Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinker Tipping

Options
  • 24-04-2013 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

There is a few members of the travelling community after parking their caravans down the road from my house.I put out my recycling bin earlier and came home to find they had put 3 bags of their rubbish piled on top of the bin. Obviously the bin company won't take them so do i a) report them somewhere or b)wait untill darkness and dump the rubbish all over the front step of their "houses"?

Any other suggestions let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

If they are the lads on the Rockshire Road, I'd steer well clear. Get a lock for your bin and move on. Unfortunate but you don't want to bring those 'people' on you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Ah option b wont work for you at all, they are at home all day with nothing to do and your not so your just not gonna win there.

Phone the council, explain your case and they should move them to a halting site.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

The bin was closed it was all piled on top.Which means im stuck with their rubbish until next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Contact PAVEE POINT & ask them for their advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Baybay

This is a genuine question but how do you know who put the rubbish with your recycling?

• Advertisement

Apparently they are being moved on in next day or so and its being blocked off so they can't park their again so no point doing anything because they will just dump it again when they leave.I love how if any normal member of society acted like that we would be fined straight away but they are just told to move on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Other then travelers being near by I also don't see how you can say 100% that it was a member of the traveler community that filled your bins.

Just as easily could have been anyone else or students for example, I've seen this happen even in the place I live where a chap for a few weeks in a row drove up to a neighbor and topped up their bin with his rubbish before it was collected.

He didn't know the people and the chap wasn't a traveler.

Baybay wrote: »
    This is a genuine question but how do you know who put the rubbish with your recycling?

Seen doing it by a few neighbours.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mooley22 wrote: »
    Seen doing it by a few neighbours.

If that was the case then your correct course of action would be to call the litter warden about the matter and get them to collect the rubbish.

If you dump the rubbish elsewhere you are only further littering the area (as dogs, cats may likely open the bags) and you are only delaying the litter warden clearing it up later.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Other then travelers being near by I also don't see how you can say 100% that it was a member of the traveler community that filled your bins.

Just as easily could have been anyone else or students for example, I've seen this happen even in the place I live where a chap for a few weeks in a row drove up to a neighbor and topped up their bin with his rubbish before it was collected.

It's really not an area where students are and they were seen doing it.There are alot of houses around here,its a busy road and it was done in broad daylight.Somebody was going to see them they just obviously don't care.

• Advertisement

If that was the case then your correct course of action would be to call the litter warden about the matter and get them to collect the rubbish.

If you dump the rubbish elsewhere you are only further littering the area (as dogs, cats may likely open the bags) and you are only delaying the litter warden clearing it up later.

Well they are being moved on so no matter what i do nothing will happen to them anyway.Hopefully they will stay away this time.People cant even walk their dogs past where they are parked without being harassed and asked for "a loan of a euro"

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

thomasm wrote: »
    If they are the lads on the Rockshire Road, I'd steer well clear. Get a lock for your bin and move on. Unfortunate but you don't want to bring those 'PEOPLE' on you

That term is a bit rich for those lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

fozz10 wrote: »
    That term is a bit rich for those lads

Couldn't agree more, however venting true feelings would probably get me banned

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

I've friends living in the newer estates down from the golf course and the caravans have really affected people using the road - even walking kids to school, there's hassle.

There's also a dog yapping a lot from the caravans, but the wardens (Waterford or Kilkenny) won't go near them.

I'd love to know which council has taken responsibility (this time!) to block off the lay by. And if they'll be moved on entirely from the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭johnnydeep

so presuming it hasn't happened before. the knackers land at the same time as the rubbish. pretty conclusive. unless some devious students were storing rubbish just waiting for the knackers to arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

Are they getting moved and the layby blocked for definite? I live In the estate they ruined for 8 months and can't wait till there gone outta our sight. Maybe somewhere like north Korea would be good to send them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I read the ops title and thought it was some new craze of turning over caravans in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

There is a few members of the travelling community after parking their caravans down the road from my house.I put out my recycling bin earlier and came home to find they had put 3 bags of their rubbish piled on top of the bin. Obviously the bin company won't take them so do i a) report them somewhere or b)wait untill darkness and dump the rubbish all over the front step of their "houses"?

I personally think you should report it to the guards this way the call will be logged and traveller related will be logged and hopefully turn into a statistic to beat them with. if you dont report it then they wont know of any problem, I would also contact your local counsillor, these incidents have to be reported. and like the other poster said lock your bin.

I was in Tesco Ballybeg Petrol Station and i was walking into the Kiosk and 2 Traveller kids run out with arms full of pringles I asked the girl if she was okay and she was like dont worry they are always here i told them they were barred and they said are we okay and pulled all the goods down off the shelf and took some with them, I asked if she would report them and she said no point.

They get away with far too much. Im alarmed at learning how much they get away with and what they get upto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Never heard of travellers putting their rubbish in bags

fozz10 wrote: »
    Are they getting moved and the layby blocked for definite? I live In the estate they ruined for 8 months and can't wait till there gone outta our sight. Maybe somewhere like north Korea would be good to send them

Thats what i was told.Time will tell if it happens.I know people saying put a lock on the bin but as i said earlier the bin was closed and the bag were piled on top so a lock wouldn't have made a difference

• Advertisement

I personally think you should report it to the guards this way the call will be logged and traveller related will be logged and hopefully turn into a statistic to beat them with.

It has been reported,I was told to ring litter warden to remove the rubbish in the morning.So ill see how that goes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Tails142 wrote: »
    Never heard of travellers putting their rubbish in bags

must be posh travellers with their plastic bags an all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The last time the caravans were moved from the entrance to the estate that was never built, on the top of the Rockshire Rd. the KK council had a guy taking photos of the rubbish that was left behind.

The bags were rearranged 10 times in the days leading to the departure so it was obvious where the rubbish was going to be left.

Next time they were moved there were 3 bags dumped between the new Newrath roundabout and the roundabout at the red bridge one Sunday morning. By Monday evening the same council guy was out taking photos, the bags were removed later that evening. So something is being done, just very little. It could be worth ringing KK area office in Ferrybank (if that's the area you had the issue.)

OP, I think the issue you may have is that they dumped on your property as opposed to council property .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Call the Guards. I know no one likes to do it but a stand has to be taken against these people and if people report illegal activity and are willing to make a statement then the Guards have to take action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭johnnydeep

KevIRL wrote: »
    Call the Guards. I know no one likes to do it but a stand has to be taken against these people and if people report illegal activity and are willing to make a statement then the Guards have to take action.
    do you really believe this

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

johnnydeep wrote: »
    do you really believe this

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I read the ops title and thought it was some new craze of turning over caravans in the middle of the night.

Amazing how minds think. I thought it was some kind of gratuity.
    They come and take your scrap and you give them a couple of quid as a tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

It's part of their ''culture'', don't you know.

KevIRL wrote: »

I don't believe it technically comes under the remit of the Gardai though, its an environmental issue so it would be under the remit of the the council litter warden and perhaps depending on what is being dumped the EPA.

• Advertisement

I don't believe it technically comes under the remit of the Gardai though, its an environmental issue so it would be under the remit of the the council litter warden and perhaps depending on what is being dumped the EPA.

The litter warden has said they will come over later and remove the rubbish so at least i won't have to deal with it then.Seen them emptying their dog boxes in someones garden today.Sooner they are gone the better

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement