Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinker Tipping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Mooley22 wrote: »
    The litter warden has said they will come over later and remove the rubbish so at least i won't have to deal with it then.Seen them emptying their dog boxes in someones garden today.Sooner they are gone the better

What ever about Cabaal's earlier point re dumping not under the Garda remit (I'm not sure one way or the other to be honest), this is trespass and certainly under Garda remit if reported

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I pretty sure travellers are allowed to dump their rubbish anywhere they like, do what ever they want and intimidate people/areas as they please, sure its part of their culture and not to let them do it would be discrimination or at least the gardai seem to think its ok for them to do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Max Powers wrote: »
    I pretty sure travellers are allowed to dump their rubbish anywhere they like, do what ever they want and intimidate people/areas as they please, sure its part of their culture and not to let them do it would be discrimination or at least the gardai seem to think its ok for them to do it anyway.

The Guards dont really care to be honest, they dont want to get involved and if they can avoid them they will. Maybe its time the general public went to the european courts about the impact of their behaviour in general on local life, said it before and ill say it again get your mobile phones out and record their activiteis and put it up on youtube and title it travellers in Wateford a way of life and shame the council into doing something. its kinda out of sight out of mind thing i think,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The litter warden has said they will come over later and remove the rubbish so at least i won't have to deal with it then.Seen them emptying their dog boxes in someones garden today.Sooner they are gone the better

Thats great, at least your not out of pocket for the disposal of the rubbish, hopefully there's some evidence of who dumped the rubbish in the bags.

Was it the guy in the new offices beside the library that helped you?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Thats great, at least your not out of pocket for the disposal of the rubbish, hopefully there's some evidence of who dumped the rubbish in the bags.

Was it the guy in the new offices beside the library that helped you?

No i had to ring the kilkenny council because we are just outside the Waterford boundary,they did say they aren't sure when they can get down to collect it though so im hoping its not going to end up being there for weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

would you put rubbish in the boot of your 131 kk audi to bring somewhere for disposal? no not me either i'd definitely look for the nearest wheely bin and leave it there...job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Regardless of what anyone may have seen you are taking the wrong approach here.

What you should do is to make sure that you leave out an empty bin so that these unfortunate and underprivileged individuals don’t have to pile their rubbish on top of your bin. You could also leave out some sandwiches and a couple of unopened bottles of vodka. Even if you were to see it with your own eyes you are not allowed to say that members of the travelling community piled rubbish on top of your bin and under no circumstances should you refer to them as ‘tinkers’.

Forget about reporting the incident because you could be in trouble for being unkind to a minority and besides the litter warden will tell you that you are ultimately responsible for rubbish that other people may have dumped on your patch. As for waiting for darkness and dumping the rubbish all over the front step of their "houses" – you will be sent on a FAS course or sent out to clean up graffiti if you are caught.

Back in the dark days before Ireland became ‘enlightened’ there was a farmer living on an approach road to a large town and he had similar trouble to what you have described. One morning he drove his tractor down the road with his slurry pump turned on. His problem disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Of course I'd encourage anyone to report to the gardai, where appropriate, but unfortunately the gardai want nothing to do with these types of travellers and I can tell you that from personal experience after what went on when they used their caravans and vehicles to block the entrance into Abbeylands Business Park.

So no sign of the litter warden today so i rang them back.I was told it would be 4 or 5 days before they could come down so i've had to clean it up and get rid of it anyway.The bags were ripped and rubbish was ending up all over the place,As much as i want to leave it there out or principle i don't want rubbish and smell around my house.

You can see now why they get away with it and people don't report it.I either wait with rubbish outside the house for nearly a week and the litter warden might be able to fine them or get rid of it myself and nothing is said to them.I was told first by the warden they don,t remove rubbish off private property it has to be on the road or path.So i told them i moved it onto the path for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Littering is a civil offence, unfortunately it's not a Garda matter. Only the litter warden can do something about it. But each incident should be reported, be it 10 bags or a single nappy.

