Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

license question

Options
  • 24-04-2013 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Well lads im thinking of changing from a shotgun to 22lr as I can't have both because of the law that requires a house alarm for more than three guns and was wandering when applying for the licence do I have to surrender the shotgun licence and wait for the rifle license or can I keep the shotgun license until the rifle license comes through incase it isnt granted I don't want to be stuck without any gun

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Are you trading the shotgun against the .22 or buying it, then selling the shotgun.

If trading then it's not an issue. If selling i would store the gun in a dealer's, and when the .22 comes through submit an FCA2 to cancel the shotgun. In the meantime if someone wants to buy, just sell it, and the submit the FCA2 with the buyer's details.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭cubbyleader

Cheers for the reply. Is there anything in the law to say I can't keep the shotgun until the license comes through and then sell the shotgun, submit the paperwork and then pick up the rifle when the shotgun is no longer in my possession? Sorry about the badly worded questions

Yes and No.

You are licensed o the shotgun, and may keep it and the .22 if successful.

The issue arises from the FCA1. On it, under the security section, it asks you to tick the box to confirm that you comply with the security requirements. If you tick this knowing that your security is not at the level required for more than three guns then technically it's a fraudulent application. Now that is being very legal.

Worse case scenario the FO calls out to inspect the security, sees you already have three guns, and the .22 will put you into the next level, and you don't have the alarm on the room or house. He could be okay with it, and ask you increase the security or he could seek a refusal.

BTW, the security for more than three guns says that the place where the guns are to be stored should be alarmed. hat could be the room or the house. So i would talk with your FO, and see what s/he says before deciding to sell anything. Might be affordable enough to allow you to keep the shottie.

For the moment you can keep the shotgun, and when you get the grant letter for the .22 i would store the shotgun if not sold. As i see it, and this is not to be confused with a legal position, you are not committing fraud as your security level will be correct at the time you take ownership of the rifle. IOW you will still have three rifles.

However the FO may not see it that way, and may seek a letter form a dealer to say the gun is stored before issuing the license for the .22. As said speak to your FO.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭cubbyleader

Thanks for the info Ill talk to the fo and see what way he sees it. Cheers

Either option above will work, but i'd chat to the FO to see if there is not some way to keep the guns with minimal outlay on upgraded security.

• Advertisement
Advertisement