Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confusing Tenancy Agreement

Options
  • 24-04-2013 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭

I'm in the situation of needing to move out of a rented house we only moved into a couple of months ago.

Our lease/ tenancy agreement has me confused as to our obligations.

Front page states; residential lease agreement..........note for tenants, this is a periodic month to month tenancy agreement, 4 year cycle.

Page 2; Terms.........Term;one year

Page 10; Tenant may terminate agreement at any time without stating grounds....
    Duration of Tenancy Notice Period
    Less than 6 months....28days
    6-12 months.......35days

Is this normal? and if so am I tied for 1 year or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Jacovs

bhamsteve wrote: »
    I'm in the situation of needing to move out of a rented house we only moved into a couple of months ago.

Our lease/ tenancy agreement has me confused as to our obligations.

Front page states; residential lease agreement..........note for tenants, this is a periodic month to month tenancy agreement, 4 year cycle.

Page 2; Terms.........Term;one year

Page 10; Tenant may terminate agreement at any time without stating grounds....
    Duration of Tenancy Notice Period
    Less than 6 months....28days
    6-12 months.......35days

Is this normal? and if so am I tied for 1 year or not?

It says "tenant may terminate agreement at any time without stating grounds".
    Since you said you only moved in a couple months ago I assume it is less than 6 months, thus you just have to give 28 days notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

That is how I see it, but then on the second page it says under the terms and conditions;
    Term- 1 year.

Presumably they can't hold you to the 1 year term if it is completely contradicted elsewhere in the agreement.

Jacovs wrote: »
    It says "tenant may terminate agreement at any time without stating grounds".
    Since you said you only moved in a couple months ago I assume it is less than 6 months, thus you just have to give 28 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The landlord has written a pretty cast iron break clause as far as I can see. They have zero comeback if you give them notice that you are leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Jacovs

I can see the confusion, as it also says on the front page periodic month to month.

As far as I know, as long as you give the necessary notice then no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

I'll just give the notice in then, don't think they'd be able to do anything even if they try to kick up a fuss. Landlord is sound enough so shouldn't be a problem anyway.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement