Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human food your pets crave?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

My cat gets real excited every night we have dinner, he cant wait until we are finished so he can have the leftovers.

He will eat anything- not just meat, spuds, salad, vegetables, rice, curry...but his favourite thing seems to be spaghetti bolognese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

we had a dog that loved coffee. She lived to be about 17 years old so we reckon it wasn't too bad for her!

Isabella (syrian hamster) loves cheese, and popcorn. And belvita biscuits too. She also likes the smell of 7up, she tries to get into the glass if shes out and there's been 7up in it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Hugo loves carrots. He'll eat one raw like an ice pop, held between his front paws. Tis gas.

But... The last 3 weeks we are feeding him raw. He goes loopy now at meal times. Brisket bone today, salmon treat in with his grub yesterday, chicken bones... Never seen him so happy! Or looking so well.

'tis all human food, albeit... Raw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Today:
    I had to tempt the dog to eat canned dogfood by feeding her apples and carrots. She has a duff heart so does suffer from nausea so nice crisp fruit and veg always stimulates her appetite. She also generally gets hand-fed each mouthful of her meals, not because we are lunatics but because she is genuinely capable of going on hunger-strike until she is satisfactorally spoiled. She's gone three days without eating if it wasn't juuust right.

Parrot had mexican rice for lunch and spaghetti bolognese for dinner. Obviously this is not a normal day (normally she has fruit and vegetable) but she she loves her carbs so much that it is hard to refuse once in a long while.

I also fed the budgie cheese because she is crazy fond of it on occasion.

Oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

My cat Jake is mad for fruit and veg.

Nectarines, scallions, lettuce, banana, kiwi, potato, he's a weirdo!! He loves drinking fruit juice too.

If I'm eating sweetcorn I have to give him a small bowl to stop him ninja jumping around me trying to get some off the plate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

My Dachshunds crave everything.
    They don't always eat it but they WANT it and will beg, whine and sit staring up with big brown eyes until they are at least offered a taste.

It doesn't even have to be food. If it's in a crackly wrapper it will bring them running from the end of the garden even if it's only a dishwasher tablet. I can't even take my own tablets when they're in the room because the sound of a tablet blister back means ham to them.

One of them has lasted over half an hour begging for a mug of tea and the other is destined to be crushed to death somewhere between the chopping board and the hob.

About the only things they won't eat are tomatoes, cucumber, onions (luckily) and white sliced pan (wouldn't trust them with garlic or chocolate).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Cedrus wrote: »
    If it's in a crackly wrapper it will bring them running from the end of the garden even if it's only a dishwasher tablet. I can't even take my own tablets when they're in the room because the sound of a tablet blister back means ham to them.

Ahh, the magic of the rustly wrapper.

It works as well on parrots as it does on dogs. Seriously, I have a bold parrot who likes to hide in weird corners. Simply by rustling a packet and loudly saying that I'd love to share the contents with anyone who's around but weirdly the parrot is missing so she gets none makes her pop out in 10 seconds at most.

To be fair I always give her a little bit so she doesn't get jaded.

Bloody bird keeps stealing the garlic anyway, just to be annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Cheese. Sausages. Yoghurts - will eat around the fruit bits .fish but NEVER prawns or shrimp. Will stalk you through the park for your Apple.Or ice cream. Also very partial to Red pepper.
    But will sit for an hour a drool a puddle in front of an oven with a roast chicken in it. Will jump onto someone's head for a fleck of liver. Or chicken hearts.
    Or a chance of a kiss from her second favourite human (haven't quite worked that one out yet).

New vice : raiding Polish neighbours black plastic bin for Duck Pâté .

(might do that myself some night too!!)

Nearly forgot about chewing gum. Will strip the street of it if given a chance. And paper lollipop sticks - but never the lollipop !

Sighs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

dangerus06 wrote: »
    i had a rabbit that loved chicken curry and spag bol ,i asked the vet and she said it was ok
    My cat goes mental for lettuce, anytime I have some the little paw will pop out of nowhere to try and swipe it!
    syklops wrote: »
    My mums yorkie loves gin and tonic. You can not leave an unattended G&T.

Also likes beer.
    B0jangles wrote: »
    Today:
    Parrot had mexican rice for lunch and spaghetti bolognese for dinner.
    I also fed the budgie cheese because she is crazy fond of it on occasion.

Oh dear.

