Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human food your pets crave?

• 24-04-2013 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

One of our cats has developed an obsession with mayonnaise lately. He's determined to get at it and waits for any opportunity. I was making prawn mayo the other night and chopped up a prawn for him, no interest in the prawn but as soon as I turned my back to go to the fridge he'd jumped up on the worktop and was about to tuck in to the mayo.

I've caught him licking mayo off a spoon in the sink in the past. He's not keen on milk but if we're eating cereal or yoghurt he's up on the lap almost climbing in our mouths for it.

So do your pets have any human food cravings?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Our cat loves to steal the veg i prepare for the dog, especially brocolli. She doesn't go near the meat though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

One of my cats is currently mad on Belvita Breakfast Biscuits. No idea why, but when she hears the rustling of the plastic packaging, she comes running.

My two are very nosy and if they start sniffing around something I'm eating, I normally hold a bit of whatever it is out towards them so that they can smell it. 99% of the time they realise it's not something that they want and they walk away. Stops them hassling me when I'm eating!

There's just something about those Belvitas though! I was holding one in my hand while reading one day, and felt a tug on the biscuit. Looked around and there was Lily with her teeth clamped around it, trying to bite a bit off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Dude likes to lick salt and vinegar peanuts!

Cream really likes cabbage and pumpkins, and all 3 cats go crazy for cheese!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dangerus06

i had a rabbit that loved chicken curry and spag bol ,i asked the vet and she said it was ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,455 ✭✭✭✭Victor

All of it.

Signed: Dog owners of the world.

Except cabbage.

Signed:Dogs of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

My cat loves cheese triangles licks the wrappers clean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My cat and hazelnut yoghurt, if he hears the fridge or the cutlery drawer, he is by your side like a bullet. If you sit to eat it, he jumps to the nearest surface, the couch or table and stares at you, and gently tries to paw the spoon out of your hand to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Beanie goes mental for cheese, he literally paws at your face if you're eating some and won't give him any.Same reaction with ham :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

wow guys, some of your cats have REALLY odd likes :D
    my dogs - ANY human food, but would sell their souls for cheese - or fish - in fact, would probably sell their souls for just about any human food that isnt vegetables :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

All the usual suspects, ham, philadelphia cheese etc. but one cat we had decided for a week that he liked tomatos because we ate them and would steal whole tomatoes at every opportunity he got and tried to eat them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

my cats love cheese too. My boy diesel will eat anything- any veg, loves potatos, crisps chocolate, bread, he sits under the table and gently paws my legs which gets more desperate he gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

+1 on my cat loving hazelnut yoghurts.

My cat also loves cheese and tuna but not together - I found a recipe for making a tuna and cheese birthday cake on the internet, basically just add an egg and two spoons of flour to the cheese and tuna, and he didn't want to go near it! Bloody typical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I can't eat an apple in peace. They love cherries too, I've even caught them trying to steal the pits.

Last year Tegan stripped every tomato off my plants, before they were even ripe. She didn't eat them, just pulled them off and spat them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Hee hee, dairy seem very popular. When Jazzy had a couple of teeth removed last month we needed soft things to tempt him to eat, so we got some tinned wild red salmon, he doesn't like the cheaper pink salmon:rolleyes:. They both love it, surprise surprise. Felix has always been tuna mad. We get the tuna in spring water from Tesco. It hadn't occurred to me about the nuts in muesli being what they're both after. They'd literally lick the bowl clean of any bits of left over muesli, even Felix who has no interest in dairy.

Jazzy is impossible to ignore if there's any cheese going. He does a little dance from one side of me to the other, just to make sure that I see him. My brother looks after them when we're away and whenever he comes to visit they both go and sit at the fridge to remind him that the cooked chicken pieces live in there. Felix will stretch up to the fridge handle to point out how to open it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

What I find weird is the amount of cats loving dairy and yet so many are lactose intolerant!!!

All of the food. All of it!
    Potato skins, cheese, cornflakes ... and they'll practically have seizures if there's chicken to be had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

My cat's not really a foodie but if he can get his paws on an olive pit he'll roll around the floor singing to it and rubbing against it like he's in love. Apparently they have a similar affect to nip on some cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I must try the olive pit with my guys, Cream loves to roll hazel nuts around, him and Dude will make a good football team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My boy cat LOVED Jerk Chicken, curry, rice and peas, and any kind of spicy food. Neither of the cats were too keen on dairy, although my girl loved cheese until I took to hiding her thyroid tablets in it. For the rest of her life, she wouldn't touch cheese again as she thought there were tablets in it!

My dog? Give him anything pork related. Ham, bacon, sausages, pork chops. He loves it! He's also partial to cornflakes and loves toast with butter. If the toast's dry, he spits it out and gives you a look of disgust! It's so funny to see!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Dog will adopt begging face with "poor wee me" eyes as soon as she smells anything that I am about to eat. Has a special craving (all the aforementioned but excited whining) for anything cheese related as she had a week of puppy medicine given to her crushed up in cream cheese.

Also cabbage. We have a few near misses with onions and garlic which have fallen to the floor.

I blame my father in law, he cannot be stopped from throwing bits of food to her....although I had a stern chat with him as he was about to throw her a bit of chocolate easter egg!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I know what you mean. My dog has allergies, and you have to be careful what you give him. My in-laws don't understand as 'Sure my dog ate Roses, had corned beef and cabbage and never a problem' . Um - but there is with my dog. Please don't give him anything other than toast if you really have to.

It's tough getting the message through, although I did lose the plot when I caught SiL trying to give my dog chocolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We had spaghetti Bol this evening, you would think it was the best thing ever!
    Cats love it, dogs love it, and gave the rats a piece of spaghetti each and the noise of them tearing around to all corners of the cage to scoff it! I swear Matilda sucked hers down in one go, no chewing, seen people eat slower than that.
    Dogs love fish frozen or fresh, stolen at every chance, frozen veg(I put shopping away very quick now), cooked veg, not spuds unless roasted or small bit of mashed, chorizo, curry, pretty much anything.
    Cats, fish, chicken, roast beef, carrots, one likes peas, cheese, chorizo, and spaghetti Bol.
    Rats, peas, banana chips, left over dinner (mostly veggies), dandelions, and clover flowers.
    Everyone loves butternut squash soup here too.
    Looking at that I think they eat pretty well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

All three dogs love raw carrots, don't come near me when Im chopping any other veg.

Til is also obsessed with tea, my mam is constantly leaving half cups on the floor and Til sticks her little head in. She also likes Rose wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Tillygirl, you just reminded me of a cat we had when I was a little girl, she had a thing for baileys, the only thing my mum ever drank, and only at Christmas, the cat couldn't walk after half a glass, and would appear from nowhere if there was any to be had, minding 4 excited kids playing with their new toys and trying to keep the alcoholic cat from drinking her drink was funny. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

My cat goes mental for lettuce, anytime I have some the little paw will pop out of nowhere to try and swipe it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

My two Dogs love any form of human food but they go nuts for Sliced Meat out of a packet and Pizza .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

My mums yorkie loves gin and tonic. You can not leave an unattended G&T.

Also likes beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

My first cat when I was young liked cucumber and salted crisps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Cheese ,chicken curry,spag bol, chilli con carne and from tonight discovered she loves melon.
    For a cat i thought she would be keen on chicken on its own but she isn't really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

My old cat loved maple syrup. He would lick the plates clean after we had pancakes :eek::P

My two dogs love carrots. They go crazy when they see them taken out of the bag! One of my dogs loves tea. You cannot leave a cup down as she will have her nose in it as soon as she thinks you have your back turned.

Advertisement