Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halti harness not working

• 24-04-2013 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

My boxer is a bit of a puller, I got hima halti harness along with the double ended lead after the head collar was kiboshed due to his short nose. My arm is often sore after walking him, and I have arthritis in my shoulders. The harness doesn't seem to do anything, can anyone recommend a better harness?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    My boxer is a bit of a puller, I got hima halti harness along with the double ended lead after the head collar was kiboshed due to his short nose. My arm is often sore after walking him, and I have arthritis in my shoulders. The harness doesn't seem to do anything, can anyone recommend a better harness?

I see alot of boxers wearing the canny collar head harness. Do you have the body harness fitted correctly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Millem wrote: »
    I see alot of boxers wearing the canny collar head harness. Do you have the body harness fitted correctly?

I used to instuctions when I first got it, but my mother threw them out so it may need to adjusted again, I will try and find them, if not ill try the canny collar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's a pain buying product after product to try to find one that works. The halti harness works well for a lot of dogs, but I find it more hit and miss than other brands. It hasn't the same, finesse, I think is the word?
    It's also really important that it's fitting right, and I'm not suggesting you haven't, but I do find that the halti harness chest strap can be a little too loose.
    I know Bev from Pet Problems sells the Easy Walk harness, and might let you try before you buy? Bev is based around Ennis but covers Limerick, maybe ye could arrange to meet?
    Just a suggestion, it might save you a few quid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

http://www.halti.co.uk/stopspullingtips4.php

If you have the lead connected to the front and back rings you need up hold it so when he pulls it pulls from the front ring where he has limited power instead of the back where he'll have more power - hopefully that makes sense. You could try with it just connected to the front ring so he gets used to not having pulling power. Everyone will recommend head collars but if the dog is a strong puller or excited he could hurt himself with a head collar..

DBB wrote: »
    It's a pain buying product after product to try to find one that works. The halti harness works well for a lot of dogs, but I find it more hit and miss than other brands. It hasn't the same, finesse, I think is the word?
    It's also really important that it's fitting right, and I'm not suggesting you haven't, but I do find that the halti harness chest strap can be a little too loose.
    I know Bev from Pet Problems sells the Easy Walk harness, and might let you try before you buy? Bev is based around Ennis but covers Limerick, maybe ye could arrange to meet?
    Just a suggestion, it might save you a few quid!

The front strap does seem to come loose on every walk, and I have to try and readjust it, it's quite loose anyway but the smaller one wouldn't fit him. I might try the easy walk harness as head collars aren't great for short nosed breeds as far as I am aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Is it the harness or the head collar that you're using? I used the harness on our Beagle and found it pretty useless. The head collar had made a big difference.

ksimpson wrote: »
    Is it the harness or the head collar that you're using? I used the harness on our Beagle and found it pretty useless. The head collar had made a big difference.

It's the harness, I used the head collar before but due to him being a brachycephalic breed I also found that to be pretty useless.

tk123 wrote: »
    http://www.halti.co.uk/stopspullingtips4.php

If you have the lead connected to the front and back rings you need up hold it so when he pulls it pulls from the front ring where he has limited power instead of the back where he'll have more power - hopefully that makes sense. You could try with it just connected to the front ring so he gets used to not having pulling power. Everyone will recommend head collars but if the dog is a strong puller or excited he could hurt himself with a head collar..

I have tried it with just the front ring but felt that I had very little control over him. I read through that website, I have inplemented all those tips, it just doesn't seem to work. He does better on a slip lead than the halti harness. But I need to stop the pulling as much as possible, after a couple of walks my arthritis flares up and I can't take him out walking because it hurts too much, when it does down again he is raring to go, it's a viscous circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Sorry OP, I thought I had a front-connection harness I could give you, but just did a good rummage and can't find it!

boomerang wrote: »
    Sorry OP, I thought I had a front-connection harness I could give you, but just did a good rummage and can't find it!

Aww thank you anyway, very kind of you, I have sent an email of to bev truss to find out more about the easy walk harness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

If I find it I'll let you know asap! I'm sure it's here somewhere! It's the very same as the easy walk harness, except it doesn't have the martingale feature. I had a purple easy walk harness, but gave it to someone with an extremely strong Samoyed. :D Boo is such a funny size. I'd need a changing room in the pet shop to be sure of something fitting her. :D

Advertisement