Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a dog.

• 24-04-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Sister and her hubbie-to-be have finally moved into their new home and are looking to satisfy a life long dream of having their own dog. Actually they wish to get two dogs.
    They are lucky and have an acre site in middle of a town, its well fenced off and borders a river ,and they would be looking for active dogs, medium sized dogs. Unfortunately as the house borders derelict sites on each side they want a dog that can fullfill a guardian role when they are not at home. Winos & Addicts in the derelict sites sometimes.
    They are going to get a rescue dog, not fussed what type as long as its friendly and fun and a German Shepard.
    There is a dog re-homing place in Collon, Louth where we have gotten one of our current dogs, and they will get the rescue a dog from there. As for the German Shepard, they have both owned a large dogs before. Collie & Labs
    Questions:
    Where to get a German Shepard(breeder), they want a straight backed healthy pup, wary of taking an adult dog as they are so large and may not trust a full grown dog. I am wary of done deal and the temperament of a GS.
    Will they be able to handle this dog, my sister works from home 2 days a week so dogs will be alone own Monday- Wednesday, outside with the run of the place.
    Will they be able to train the GS to guard the house but be a family pet as well
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry but your post is confusing. One min you say they want a rescue then you say they want a breeder so which is it?

There is no need to train your dog to guard your property. Most will do it naturally once they reach a mature age so there is no need to train them to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

We're not allowed to discuss specific rescues on here, but please tell them to go elsewhere for their rescue dog. If they want to buy a GSD pup, they may be able to get one from the place you mention though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Regardless if where the get one, pet insurance is a must, in my opinion for all dogs, but especially for GSD's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but your post is confusing. One min you say they want a rescue then you say they want a breeder so which is it?

There is no need to train your dog to guard your property. Most will do it naturally once they reach a mature age so there is no need to train them to do this.

I think the OP is saying they want to get two dogs.
    One from a rescue and a GSD from a breeder.

I agree most dogs guard what they consider to be their property/land.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

I have a rescue GSD who was about 3 yrs old when I got her.I have kids one of which was only 3 yrs old at the time and I have never had any problems with her.She has a great temperament with other dogs and people and is very well behaved.I couldn't have got a better dog.I also know other people who have rehomed adult GSD's and they are also lovely dogs.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I think if they are going to be outside, alone three days a week, then I think they're probably going to annoy the neighbours with boredom barking. Also a good chance of them being stolen if they are visible. Make sure both get microchipped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Alone 3 days a week? For the full day? There is no way anyone should GF a dog if they are to be left alone for that long.

Advertisement