opinion on a player/team/manager just because they haven't seen them live.

I went to about 12 Atleti games last year and watched about 40 Liverpool games on the box and would have felt way more confident about assessing the Liverpool squad than Atletis.

Don't get me wrong, obviously you see more in a live game, but that doesn't mean that you see nothing watching a match on the box.

• Advertisement

ken wrote: »
    As much as the wife will let me.
    Ain't that the truth
    but that doesn't mean that you see nothing watching a match on the box.
    You see, now you are changing what I said to suit your claim of bullshít.

It's called a Strawman argument
    based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[3] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and to refute it, without ever having actually refuted the original position

Well done.

Cheers I'm aware of what a strawman argument is!

You posted:

it's the only way to get a proper working knowledge, and form correct opinions, on the sport.

For me that implies you can not form correct opinions on football watching it on the box, no? Am I correct in saying this argument is genuine, not a strawman?

I believe you can form correct opinions on the sport without watching a match live.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Last year it was so much better in Inida when ESPN was dedicated to only Premier league as we had 4 more channels to show Serie A, Bundesliga and La Liga. Now ESPN have got the rights for all the leagues except Bundesliga so missed many games from those leagues. Atleast 2 channels are dedicated to Bundesliga and 2 for French league and occassioanl Brazilan league games.

I watch all Manutd games and the late kick off game. Followed by La Liga or Serie A matches.

Would say almost 4-5 games on weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Try to watch every single Man Utd game. Watch most premiership matches on the weekend, CL/Europa fixtures weekdays. Try to go to Tallaght as much as I can too on Fridays if Rovers are playing.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Go to every Bohs home game, away games are a bit more tricky to find time to get to but there are a good few close to Dublin in fairness.

Usually watch 1-3 EPL games at the weekend. If there's any sort of midweek game on I'll usually watch it as well.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Too much according to the missus.Pretty much gave up on Serie A though,just can't get into Italian football these days,I used to love it when I was younger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I keep up to date via highlights shows that are on on Youtube

Any chance of a link to some of these? I've struggled to find any decent highlights shows for non-English football.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Wow, can anyone beat that?

I'd imagine a good few of the lads who regularly post in the football betting forum would.
    I actually like Dortmund as a team, they're awesome!

It's the bandwagon and subsequent faux snobbery that comes with it that's the problem.

I know you've mentioned the bandwagon tag, which I can somewhat get.

What's this faux snobbery are you on about?

All I see is people opening up their eyes and realising that there is indeed football outside of what Sky Sports show and that it's just as good as the EPL or La Liga. Of course there will be a few extreme opinions saying the EPL is crap, etc. X or Y league is better but for me, I take no real notice of it. I don't see why you're seemingly miffed by it. I doubt the other long time Bundesliga fans here care all too much neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

zerks wrote: »
    Too much according to the missus.Pretty much gave up on Serie A though,just can't get into Italian football these days,I used to love it when I was younger.

Agree with this, although I still watch the highlights sometimes.

My answer..

In person - All Sligo Rovers home matches and a few away when work allows. I go over for 3-4 HSV games a season usually.

TV - All HSV games and 4-5 other BL/2.BL games.
    Usually 1 game from the Eredivisie and Ligue 1 plus Sao Paulo/Gamba Osaka games when I can, although Gamba is nearly impossible to watch live now they were relegated and the games start at 5am.
    CL/EL when it's on and then some random games if I'm at home and doing nothing (Tippeligaen or a game I bet on).
    I also have the advantage of having a work computer with no firewall, so I can watch games there too on weekday mornings like the Asian CL or something.

Highlights - I record all of them and watch when I get a chance.
    Alle spiele, Alle tore (All games, all goals) on Sky DE for the 1. and 2. Bundesliga.
    Eurogoals & J. league Magazine on Eurosport
    The Global Game & Football Asia on Al Jazeera.

Usually 7-10 games a week.
    Suffering from insomnia isn't so bad, it gives me lots of time to watch football at night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Depends,

Would watch alot of the liverpool games in the pub if they are on the telly,

Would attend a Bohs now and again prob not as much as i should.

Champions league id have an interest, Internationals if they were on,

wouldnt watch match of the day or anything.

all in all id only really watch the ball if i was in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Watch all Arsenal games (and some reserve and Ladies games if they are on Arsenal Player) and try to get over 2/3 times a season (only once this season cos of college and work getting in the way of football)

Go to Limerick FC games when I can.

