Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent help needed on buying Xbox 360

Options
  • 24-04-2013 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi. Can someone please clear something up for me. Tomorrow i am buying a new Xbox slim. What is this Kinect? I was told today that i need Kinect to play games online and watch movies, download games, use netflix etc. I always thought that Kinect was just the motion sensor thingy, kinda like the Wii. I have absolutely no interest in that. Is it true that i need kinect to play online and watch and download movies and games??????? Please help!:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

You don't need a Kinect, aside from a few Kinect only games.

You're on the money with the Kinect, it's a motion sensor yoke so it's up to you if want it or not.

To play games online or to use Netflix you will need an Xbox Live Gold subscription. RRP is 60 quid for a year but if you have a look around you'll generally get one for between 30 and 40. There's a thread here somewhere with links to cheap codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

Orim wrote: »
    You don't need a Kinect, aside from a few Kinect only games.

You're on the money with the Kinect, it's a motion sensor yoke so it's up to you if want it or not.

To play games online or to use Netflix you will need an Xbox Live Gold subscription. RRP is 60 quid for a year but if you have a look around you'll generally get one for between 30 and 40. There's a thread here somewhere with links to cheap codes.
    Thanks a million for that

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Do you mind me asking where you are buying it? Looking to buy one for my son. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

fall wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where you are buying it? Looking to buy one for my son. Thanks

Would you not hold out a few months?

Hopefully the new Xbox will be out in time just for Santy... not much point in buying one now, but that may be just me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Yeah, you're mad to buy the 360 now. The new one is only a few months away. Keep saving!!!

• Advertisement

Few months to us, life time for him. He has nearly saved all the money himself. He is too young to go online so there will probably be something even newer by the time he is a teenager. Maybe I am wrong. I haven't a clue about gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Few months to us, life time for him. He has nearly saved all the money himself. He is too young to go online so there will probably be something even newer by the time he is a teenager. Maybe I am wrong. I haven't a clue about gaming.

I don't get this? There will be another generation of consoles in maybe 5 years but why does that mean he should buy a console that wont even be any use in a year. You can pick up a second hand xbox for €50.

How can he be too young to go online? My brothers been gaming online since he could hold the controller. He has had access to the internet since he was 3. I can't comprehend this logic of being too young.

As I said I have no clue. Will it really be no use in a year? He is only six so it is just for playing at home with his friends. When is the other one out. The library has loads of games for the 360 that he can borrow. He is mad about football and golf. I just thought it would do him for a few years.
    Where would I get one for fifty euro? Thanks for all the help.

As I said I have no clue. Will it really be no use in a year? He is only six so it is just for playing at home with his friends. When is the other one out. The library has loads of games for the 360 that he can borrow. He is mad about football and golf. I just thought it would do him for a few years.
    Where would I get one for fifty euro? Thanks for all the help.

Next one will most likely be released before Christmas. They will stop making any new games for the 360 sometime in 2014. Most online selling sites will have plenty, but I've one for sale so it might be frowned upon here for me to direct you to any particular place.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

GarIT wrote: »
    I don't get this? There will be another generation of consoles in maybe 5 years but why does that mean he should buy a console that wont even be any use in a year. You can pick up a second hand xbox for €50.

The 360 most definitely will be in use, with games still being made for it, for at the very least one more year after the next xbox is released, don't kid yourself into thinking it'll suddenly disappear.

• Advertisement

The 360 most definitely will be in use, with games still being made for it, for at the very least one more year after the next xbox is released, don't kid yourself into thinking it'll suddenly disappear.

It's not going to suddenly disappear but say games like FIFA 15, that wont be on 360 and that's only 15 months away.

I had a look on adverts and done deal. Huge variation in prices. I wouldn't know where to start. Some are selling new for around €200. Sorry for high jacking this thread.

I had a look on adverts and done deal. Huge variation in prices. I wouldn't know where to start. Some are selling new for around €200. Sorry for high jacking this thread.

3 points. 1. All Xboxes perform the same even though they look different. 2. You don't need a hard drive if it's not going to be used online. 3. The white Xboxes have overheating issues and break more often than any of the black ones.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

GarIT wrote: »
    It's not going to suddenly disappear but say games like FIFA 15, that wont be on 360 and that's only 15 months away.

Have EA mentioned this somewhere?

Thanks, thats a great help. What's a good price for a new one. Any way to know if a second hand one is in good condition?

Have EA mentioned this somewhere?

Not exactly. FIFA 15 is going to be massively redesigned for the next gen consoles. So if there is a FIFA 15 for 360 it will just be FIFA 14 with the players updated.

Thanks, thats a great help. What's a good price for a new one. Any way to know if a second hand one is in good condition?

I wouldn't have a clue to be honest. Shop around, most places have their prices online. Don't forget Tesco, their usually overlooked but can often be the cheapest.

On the white Xboxes you can check the back for signs of it being opened. If its been opened, avoid it completely. The newer ones don't break at all usually.

Thanks again. Would never have thought of there. Smiths toy shop has some deals on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

i would buy one off littlewoods ireland

250gb console + a game ( certain games picked ) and 2 free games, skyrimm and forza 4
    for 269euro

now thats a good deal

theirs also a 4gb console and fifa 13 for 210euro i think

great bargins for a very rip of site

Advertisement