As for the trespassing, was the bin outside your house/wall or inside? ie: when you leave it out for the truck to collect was it on the footpath? That's public property so no trespassing there.

And for the Gardai to move travellers on, for a public place they need a removal order (i think that's what it's called) from the local council area, or a statement of complaint from the owner if private. And the order has to specify a max amount of time they have to move. Crazy, i know, but thats the law when it comes to travellers...

• Advertisement

As for the trespassing, was the bin outside your house/wall or inside? ie: when you leave it out for the truck to collect was it on the footpath? That's public property so no trespassing there.

It was just in off the footpath but i never mentioned trespassing on my property.They were emptying their dog crates in one of the neighbours garden so it would be up to them to complain about the trespassing.A camera was put up facing the caravans along with a sign down the road about illegal dumping
    and CCTV monitoring the area so hopefully they won't like being filmed 24/7 and head off

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

I was wondering what the attraction in Ferrybank was, I heard today that one of the Children is going to the girls school in Ferrybank so unfortunately they won't be moving far when they do leave the Rockshire Road.

Funfair wrote: »
    I was wondering what the attraction in Ferrybank was, I heard today that one of the Children is going to the girls school in Ferrybank so unfortunately they won't be moving far when they do leave the Rockshire Road.

Another one of their kids is in the creche in belfield so im sure they wont go far unfortunately.But i dont see them staying where their is cameras on them either so im sure they will go from here soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

An other guy told me today that somebody passes the caravans at 5:30am every morning and blows the horn for about 10 seconds obviously to wake them up but he said he's also waking him and half the neighbours :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

solas111 wrote: »
    Regardless of what anyone may have seen you are taking the wrong approach here.

What you should do is to make sure that you leave out an empty bin so that these unfortunate and underprivileged individuals don’t have to pile their rubbish on top of your bin. You could also leave out some sandwiches and a couple of unopened bottles of vodka. Even if you were to see it with your own eyes you are not allowed to say that members of the travelling community piled rubbish on top of your bin and under no circumstances should you refer to them as ‘tinkers’.

Forget about reporting the incident because you could be in trouble for being unkind to a minority and besides the litter warden will tell you that you are ultimately responsible for rubbish that other people may have dumped on your patch. As for waiting for darkness and dumping the rubbish all over the front step of their "houses" – you will be sent on a FAS course or sent out to clean up graffiti if you are caught.

Back in the dark days before Ireland became ‘enlightened’ there was a farmer living on an approach road to a large town and he had similar trouble to what you have described. One morning he drove his tractor down the road with his slurry pump turned on. His problem disappeared.

+1 on the slurry pump solution, we had an issue with them near where I live years ago, after a week or so the locals were so sick of their shìte and carry one that 4 or 5 angry local farmers blocked in where they had "located" with rather large boulders and turned their slurry pumps on them. The next morning the farmers removed the boulders and by noon they were gone, haven't seen one of their type in the village since. :D

Funfair wrote: »
    An other guy told me today that somebody passes the caravans at 5:30am every morning and blows the horn for about 10 seconds obviously to wake them up but he said he's also waking him and half the neighbours :P

I hope they dont wait for him one morning if hes doing it every morning at 5.30am and throw a brick through his window!

I would advise everybody to report any anti social behaviour and if youve got a mobile phone with a kamera then record their behaviour and put it on youtube or pass the footage on to the guards.

I hope they dont wait for him one morning if hes doing it every morning at 5.30am and throw a brick through his window!

I would advise everybody to report any anti social behaviour and if youve got a mobile phone with a kamera then record their behaviour and put it on youtube or pass the footage on to the guards.

Point a camera / phone at one of those boys while in full flow and prepare to lose the phone and maybe a few teeth (at best), not a good idea to take that course of action.

Deank wrote: »
    Point a camera / phone at one of those boys while in full flow and prepare to lose the phone and maybe a few teeth (at best), not a good idea to take that course of action.

I agree, I meant from behind a curtain! or somewhere where they cant see you!