:eek::eek::p
    What's with all the pets going against the Roolz of Biology? And the alcoholic Yorkie? lol :D
    And what's the big attraction with SpagBol? Do they all like garlic bread on the side? :p

I'd a foster dog years ago, a little black terrier. She would. Not. Eat. Refused all attempts to feed her, no matter how delicious the food was. She went for days without food.
    Finally, by accident, I discovered it. Soda bread, buttered. Had to be soda bread. Had to be buttered. Not Margarine. Butter. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I forgot sweet potato!
    All ours go nuts for it, even the cats!
    There must be something in it, Oliver will sit in front of you and go through every trick he knows, without commands, just to guilt you into giving him some.
    He also camps by the oven while its cooking, Tiffi follows his lead and watches him doing all his tricks and pulls out the big guns......sits up and puts the paws together like she's praying and whines in a way that sounds like pweeeeeeeese!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

we got a rescue late last year and god love him - he can smell human chocolate from a mile away. We don't eat much - (well DH has the sweet tooth) but when he does - Terry will go through hell and high water to stick his tongue into DH's mouth - we have tried getting him out of this habit and have unfortunately resorted to dog chocolate when DH is eating cadburys.

We have a ten year old greyhound - I cannot open a tin of fish in the kitchen - she comes mooching up to me, tuna sandwiches never happen anymore! thanks to her, she loves mash potato any any pork products too. oh and one time I set porridge down for DH and went about my business - he sat down and there was a snout mark in the bowl where she had come and helped herself to it, not to mention the time i put a fry down for him and when he sat down he was moaning there was only one egg on it! she took the other one and probably hoped we would not notice,

Yesterday for my tea i made myself one of those new Nescafe azera capppucino and opened a Danone plain greek yoghurt, sat down, and instantly - 2 dogs appeared on the arms of the chair: seemingly DH lets the dogs lick the lid of lfe! and lets them lick his yoghurt lid! Its hard to eat with one dog sticking his tongue in the tub and the other licking the froth off my coffee! so needless to say - said food never made it to me!

We used to have an old dog who loved plain madeira cake,

DH lets the two smaller dogs finish his tea and of an evening when he sits down with a cuppa and a handfull of rich tea, only problem is - the smallest sits on his chest til he gives in and he has all three dogs addicted to mcvities wholegrain biscuits and now thank god - to Lidl Rich tea (28p a pack :P as oppose to 1.79 for the wholegrain)!

we keep hens, and the two smaller dogs love raw eggs, and we currently have a broody hen sitting on a dozen eggs, and i was keeping an eye on her last weekend - first timer you know - anyway - sitting out i nthe sun, drinking my coffee - when i noticed Terry mooching around the hen house, the hen left her eggs to get food and quick as a flash he nipped in and helped himself to one of her eggs, a first time and the last time! but he cannot break the eggs - just not that smart yet, so he can walk around with an egg for ages -

they do keep me amused - and for the life of me I cannot understand how on earth anyone could give chocolate to a dog so much that it affects his fur and skin! I cannot get him out of the habit and am not keen on using the dog chocolate to feed the habit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

oh alcohol - reminds we how we found out that the greyhound loves tequilla! :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

They certainly love some strange foods don't they!

My collie cannot resist the rustle of a crisp packet, and my childhood dog, I swear could read my mind about crisps, as soon as I headed to the press there she was behind me:D

Tara on the other hand will beg for anything, you could have just put the yummiest dinner in her bowl, but if you head to the kitchen she's right behind you just incase. She has a serious sweet tooth and in the 6mths we've had her she has demolished 2 advent calendars, half eaten chocolate bars, cereal left over and that's just the sweet stuff. She even gets them out of the bin to lick the wrappers. thankfully she's never got sick - but she has the nose of a bloodhound for chocolate.

She loves to sit right next to my son when he's eating as he always drops food, but god help him if he leaves his food unattended as it will disapear - cue lots of tears bless him.
    You'd swear we starved the poor dogs:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭greengold9999

My lab who loves everything (including cabbage) was sniffing around when I was chopping some raw celery - was sure she would turn her nose up at that and gave her a stick - she relished every bit as if it was cheese! The other who is less food focused gets very attentive when I am having a soya yogurt and she also loves green tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Our guy goes nuts for peanut butter. He will be in his crate in the other room and once he hears the jar lid he will be all over me like white on rice. He can tell the difference too between me opening the jar of peanut butter and say a jar of jam. The jam jar gets no reaction at all.

