Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much football do you watch?

2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Any chance of a link to some of these? I've struggled to find any decent highlights shows for non-English football.

Sorry Niall, must have missed your post after I posted mine.

Ligue 1, Goal.com (show footage from all sorts of leagues, transfer talk is crap though), J League and MLS channels below, show snippets of matches and goals. Very brief highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC58LMAlfwtGRNR6Xpd4DlSA
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOsSYqGWLJdbmcxHvnYdiA

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjVd6vTuoAYLFYvX5TSK1aA goal.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/jleague

http://www.youtube.com/user/mls

ESPN thankfully cover these leagues and have proper highlight shows which I normally catch throughout the week. But if I miss something, I'll watch the above Youtube channels or the likes of www.101greatgoals.com and www.footytube.com which are well known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

watch Arsenal Chelsea Liverpool Spurs anytime they're on tv, watch every United game before those. Sometimes watch La liga on the weekend. Haven't watched German fussball in a while. Watch all the cl quarters/semis like most here I'd assume. In conclusion alot !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

dan1895 wrote: »
    A bit off topic but I'm curious. WTF is this Dortmund hipster thing? I like Dortmund because my stag was in Hamburg last year the weekend HSV played Dortmund, we went to the game and had a great time and then a lot of the weekend was spent drinking with Borrussia fans. I've kept an eye on their results since although don't consider myself a fan. Same with Hamburg actually.
    I didn't realise there was a bandwagon!

a more distinct type of a football hipster :pac: http://balls.ie/football/the-balls-ie-guide-to-being-a-football-hipster/

the Dortmund Hipster http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2013/4/24/4260942/borussia-dortmund

an extract

Dortmund's title in 2010-11 and subsequent Bundesliga-German cup double the following year attracted large volumes of fans, and those who started supporting the club in 2010 had to start lying to differentiate themselves from those who hopped aboard the bandwagon in 2011 and 2012. They claimed that they followed Shinji Kagawa's J. League career, that they knew Jürgen Klopp was a genius when he was at Mainz, that they watch the Polish Ekstraklasa to find the next generation of Dortmund stars and that they decided to start supporting Dortmund because they enjoyed Lucas Barrios' play at the 2010 World Cup, not because of anything that happened afterwards. There are literally thousands of these people poisoning the internet for people who are not awful, and it would be wonderful if they disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Posted this in the BL thread a few days ago. Here it is again if anyone wants tips on being a BL hipster ;)

http://bundesligafanatic.com/25-steps-to-becoming-a-bundesliga-hipster/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Posted this in the BL thread a few days ago. Here it is again if anyone wants tips on being a BL hipster ;)

http://bundesligafanatic.com/25-steps-to-becoming-a-bundesliga-hipster/

There's some gems in there :D

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well every week I read/edit about 40 articles and a larger than ever number of them make reference to the Bundesliga being so great. However the case is put forward using Bayern and Dortmund as the examples, not the mid level sides who are so far of the pace and have been since day one. Or the absolute rubbish that occupies the relegation zone.

Apart from the top clubs, I don't think the standard in the Bundesliga is any better than the other big leagues but that isn't the line being peddled in a lot of media quarters.

I know well there's genuine Bundesliga fans and I have no problem with them, it's the ones who jump on the bandwagon having only ever watched really Dortmund or Bayern that irritate me and it shines through in their writing.

I'm not going against the grain just to be controversial :)

Don't necessarily agree with some of your comments but fair enough. Me personally, I believe the majority of leagues have something about them, t that something that makes it worth watching. The best league in the world talk doesn't matter all too much to me honestly, even if Sky's best league in the world talk irritates me.

Heads up, I suggest not reading the latest World Soccer Magazine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Don't think so. It's the atmosphere, that counts. The smell of grass (I mean, the one on the pitch...), fans jumping all over the place, knocking themselves down when your team scores. You won't get than when you are sitting in front of the telly ;)

Agree that all these things are great but that's not what I was claiming was bullsh*t. We were not debating atmosphere etc...

It was in response to the claim that the only way to form correct opinions about the game is to watch it live. This, I feel, is completely not true - in fact quite often when you're at a game you miss something because you don't have the benefit of a replay.