I agree, I meant from behind a curtain! or somewhere where they cant see you!

A lead curtin in a nuclear bunker then maybe you'd get away with it.

There is a camera gone up on the pole literally beside their caravan so if they do decide to do anything anti-social they will be seen straight away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

There is a camera gone up on the pole literally beside their caravan so if they do decide to do anything anti-social they will be seen straight away
    And then what will happen? NOTHING.

Im presuming if they smash the window of a car driving past and are caught on camera something would have to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

It truly wrecks my buzz that if any of the good folks using this forum decided to dump their rubbish outside someone's house we'd be in a world of hassle pretty quickly. Yet the scum who did this to the OP get to strut around and repeat offend with total impunity.

Its one thing if they dumped it and left but to have the cheek to still stay there and watch you clean up their **** is the more annoying thing.They will get whats coming to them eventually.Last time they were up the road their windows were smashed in and they left.Pity whoever did it that time wouldn't do it again

Its one thing if they dumped it and left but to have the cheek to still stay there and watch you clean up their **** is the more annoying thing.They will get whats coming to them eventually.Last time they were up the road their windows were smashed in and they left.Pity whoever did it that time wouldn't do it again

Farmers with slurry pumps, lots of them, sorted

Farmers with slurry pumps, lots of them, sorted

I think its time for the people to come out and say what they REALLY think about travellers instead of saying it under a veil or anonimity, (thats not a criticism of you) I just mean whenever it comes to the media and the public comments people dont say all the things theyve been saying on here.

People need to come together support and back each other up and say enough is enough we've had enough of travellers and "Their Ways"

The activities of travellers arent monitored on a regular basis and people dont want to speak out for the fear of retaliation so maybe people should get together when theyve had enough and do something, Travellers use their power in numbers and intimidate people one by one and eveybody is afraid to do anything, if an estate is being terrorised the people should say okay lets all get together have a meeting and then go and tell them to move on, something like that anyway, I think the behaviour is being tolerated too much and people need to take the power back and not be walked all over.
    its all sounds great in theory i know, but having regular dealings with travellers i do see the worst of them all the time unfortunately!

I think its time for the people to come out and say what they REALLY think about travellers instead of saying it under a veil or anonimity, (thats not a criticism of you) I just mean whenever it comes to the media and the public comments people dont say all the things theyve been saying on here.

People need to come together support and back each other up and say enough is enough we've had enough of travellers and "Their Ways"

The activities of travellers arent monitored on a regular basis and people dont want to speak out for the fear of retaliation so maybe people should get together when theyve had enough and do something, Travellers use their power in numbers and intimidate people one by one and eveybody is afraid to do anything, if an estate is being terrorised the people should say okay lets all get together have a meeting and then go and tell them to move on, something like that anyway, I think the behaviour is being tolerated too much and people need to take the power back and not be walked all over.
    its all sounds great in theory i know, but having regular dealings with travellers i do see the worst of them all the time unfortunately!

The reasons highlighted above pretty much sums up why people will not stand up to them, they are a law onto themselves and are merciless when it comes to revenge, we've all heard the stories. Until such time as the Guards start being more decisive and ruthless in their dealings with them they will continue to walk all over the general populous.

The reasons highlighted above pretty much sums up why people will not stand up to them, they are a law onto themselves and are merciless when it comes to revenge, we've all heard the stories. Until such time as the Guards start being more decisive and ruthless in their dealings with them they will continue to walk all over the general populous.

I agree wtih you totally but this will just keep going round and round, they have their pavy point group and civilians need their group to respond to Travellers anti social behaviour!

I agree wtih you totally but this will just keep going round and round, they have their pavy point group and civilians need their group to respond to Travellers anti social behaviour!

Bleeding heart idiots, let's call a spade a spade now, they're nothing but a drain on society and once you say anything against the or stand up to them you are either prejudice or beaten to a pulp, I'd like to elaborate as to a solution but for fear of a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

You can do stuff to people and not be seen/caught. You just have to be clever about it that's all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement