Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maldron Hotel, or Jurys Inn?

Options
  • 24-04-2013 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'd really appreciate some help from the Cork locals!

I've narrowed my hotel search down to the two mentioned above and I'm having trouble with the final decision. If you have experience with, or valid opinions of either of the hotels I'd love to hear it.

I've stayed in a Maldron hotel before, but not the one in Cork, I found it great value for what we paid.
    I've stayed in the Jurys Inn in Cork before, and it was fine, but that was five years ago, plenty of time for things to have gone downhill :P

If ye have any other hotel suggestions, I'd be grateful for them too. Just keep in mind that I'm looking for a room for two adults, for under €80, and within walking distance of the Pavilion. I don't mind a good walk usually, but it'll be late at night so I'd prefer somewhere quite close!

aaand I've managed to turn a simple question into an essay, typical.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

A colleague of mine used to stay in the Maldron in Cork but hated the place, one night he checked out at 3am because of the the racket going on in the hotel. Based on his experience (repeated) I would avoid that hotel. Jury's Inn is no great shakes either, a Stag destination. Jury's is closer to town. Within your budget I would suggest also having a look at Hotel Isaac too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Ericaa wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'd really appreciate some help from the Cork locals!

I've narrowed my hotel search down to the two mentioned above and I'm having trouble with the final decision. If you have experience with, or valid opinions of either of the hotels I'd love to hear it.

I've stayed in a Maldron hotel before, but not the one in Cork, I found it great value for what we paid.
    I've stayed in the Jurys Inn in Cork before, and it was fine, but that was five years ago, plenty of time for things to have gone downhill :P

If ye have any other hotel suggestions, I'd be grateful for them too. Just keep in mind that I'm looking for a room for two adults, for under €80, and within walking distance of the Pavilion. I don't mind a good walk usually, but it'll be late at night so I'd prefer somewhere quite close!

aaand I've managed to turn a simple question into an essay, typical.

They're both just a less than 10 minute walk from the Pav - uphill to the Maldron - flat to Jury's Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

A colleague of mine used to stay in the Maldron in Cork but hated the place, one night he checked out at 3am because of the the racket going on in the hotel. Based on his experience (repeated) I would avoid that hotel. Jury's Inn is no great shakes either, a Stag destination. Jury's is closer to town. Within your budget I would suggest also having a look at Hotel Isaac too.
    Haha, yeah I'm not expecting great things from either of them, so I'm prepared for a bit of noise. Thanks for your response!
    evilivor wrote: »
    They're both just a less than 10 minute walk from the Pav - uphill to the Maldron - flat to Jury's Inn.
    Yup, I know, I only mentioned that so people wouldn't suggest somewhere further out. Thank you though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Maldron's is awful. The area it's in isn't great either. Jury's I hate with a passion. Never stayed in the Cork one, but had an awful experience in Bristol and have never used since.

Isaac's was the first hotel I stayed in when I first visited Cork. Good location, being only a 5 minute walk to Patrick St and was reasonable comfortable. They also have two great restaurants, although I haven't been to Greene's since it changed to bistro style. It's also much nearer to town than either Maldron or Jury's, and a MUCH better hotel.

Maldron's is awful. The area it's in isn't great either. Jury's I hate with a passion. Never stayed in the Cork one, but had an awful experience in Bristol and have never used since.

Isaac's was the first hotel I stayed in when I first visited Cork. Good location, being only a 5 minute walk to Patrick St and was reasonable comfortable. They also have two great restaurants, although I haven't been to Greene's since it changed to bistro style. It's also much nearer to town than either Maldron or Jury's, and a MUCH better hotel.

Just looked up their website, it's same price as the other two, so in my range, but just my luck, there's no twin room available for my date. **** sake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I quite like the maldron. I've never stayed there (living nearby and all)but often swim in their pool and get dinner and a drink afterwards.
    Nice enough hotel from what I've seen of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

What about the Metropole on McCurtain St? Pretty much in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ohh just incase you like spooks there is a room in the Maldron is suppose to be haunted..:) ahh would love it..

Mmm near the Pav I would think the imperial would be just a stones through away for it. Jes just thinking that's what Cork Needs a city centre based cheap and cheerfull accomdation. The old cinema site would be spot on for a town hostel make a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

There are also several nice b&b/guesthouses on Wellington Road, very close to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Ericaa wrote: »
    Just looked up their website, it's same price as the other two, so in my range, but just my luck, there's no twin room available for my date. **** sake!

Now why on earth would you need a twin bed for your date?? It's the perfect situation for the oldest trick in the lads playbook: "Oh FFS - I booked a twin room but there's been an administrative mix-up and they've given us a double and now all the twin rooms are taken!!" Jobsagoodun :) giggidy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Now why on earth would you need a twin bed for your date?? It's the perfect situation for the oldest trick in the lads playbook: "Oh FFS - I booked a twin room but there's been an administrative mix-up and they've given us a double and now all the twin rooms are taken!!" Jobsagoodun :) giggidy

Date on the calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Maldron is awful, stayed there before and wouldnt recommend. And it had nothing to do with the fact the room and corridor were defo haunted. had to do with the fact that there were huge holes around the windows and was a bit run down. I dont think jurys inn is great either. Its a bit of a walk or maybe a taxi at night but did you try the montenotte hotel?

The Montenotte's even further out! Thought the OP wanted something in the city centre?

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Hahaha this made me laugh oh gosh!
    He's not my date you silly sausage :P
    Cadyboo wrote: »
    Maldron is awful, stayed there before and wouldnt recommend. And it had nothing to do with the fact the room and corridor were defo haunted. had to do with the fact that there were huge holes around the windows and was a bit run down. I dont think jurys inn is great either. Its a bit of a walk or maybe a taxi at night but did you try the montenotte hotel?
    Right, I'm not too keen on the Maldron then haha. Ah no Jurys isn't too far away at all, I've stayed there before in the same circumstances as this time, and the walk flew by.

As for the Montenotte, it's too far away, and too expensive. Thank you though!
    What about the Metropole on McCurtain St? Pretty much in town.
    Actually that's not looking too bad a choice either, has anyone stayed there before that could share their experience?

Yes, I've stayed there on occasion before I moved to Cork. Not a bad hotel as it goes. Just across the road from Isaac's, so it's still the same five minute walk to Patrick St.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's also much nearer to town than either Maldron or Jury's, and a MUCH better hotel.

The Maldron is slightly closer to The Pav than Isaac's is!
    Also nothing wrong with the area.

If you say so...

Personally, I don't like the area the Maldron's in. And I don't like the hotel. It has a cheap and nasty feel to it. And that's OK.

Advertisement