Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair Attitiude from Security Guard.

Options
  • 24-04-2013 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

I paid for my shopping in Tesco today and headed for the door, the alarm sounded so naturally I stopped and turned to the security desk. At the exact moment I was walking through the alarm gate (whatever they are called) a woman with a bag walked in. But she kept walking.

The security guard came over and asked me to produce my shopping and receipt. I did both, but it took a minute as I had to bend under my buggy to get out a lot of it and I am over 6 months pregnant. All the time the guard tapping his foot for the inconvenience. Everything was in order and he made a comment about the alarm going off.

I asked why had he not stopped the other woman as she may have had something in her bag coming into the premises that may have accidentally set off the machines. He made a comment about her not being his problem and told me to collect my shopping up and leave and was annoyed it was taking me a minute to repack!

Now I am not for one minute arguing about my shopping being checked, I understand Tesco and every other store have to prevent revenue loss and though it inconvenienced me, I had nothing to hide so I had no problem with the request itself, though it was embarrassing in front of other people. But the man's attitude and his lack of courtesy after I proved I was not after stealing anything coupled with him only stopping just me and not the two people going through the doors really píssed me off!

I am fit to send a email/letter to Tesco Ireland regarding the matter, which is better?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just contact Tesco and explain what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Go with a letter, more personal. Write to the store manager and if you've no luck write to their head office. You actually have the right to refuse the security guard your receipt unless he decides to make a store arrest, in which case it would be wrongful and they'd could be looking at a lawsuit. You produced yours willingly so this is not the case but your right to be upset about the attitude of the security guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Sounds like a guy who wanted to prove a point to himself, more than anything. I'd write a letter, expressing how embarrassing it was for you, and stating that you would be reluctant to shop there again. Go with the letter, as was said above, it's more personal and "means business."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

id send a registered letter both to the store manager and head office to make them aware of the issue that way if you are not happy with what the store manager comes up with head office will have a copy of the letter and have to sort out the issue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

In future, just ignore the alarm and keep walking. Security Guards wont want to make the first move and go after you unless they have absolute proof you have stolen something. If they do go after you and make a store arrest or bring you back into the store, which can also be viewed as a store arrest, AND if you havent actually taking anything then you can sue them and get quite a nice sum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Sounds to me like you are making a big issue out of nothing.

The alarm went off; you produced your receipt and the security guard said "Fine-off you go".

Whether he stopped or searched anyone else is none of your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Valetta wrote: »

The alarm went off; you produced your receipt and the security guard said "Fine-off you go".

This is pretty much it. The alarm went off, you were checked and cleared. He can only check one at a time, and the other person wasn't leaving the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

I suggest you write a letter of complaint to Tesco.
    Explain the details of the incident, time and date. Explain u understand the need for security etc, had no problem having bags searched, but it was the way it was handled that you found rude and embarrassing.
    Shops have been sued for substantial amounts for this kind of thing - treating customers who set of the alarm like they have done something wrong. The security guard may not realise this but trust me, Tesco will realise that this situation could leave them exposed and they are likely to be very apologetic. I'm not saying of course you should sue them, just send a constructive letter of complaint and I would anticipate some serious grovelling on their part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

The only thing you've specifically mentioned him doing is tapping his foot.
    The fact that he didn't stop the other people isn't really relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

UncleChael wrote: »
    In future, just ignore the alarm and keep walking. Security Guards wont want to make the first move and go after you unless they have absolute proof you have stolen something. If they do go after you and make a store arrest or bring you back into the store, which can also be viewed as a store arrest, AND if you havent actually taking anything then you can sue them and get quite a nice sum.

We really don't condone action like this here on Boards.

OP - I'm glad there was nothing behind this issue. If you feel that the security guard customer service was not up to scratch, then you should write a letter to the Store Manager as well as to Head Office in Dun Laoghaire. Describe the situation accurately and without too much emotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Valetta wrote: »

mitosis wrote: »
    This is pretty much it. The alarm went off, you were checked and cleared. He can only check one at a time, and the other person wasn't leaving the store.

I have to agree.

Can security not even ask to see a receipt without people threatening lawsuits nowadays?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

OP, I can empathise with the feelings. I recently set off the alarms leaving Tesco Naas during a busy period. It felt like the world was spectating and it's not a comfortable feeling drawing all that attention. In my case I had neglected to get an electrical item de-tagged. I stopped and was approached by a shop-assistant (sorry, old-fashioned term, but I am old) who had been in the DIY checkout area. She simply took the battery-charger from me and de-tagged it. Off I doddered feeling like an eejit but unable to locate one, boom-boom tschh.

