Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Tier Cake

Options
  • 24-04-2013 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am attempting a two tier cake for a friend and need advice on the filling and what to crumb coat it with. I have previously used buttercream but i am not a lover of the taste of it and found it very greasy to use under the fondant.

So what else could i use. I am making a lemon cake and a chocolate cake so i was thinking of making a white chocolate ganache. Could i use this ganache to fill both cakes and cover the cakes ready for the fondant. Will the ganache keep for a few days.

Any advice would be welcomed. And any good recipes for a moist chocolate cake which would be solid enough for the bottom tier (i will be using dowels and cake board for 2nd tier).
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

The ganache will keep fine, chocolate mud cake is a really dense moist cake, there are numerous recipes online. The BBC good food site chocolate fudge cake is a good alternative too.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

Hi carolowlassy! White Chocolate ganache would be a good choice for a lemon cake - but because the quality of white chocolate varies so drastically, I'd make a test-batch before trying it on the cake - I've given up on white ganache for now as I've never gotton it 'just right'!
    Have you tried Swiss meringue buttercream? I started using it a few months ago and I'll never go back to plain buttercream!! It takes a little longer to prepare but it goes-on like a dream and sets really nicely! Lots of recipes online, I use one based on 5 oz egg whites (about 6 egg whites or half a box of made-up dr oetker egg white powder), 7.5 oz granulated sugar, 10 oz butter (unsalted is best but if you're flavouring with melted dark chocolate (nom), you'll get away with salted :)) and 1/4 cup of vanilla extract (oooor 2 tsp vanilla essence made up to 1/4 cup with water...) and this makes enough to fill and frost a three layer 8 inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

I have tried out a lot of white chocolate for ganache and the best I have found is the Aldi Choceur smooth white, three times chocolate to cream, ordinary cream will do does not have to be double. Heat the cream until nearly boiling, pour over the broken up choc in a bowl suitable for microwave as there is not enough cream to melt the choc fully, leave it for a few mins and give it a stir, give it 30 sec blasts then in microwave until all choc is melted, do not overheat. Let cool until it firms up, perfect white ganache!

Sometimes I vary the amount of cream to chocolate depending on how hot the weather is but definitely 3 times to cream in hot weather, can go down to two and half times or so in cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Carlowlassy

Thanks or all the advice. With the swiss buttercream can you use white choc instead of dark choc. Can it be made the day before and will it keep for a few days on the cake. Could you swap the choc for lemon zest for the lemon cake.

Advertisement