Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human food your pets crave?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I had a cat, that used to go after grapes when left in the fruit bowl >.> She also liked salt and vinegar crisps.

My current cat has a thing mashed spuds, caught her one evening licking the plate clean o_O.

I have a dog that knows WHENEVER a bar of chocolate rapper is being open.
    And if anything falls, he's very quick to grab it, the bugger >_>

___
    (NOT Food but)My mom has a dog, she has to keep a close eye on when painting. As the dog will lick the walls or drink the paint given half the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Our cat loves cake and muffins. Hubby was reading the paper one day and holding a blueberry muffin in his left hand. Cat came along and took a big bite out if it and ran off! He also loves cheesecake and goes mad for icing. We have to watch him!

Otherwise he's mad for dairy and chicken (pretty standard for cats). When I'm roasting a chicken he sits and watches it cook in the oven because he gets the first piece of it when I carve it!

I find cat's tastes funny - previous cats have been mad for ham and salmon/fish while our fella now won't touch either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

My dog had a few strange ones. She loved raw pasta, and raw potato peels and raw carrot peels but she wouldn't eat raw carrot which made no sense to me at all. As soon as she saw anyone peeling potatoes in the kitchen she would be straight over. She loved fruit and veg too which I was surprised by, especially broccoli. But the thing she loved most was ice cream, she would go mad whenever she saw the tub of ben and jerrys. When we finished one I used to leave it on the ground and she would push it all around the kitchen for about 10 minutes trying to lick it all out.

Makes me sad thinking about her, I miss her every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I had a cat, that used to go after grapes when left in the fruit bowl >.> She also liked salt and vinegar crisps.

My current cat has a thing mashed spuds, caught her one evening licking the plate clean o_O.

I have a dog that knows WHENEVER a bar of chocolate rapper is being open.
    And if anything falls, he's very quick to grab it, the bugger >_>

___
    (NOT Food but)My mom has a dog, she has to keep a close eye on when painting. As the dog will lick the walls or drink the paint given half the chance.
    1 of our cats goes mad for mash too. The butter I think, any leftover mash gets put in a scraps bowl in the kitchen to be put out for the birds. I've got him licking the mash sooo many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

MadYaker wrote: »
    My dog had a few strange ones. She loved raw pasta, and raw potato peels and raw carrot peels but she wouldn't eat raw carrot which made no sense to me at all. As soon as she saw anyone peeling potatoes in the kitchen she would be straight over. She loved fruit and veg too which I was surprised by, especially broccoli. But the thing she loved most was ice cream, she would go mad whenever she saw the tub of ben and jerrys. When we finished one I used to leave it on the ground and she would push it all around the kitchen for about 10 minutes trying to lick it all out.

Makes me sad thinking about her, I miss her every day.
    In my late teens my parents adopted a collie X and they used to give him Golly bar ice creams in the summer when it was hot. I can still picture my mum sitting in the garden holding the ice cream while he ate it off the stick. He was a fabulous dog and lived to a ripe old age so it did him no harm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I ve a cat that loves pineapple off pizza. All you ll see is a claw trying to hook a piece from the plate or pizza box .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

As lots of others have mentioned my cat loves diary - cheese, ice-cream and also cream - I have a Saturday treat of a chocolate eclair and the cat recognises the rustle of the bag that it comes in and he goes mental for it.

However the most bizarre thing he loves to eat is raw scone dough - I don't know what the attraction is to some flour, a bit of milk and a bit of butter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

In my late teens my parents adopted a collie X and they used to give him Golly bar ice creams in the summer when it was hot. I can still picture my mum sitting in the garden holding the ice cream while he ate it off the stick. He was a fabulous dog and lived to a ripe old age so it did him no harm.

My parrot loves ice-cream too - I usually give her the last piece still on the stick so she can hold it in her fist and eat it like a polite person :o.

(Never chocolate or coffee ice-cream, both are poisonous to bird and dogs!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

3 jrts who love peanut butter - only discovered that tonight.

One of them also loves bananas, most veg, and insists on a handful of bran flakes for breakfast - or a small bowl of porridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Just a question arising from this - I thought PEANUTS were a real no-no for dogs??? My dogs would take your hand off for peanut butter but I have never given it to them because I believed nuts (and raisins?) were bad. Is this not the case - can I give the boys the odd bit of peanut butter as a treat??