Write the letter as suggested and hopefully it'll get a better reception than the one I wrote last year about customer service (complete lack of) in Tescos Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

mathepac wrote: »
    OP, I can empathise with the feelings. I recently set off the alarms leaving Tesco Naas during a busy period. It felt like the world was spectating and it's not a comfortable feeling drawing all that attention. In my case I had neglected to get an electrical item de-tagged. I stopped and was approached by a shop-assistant (sorry, old-fashioned term, but I am old) who had been in the DIY checkout area. She simply took the battery-charger from me and de-tagged it. Off I doddered feeling like an eejit but unable to locate one, boom-boom tschh.

Write the letter as suggested and hopefully it'll get a better reception than the one I wrote last year about customer service (complete lack of) in Tescos Thurles.

In fairness, it's not up to you to de-tag an item, it was their fault and they should have apologised for delaying you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Svalbard wrote: »
    I suggest you write a letter of complaint to Tesco.
    Explain the details of the incident, time and date. Explain u understand the need for security etc, had no problem having bags searched, but it was the way it was handled that you found rude and embarrassing.

Embarrassed by what? The OP voluntarily stopped and produced their receipt when requested. The only issue they had was the security guard tapping their foot, who's to say the guard hasn't got a nervous tick, which only the OP may have noticed.
    Shops have been sued for substantial amounts for this kind of thing - treating customers who set of the alarm like they have done something wrong. The security guard may not realise this but trust me, Tesco will realise that this situation could leave them exposed and they are likely to be very apologetic. I'm not saying of course you should sue them, just send a constructive letter of complaint and I would anticipate some serious grovelling on their part.

What have Tesco done wrong? The OP walked past an alarm, it went off, they stopped and where approached by the security guard who asked for their receipt, verified the OP had stolen nothing and let them go.

The only other issue the OP had was that a person walking into the shop wasn't stopped. The Tesco store guard, and Tesco, would have got in a lot more trouble for stopping someone entering their store and claiming they'd stolen something from Tesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

noodler wrote: »
    I have to agree.

Can security not even ask to see a receipt without people threatening lawsuits nowadays?

Did I ever mention a lawsuit? I don't believe in the lawsuit culture!
    Del2005 wrote: »
    What have Tesco done wrong? The OP walked past an alarm, it went off, they stopped and where approached by the security guard who asked for their receipt, verified the OP had stolen nothing and let them go.

The only other issue the OP had was that a person walking into the shop wasn't stopped. The Tesco store guard, and Tesco, would have got in a lot more trouble for stopping someone entering their store and claiming they'd stolen something from Tesco!

They chose to pick on the pregnant mother and leave the older lady alone, two people went through, two people should have been checked. His rudeness and attitude was part of the problem. When you do nothing wrong, I would imagine the very least you would be entitled to is a "thank you for co-operating, sorry for the inconvenience. Not spread my shopping over the floor and then make comments about "pick it up and get it out of the way" in a rude tone and then huffing and tapping your foot because being pregnant means taking a extra little minute.

I sent a letter, I got a phonecall back from my local Tesco, the manager was nothing short of lovely, when he saw me he recognised me immediately as my son would talk to the wall given half a chance do the staff there have great time for him. He apologised, and stated the security fella was only covering another guys holidays and that he will be reprimanded as he broke store protocol by not calling for the store manager/assistant manager on at the time and taking the person to a safe area to check as opposed to a doorway where their shopping could be damaged or others tripping over them. And agreed to pick on one as opposed to stopping both people was wrong. Apparently I will get a formal apology from Tesco Ireland too! That to me is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Well at least the manager has a bit of common sense. Decent response.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

The security alarm at Tesco went off through no fault of the OP. this then resulted in her being questioned by security in full view of the store and clearly the OP was not happy about the experience. Lets remember the OP did nothing wrong, the alarm went going off in error is Tesco's responsibility. They are also responsible for how their security staff handle such situations - extreme tact is required so innocent customers are not offended.

About 12 years ago I worked in a well known retail store. A store in the chain was sued by a customer for embarrassment caused by a tag being left on an item. So seriously was this taken that the company introduced a new policy- any employee failing to remove a security tag would get a final written warning of termination. Also in more recent years a company was sued for a large amount over a similar incident - the stopping and searching if the customer was deemed to have 'damaged the reputation' of the complainant.