Watch MOTD/Premier Soccer Saturday (if I miss PSS I'll watch the MOTD), MNS, any Champions League/Europa League game that is on and when a major tournament is on (World Cup, Euros) I'll watch as much as I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Every Sunderland game (go to a few when time allows, streams for the rest)

The live Premier League games on Saturday, Sunday and Monday

Champions League live games on Tuesday and Wednesday

The odd Europa League game on Thursday

I'd watch the odd Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A and La Liga game too and Match of the Day is a Saturday ritual.

On average around 7-10 live games a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Don't think so. It's the atmosphere, that counts. The smell of grass (I mean, the one on the pitch...), fans jumping all over the place, knocking themselves down when your team scores. You won't get than when you are sitting in front of the telly ;)

What's this faux snobbery are you on about?

All I see is people opening up their eyes and realising that there is indeed football outside of what Sky Sports show and that it's just as good as the EPL or La Liga. Of course there will be a few extreme opinions saying the EPL is crap, etc. X or Y league is better but for me, I take no real notice of it. I don't see why you're seemingly miffed by it. I doubt the other long time Bundesliga fans here care all too much neither.

Well every week I read/edit about 40 articles and a larger than ever number of them make reference to the Bundesliga being so great. However the case is put forward using Bayern and Dortmund as the examples, not the mid level sides who are so far of the pace and have been since day one. Or the absolute rubbish that occupies the relegation zone.

Apart from the top clubs, I don't think the standard in the Bundesliga is any better than the other big leagues but that isn't the line being peddled in a lot of media quarters.

I know well there's genuine Bundesliga fans and I have no problem with them, it's the ones who jump on the bandwagon having only ever watched really Dortmund or Bayern that irritate me and it shines through in their writing.

I'm not going against the grain just to be controversial :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Not true.

There are definitely certain things you get to see more of when at a match but you can see more than enough on the box to form a 'correct opinion', especially if you pay full attention.

I've seen plenty of examples of people being spot on with the analysis of a match that I've been to and they haven't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Shels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Well every week I read/edit about 40 articles and a larger than ever number of them make reference to the Bundesliga being so great. However the case is put forward using Bayern and Dortmund as the examples, not the mid level sides who are so far of the pace and have been since day one. Or the absolute rubbish that occupies the relegation zone.

Apart from the top clubs, I don't think the standard in the Bundesliga is any better than the other big leagues but that isn't the line being peddled in a lot of media quarters.

I know well there's genuine Bundesliga fans and I have no problem with them, it's the ones who jump on the bandwagon having only ever watched really Dortmund or Bayern that irritate me and it shines through in their writing.

So pretty much the La Liga argument from 2 years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I watch most Man United games. After that it's whatever I can see. Between work, college, the girlfriend and all I get to see very little if the truth is told. If I'm honest I'd find it very hard to sit down and watch 4/5 matches a week unless it's the World Cup or a really important week of the season. During the GAA season it becomes extra hard for me to catch up on games. I'll try and watch highlights to keep in touch with most sides.

Also I work awkward hours and I tend to miss most weekend games and I work with a bunch of gamblers so I can never hide the score of a game to watch it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I always thought you were solely on about posters on boards with regards to 'Dortmund Hipsters', didn't realise you meant its something you come across in general.

I watch every Liverpool game and usually another PL one each weekend. Add CL and Europa League and I try to watch some of the top teams from Germany, Holland and France when I can.
    Probably watched between four to six games this season from each of those three leagues, mainly PSG, Ajax/PSV, and Dortmund/Bayern.

Doesn't really count on here, but I try and watch every Giants game as well.

Would love to have the free time to watch even more tbh.

A bit off topic but I'm curious. WTF is this Dortmund hipster thing? I like Dortmund because my stag was in Hamburg last year the weekend HSV played Dortmund, we went to the game and had a great time and then a lot of the weekend was spent drinking with Borrussia fans. I've kept an eye on their results since although don't consider myself a fan. Same with Hamburg actually.
    I didn't realise there was a bandwagon!

Knex. wrote: »
    I always thought you were solely on about posters on boards with regards to 'Dortmund Hipsters', didn't realise you meant its something you come across in general.

I wouldn't use boards to form a definite opinion on anything ;)

Funnily enough at the moment I'm going through a piece that points out that there's more to the Bundesliga and talks specifically about Freiburg, Monchengladbach and Bremen so maybe there's hope yet!

• Advertisement
Advertisement