Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Studies & French DCU

Options
  • 24-04-2013 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi I'm in 6th year and was interested in the new BA Joints Honours course and was interested in doing media and french. However as it's a new addition theres no past points last year to go by.

Does anyone have an idea of what sort of points estimate to go by? :)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maidhfinden

I'm thinking of going for French and Irish in that new arts course too, doubt there's any way of guessing points though seeing as it's the first year! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eb12323

I emailed the registrar for any info but they won't post anything til "after the academic year"

Any estimates on how many points or is it too hard to tell? :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

eb12323 wrote: »
    I emailed the registrar for any info but they won't post anything til "after the academic year"

Any estimates on how many points or is it too hard to tell? :S

It's not just hard to tell, it's impossible to tell.

CAO points are determined by the points the applicants for each course receive, not by any other factor so until everyone who has applied for this new course does their Leaving Cert and receives their results, it's impossible to tell.

Say for example, this new course accepts 10 students. 20 students have put it down no. 1 on their CAO. Once the results of all these students are available, they are listed in order of their results e.g.

Student 1 - 600 pts
    Student 2 - 550 pts
    Student 3 - 540 pts

etc. etc. Then the top 10 students are offered the course. Whatever points the 10th student has determines the "points" for that course. So if the 10th student had 400 pts, then the 2013 points for the course would be 400.

So as you can see it all depends on what results the students who have applied for the course get. The points cut off could be 500 pts, it could be 200 pts. There's absolutely no way to tell unfortunately. Best thing you can do is study hard, do your best in your exams and keep your fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eb12323

There's just no way around it I suppose! Thank you so much for the helpful answer :)

Advertisement