So it is kind of a big deal.
    Embarrassed by what? The OP voluntarily stopped and produced their receipt when requested. The only issue they had was the security guard tapping their foot, who's to say the guard hasn't got a nervous tick, which only the OP may have noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

wolfpawnat wrote: »

They chose to pick on the pregnant mother and leave the older lady alone, two people went through, two people should have been checked.

They can't check the person entering the shop as that would be against the law, they haven't had a chance to steal anything from the shop yet.
    His rudeness and attitude was part of the problem. When you do nothing wrong, I would imagine the very least you would be entitled to is a "thank you for co-operating, sorry for the inconvenience. Not spread my shopping over the floor and then make comments about "pick it up and get it out of the way" in a rude tone and then huffing and tapping your foot because being pregnant means taking a extra little minute.

None of this in the OP, are we supposed to be physic?
    I sent a letter, I got a phonecall back from my local Tesco, the manager was nothing short of lovely, when he saw me he recognised me immediately as my son would talk to the wall given half a chance do the staff there have great time for him. He apologised, and stated the security fella was only covering another guys holidays and that he will be reprimanded as he broke store protocol by not calling for the store manager/assistant manager on at the time and taking the person to a safe area to check as opposed to a doorway where their shopping could be damaged or others tripping over them. And agreed to pick on one as opposed to stopping both people was wrong. Apparently I will get a formal apology from Tesco Ireland too! That to me is enough.

The customer is always right:D and it's easy for a manager to blame the staff, especially a "temp"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I can see why you are upset, no one like being searched,
    but I cant see the problem and I cant see why being pregnant has any bearing on the situation either. Security have to be fairly abrupt as most of the time they are dealing with someone stealing.

Im glad you got an apology all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

They can't check the person entering the shop as that would be against the law, they haven't had a chance to steal anything from the shop yet.

I remember setting off an alarm before entering a store in my teens, when the security guy approached and say I had a bag from a gaming store, he made a comment about that store never swiping their tags properly and having customers from there going into their store setting off the machines and suggested I remove the tag (it was a sticker type one) if I didn't want to be annoyed in every store I went into.

None of this in the OP, are we supposed to be physic?

Physics has very little to do with this ;) No, I mentioned his impatient behaviours. Not in full I was still so peed off after it all.

The customer is always right:D and it's easy for a manager to blame the staff, especially a "temp"

Customers are not always right, but protocol was broken, even according to others on here and the manager knew it and he was not a member of regular staff.
    brokenarms wrote: »
    but I cant see the problem and I cant see why being pregnant has any bearing on the situation either. Security have to be fairly abrupt as most of the time they are dealing with someone stealing.

Im glad you got an apology all the same.
    Being big with a pregnant belly means you can't just bend over, you have to nearly kneel and it can take a second or two to get up or down safely, he could see I was pregnant and was behaving like my slight delays were simply to annoy him as opposed to beyond my control.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

just run next time

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

brokenarms wrote: »
    Security have to be fairly abrupt as most of the time they are dealing with someone stealing.

Actually No, most of the time they are dealing with people asking them questions like where is the toilet. So being respectful in dealing with the public is a major part of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

The security alarm at Tesco went off through no fault of the OP. this then resulted in her being questioned by security in full view of the store and clearly the OP was not happy about the experience. Lets remember the OP did nothing wrong, the alarm went going off in error is Tesco's responsibility. They are also responsible for how their security staff handle such situations - extreme tact is required so innocent customers are not offended.

About 12 years ago I worked in a well known retail store. A store in the chain was sued by a customer for embarrassment caused by a tag being left on an item. So seriously was this taken that the company introduced a new policy- any employee failing to remove a security tag would get a final written warning of termination. Also in more recent years a company was sued for a large amount over a similar incident - the stopping and searching if the customer was deemed to have 'damaged the reputation' of the complainant.

So it is kind of a big deal.

My only experience of this sort of thing was also in Tesco, but in my case all the security guard asked for was to see the receipt, he didn't even look at my purchases, and my impression was he just took down the name of the person who was at the till. Which fits with the scenario described above. I stopped when the alarm went off (there was no one else at the same time) Security guard asked to see receipt, only looked at the top of it and sent me on my way.

Advertisement