Actually also on the subject - can you confirm raisins are actually bad for dogs anyone? (Not that I give them to them, but they do seem to love them) Is there any other human food that is NOT good for dogs. I know they are Lactose intolerant - why is cheese ok, my lot would sell their souls for cheese...(so would my hens funnily enough!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I wasn't aware that peanuts are bad for dogs, peanut butter is widely recommended for use as a Kong filler, in moderation.
    Raisins and grapes are a no-no. Will find you a link on this.
    Here's one link: http://m.petmd.com/dog/emergency/digestive/e_dg_grape_raisin_toxicity

Milk and any products of it which do not go through a fermentation process are high in lactose. The fermentation process involved in cheese making (hard cheeses, not soft or cream cheeses), and yogurt making, digest the lactose so that it's present in very low amounts.This is why hard cheeses, and yogurts, are ok for lactose intolerant animals (which is just about all mammals once they reach adulthood) and humans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I think i remember that onions are bad for dogs too??

My dog loved her kong stuffed with peanut butter. I used to freeze it in an effort to make it last longer than 5 sec!

aonb wrote: »
    Just a question arising from this - I thought PEANUTS were a real no-no for dogs??? My dogs would take your hand off for peanut butter but I have never given it to them because I believed nuts (and raisins?) were bad. Is this not the case - can I give the boys the odd bit of peanut butter as a treat??

Actually also on the subject - can you confirm raisins are actually bad for dogs anyone? (Not that I give them to them, but they do seem to love them) Is there any other human food that is NOT good for dogs. I know they are Lactose intolerant - why is cheese ok, my lot would sell their souls for cheese...(so would my hens funnily enough!)

My son's jrt was allergic to peanuts - but we found that out very quickly and in a spectacularly messy fashion. I know I said 'was' - sadly lovely little Peggy was startled by a pre-Halloween firework last Oct and ran out onto a busy main road...:(

The reason for the peanut butter last night was the OH loves peanut butter but is always eyeballed by dogs while eating it. She subscribes to some vet advice site and they mentioned that peanut butter is a very good way of getting dogs to take tablets as they universally love it.

We used to have an old jrt (still miss her so much) who was on a several tablets a day and less than co-operative about taking them so we used to stick them in whatever we could to 'trick' her (even when desperate, I am ashamed to say, chocolate.... I know..but only a tiny bit after she had spat it out for like the 7th time.... :o)

One of our dogs has a liver shunt and may on occasion require antibiotics should the toxins build up (we have him since Dec and no issues so far thanks to the help of boardies who pointed me in the direction of the right advice on diet specifically for this condition - owe you guys big!).
    One of the others has a 'talent' for finding broken glass and cutting her pad - so far I have been able to deal with it (am now an expert in bandaging dog paws) but she is also a royal pain when it comes to giving her tablets and given her special 'talent' we decided to see if they (we couldn't cut the other one...) liked peanut butter should we need to start giving them tablets.

They went crazy for it... although they are taught to wait their 'turn' they were pushing and shoving each other out of the way with tongues on full turbo trying to lick it off our fingers. It was very funny. :D

No idea about raisins as I hate them myself so we don't tend to have them in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ILoveToast

For some reason, the dogs I have now and the ones I have had in the past, all went crazy when they could smell pasta. I never gave them more than maybe one piece, but the smell of it drives them nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It my was dog's birthday yesterday. Funny thing, but normally you have to leave the room when he eats. When I put his birthday sausages down for him, they were gone before I left the kitchen!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,455 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It my was dog's birthday yesterday. Funny thing, but normally you have to leave the room when he eats. When I put his birthday sausages down for him, they were gone before I left the kitchen!! :D

When giving dogs something like this, spread it out. Dogs will get much more enjoyment out of a suasage cut into 10 and given to them over a period of time as opposed to the whole sausage eaten in one fell swoop.

The sausages were cut up! Doesn't matter HOW you give them to him. They go before you can say knife!

And he further disgraced himself today. My Sil went shopping and dropped in on my FiL on the way back. My husband was there with the dog. Dog does his usual - investigating the contents of the shopping bag. SiL takes bags into the kitchen, leaving them on the counter. In the bag is some deli turkey she bought for her husband's sandwiches for work.

SiL goes home taking shopping with her. When she gets home, she decides to make the sandwiches for tomorrow. Looks in bag. No turkey. Just the bag. My little darling stole it!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

The sausages were cut up! Doesn't matter HOW you give them to him. They go before you can say knife!
    The speed my fellas eat meat is in inverse proportion to the quantity, the more there is the less time it take to hoover it up. :pac:

Cedrus wrote: »
    The speed my fellas eat meat is in inverse proportion to the quantity, the more there is the less time it take to hoover it up. :pac:

My old girl went for an 'inhale it now, taste it later when I belch' approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I don't even know how they know they like meat, they put more effort into tasting a carrot. :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    'inhale it now, taste it later when I belch' approach.

"And generously share it with momma by belching meatily right into her face"
    :D:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    My old girl went for an 'inhale it now, taste it later when I belch' approach.

I am always afraid mine will forget to breathe when they do this :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

DBB wrote: »
    "And generously share it with momma by belching meatily right into her face"
    :D:o

I got this yesterday, beef kidney burps, * GAG*

Advertisement