The best way to understand a football match would be probably to go to the game live and then watch detailed highlights of the same game after.

However, it is far from the only way to understand the game, and people watching it on the box are more than capable of making shrewd insights, correct judgements and interesting detailed analyses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

All home Drogheda United games, get to as many aways as I can.

All Man Utd games, MOTD, Soccer Saturday and The Football League show. Then the likes of El Classico or decent CL ties that are on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You dont have to go to game to form opinion. Lot of guys here get analysis spot on here from watching games and posting here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Really depends, watch CL when its on but would never watch a full game from domestic leagues. Try to watch PSG and Spurs now and again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Go to: Rovers home and away and any local game that is on if I'm abroad.

Watch: MNS, the Airtricity game on RTÉ if Rovers aren't playing that night, Barcelona home and away, the ESPN Saturday game, the Setanta 3pm game and anything else that crops on ESPN/Setanta whilst I'm free.

Like the Russian League/Copa America/Copa Libertadores/MLS/Bundesliga/Ligue1/Serie A/FA Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

How you lads have time/attention span to watch so much football? I can barely last a full champions league game let alone some crap premierleague match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

EdenHazard wrote: »
    How you lads have time/attention span to watch so much football? I can barely last a full champions league game let alone some crap premierleague match.

Why do you post in this forum if your interest in watching the sport is so low?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

TV wise not a lot as there is basically no football, bar the Coppa Italia on terrestial tv here unfortunately. Everything is divided up between Sky and Mediaset and I refuse to pay money to either Murdoch or Berlusconi. Therefore if I can nick a stream somewhere, I will. In terms of attending games, I get along to about 10 home games a season for Napoli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

A bit off topic but I'm curious. WTF is this Dortmund hipster thing? I like Dortmund because my stag was in Hamburg last year the weekend HSV played Dortmund, we went to the game and had a great time and then a lot of the weekend was spent drinking with Borrussia fans. I've kept an eye on their results since although don't consider myself a fan. Same with Hamburg actually.
    I didn't realise there was a bandwagon!

They are in a final, of course there is a bandwagon!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

They are in a final, of course there is a bandwagon!!!

They're not in any final yet and if your counting their thrashing of Madrid that was only 4 days ago in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

EdenHazard wrote: »

ari-gold-gtfo.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

watch all liverpool games with some u21 and youth games aswell, brother is a united fan so i end up watching them a good bit aswell, as much prem matches that i can when i can.

all champions league after groups and europa league (when were in it :p )

watch bundesliga review every week and some live shalke, bayern, dortmund and leverkusen matches.

not interested that much in international just the tournaments mainly

some ligue 1 reviews and serie a when i can, and the odd spanish games at the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

They're not in any final yet and if your counting their thrashing of Madrid that was only 4 days ago in fairness.

I know and now I have probably jinxed them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

I used to watch a lot of Champions League when I was younger and any cup games (FA, League Cup, etc). Used to watch a lot of Celtic games and go along to the pub to watch the Monday night games when I was in college (you get some free sandwiches sometimes - poor students of course!). Used to work in a bar too so lots of footy then.

Nowadays, I just watch all Liverpool, Kaiserslautern and Irish first team games as much as I can. It was a hell of a lot harder to follow that when I was in Korea for years with the time difference but being in Germany had made football very easy to watch :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Try to watch most liverpool games. would love a tv subscription that allows me to watch all their games. Really don't care about any other PL game.

CL games with something to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I've seen every United match this season.

I've seen most of the Irish games in full, bar the Germany match.

I don't think I've seen any other match in full. I usually dip in and out of matches. I haven't got the time to be 'wasting' on matches. Far too much to get done for my work experience. I will tune into the last 15/20 minutes of a match if I think it's worth it.

I've been to 4/5 Bangor City matches. The standard is nowhere near that of the top leagues in England. But, seeing a screamer live in the flesh beats seeing it on TV every day of the week. I've seen some crackers over here during those matches.

This is one of the best matches I've ever been to. It had everything. The Airbus assistant manager was sitting up beside us and he gave us some dirty looks during the game for the stuff were shouting about them ha.

Advertisement