He is hilarious to watch eating it as well as it gets stuck on his tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

OH had a family cat that used to swipe salt and vinegar crisps from my hand as I was about to eat them, he got them about 80% of the time. Outsmarted by a cat :(

Our pup, of course, wants anything that goes on a plate but especially cheese, fish and for some reason spicy things. One day she got a bit of mexican chicken that fell when I was cooking and spent the next 10 minutes sneezing and running her head along the ground, I would have imagined she learned her lesson but sadly, no. She goes crazy for peanut butter too which fortunately we can give her in her Kong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Our cat goes nuts for cheese - the more gourmet and artisan the better! He has ridiculously expensive taste! For example you can't convince him to try cheap store brand cheddar but if its the good stuff he goes crazy for it!

Also any type of artisan soft cheese. However, he won't touch processed cheeses.

Obviously meaty things too eg pâté. Again, he's a snob and only likes the really good stuff from the organic, free range pork etc etc

Clearly he has a fairly refined pallet and a taste for quality !

The only other odd one is pasta (raw) where it's fallen on the floor while cooking. He seems to like it! Not that I'd feed him dry pasta intentionally.

All his other habits are fairly cat like such as a healthy obsession with any form of chicken.

The dog on the other hand would eat ANYTHING! She has attempted to eat a wooden spoon for example and actually ate half a Gaelic football !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

My former iguana used to stand on his hind legs and bite at the air if he smelt our occasional Chinese takeaways

He also used to like chocolate, not that he ever got it though

He got a sausage once, he was on the patio table, my father was eating a sausage without a fork, not looking at Harvey, he ended up with nip marks from Harvey snatching it from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Our two cats can detect the opening of a packet of cheese from outside in the garden and come in crying their hearts out for some. (I do give in now and then :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The cheese thing's strange, since it's not all that common for cats to go out farming cows/goats/sheep and then producing cheese :D

It's not about the high protein content either as our guy really doesn't like anything eggy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My boy was partial to scrambled egg. But it had to come from my plate. If I cooked them and gave them to him, the nose would be turned up and the laser beam stare would be in place as if to say 'What is this sh1t you've given me?' Funny - dog's the same too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

My doggie can hear the fridge opening and detect slices of ham being removed. I think she is asleep down the far end of the room but her little JRT ears never sleep :D she literally dances from foot to foot and gives the pleading eye as she LOVES ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

For my dog - CTRL+A :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I just caught Mouse eating my carrot cake, not the cream cheese icing, the actual cake!
    She ate a pretty big chunk and look disapointed I stopped her, it was the last slice too :(

Mouse is a cat by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

My dog used love tea and lattes. Whenever anyone had a cup, she would sit staring at us. Always gave her the end of the cup - she was so small her head could fit into the cup no bother.

Food-wise, I've never come across a more picky dog. We would have to cook her chickens and livers and everything, because she wouldn't touch dog food (unless she was going through a phase where she decided it wasn't so bad after all). She also loved carrots and cucumber.

The woman I babysit for has two cats, and when they hear the fridge open, they're there, pawing at me and trying to get in at the milk. They also seem to like glenisk goat's yogurt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

my dogs go crazy for take away pizza. once that box is open they are hard to hold. if i'm eating it off my knee, they both jump up on the chair and sit beside me looking longingly at me. they even drool. i refuse to give it to them - it couldnt be good for them but the smell drives them mad! no other food has the same effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

My cat is such a scavenger he will jump up to a good vantage point when you are eating your dinner to see if there is anything he fancies.

Some things he has had recently are
    Chorizo
    Marmite
    Peanut butter
    Poppadums
    fish from a fish curry
    Boiled rice

We dont let him have too much of anything just a little taster otherwise he doesent eat his dinner!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I just remembered, prawn crackers are another huge thing in this house whenever we get a chinese!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

My dog loves all of it, when I'm cooking he sits behind me and headbutts me in the legs to remind me that he's there and would like some of that please. Particular favourites which mean the frequency and ferocity of the headbutts increase are tuna, cheese, any type of meat, and raw eggs. He's also intrigued by avocado but he's never had any, don't think it's safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

My dog knows the difference between the rustling of a packet of crisps and a packet of biscuits. If we pop on the kettle, he'll wait by the biscuit press. He gets the odd custard cream or rich tea :P

He hates crisps.

Advertisement