Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broodmare supplements

Options
  • 24-04-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on moving my mare onto stud cubes throughout her pregnancy and while she is lactating with foal at foot.

I am also going to add copper as a vitamin E booster, cod liver oil, electrolytes once every 2 days and garlic over the summer months for flies.

I'm just wondering is there a cheaper option in the cod liver oil and garlic powder, both of these can be bought in any supermarket and I'm sure they work just the same.

Am I right in this thinking? Can't justify the prices of garlic powder when you can get good cooking ones for a fraction of the price, never mind cod liver oil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I'm planning on moving my mare onto stud cubes throughout her pregnancy and while she is lactating with foal at foot.

I am also going to add copper as a vitamin E booster, cod liver oil, electrolytes once every 2 days and garlic over the summer months for flies.

I'm just wondering is there a cheaper option in the cod liver oil and garlic powder, both of these can be bought in any supermarket and I'm sure they work just the same.

Am I right in this thinking? Can't justify the prices of garlic powder when you can get good cooking ones for a fraction of the price, never mind cod liver oil.
    Cod Liver Oil and Garlic can be bought anywhere.
    But why would you be adding extra copper to a balanced feed unless she is lacking in it
    And why would a broodmare need extra electrolytes .
    I come from a veterinary family and worked with broodmare mares in one of the country's biggest breeding operations and it was not something we did at home or on the studs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Mares only need extra nutrients coming into their 9th months of pregnancy. Before that, a maintenance diet (not gaining or losing weight, just enough to "tick over") is more than enough as the foal only does most of his growing in month 9 onwards. If you feed too much before that, you just end up with an overfed mare which can lead to complications in itself.
    Copper is actually a good idea, as many places lack copper, which helps to prevent OCD. Mares milk is often lacking in this, as well as zinc and iron, but if you're serious about nutrition, I'd get her tested for deficiencies first, as you don't want to over do these either. These nutrients are stored from month 9. Be sure she is getting enough energy and protein after month 9 and be aware that her actually intake in food will reduce as the foal puts pressure on the digestive tract but her requirements go up. Vitamin A and D are two vitamins whos requirements go up too, but a good quality feed should cover most of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Esroh wrote: »
    Cod Liver Oil and Garlic can be bought anywhere.
    But why would you be adding extra copper to a balanced feed unless she is lacking in it
    And why would a broodmare need extra electrolytes .
    I come from a veterinary family and worked with broodmare mares in one of the country's biggest breeding operations and it was not something we did at home or on the studs

Electrolytes during the wamer months as she tends to get slightly dehydrated. They're not for during her entire pregnancy, sorry should have made it clear. Copper for extra vitamin e as I've often heard of deficiencies and don't want to take many chances.
    sup_dude wrote: »
    Mares only need extra nutrients coming into their 9th months of pregnancy. Before that, a maintenance diet (not gaining or losing weight, just enough to "tick over") is more than enough as the foal only does most of his growing in month 9 onwards. If you feed too much before that, you just end up with an overfed mare which can lead to complications in itself.
    Copper is actually a good idea, as many places lack copper, which helps to prevent OCD. Mares milk is often lacking in this, as well as zinc and iron, but if you're serious about nutrition, I'd get her tested for deficiencies first, as you don't want to over do these either. These nutrients are stored from month 9. Be sure she is getting enough energy and protein after month 9 and be aware that her actually intake in food will reduce as the foal puts pressure on the digestive tract but her requirements go up. Vitamin A and D are two vitamins whos requirements go up too, but a good quality feed should cover most of this.

You're correct of course! She will only be on a half scoop which will be boosted up to a scoop coming into her 8/9th month. Plan is to increase feed but reduce haylage and roughage just a little bit coming into her final months,she will be out during the day anyway coming to the end as I want to keep her somewhat active. She will be fed little and often as opposed to her normal breakfast and dinner portions.

She is getting tests done tomorrow to cover both uterine swab and other bloods needed before breeding, my vet said he will also test for deficiencies so I will have a better idea in 10 days time or so.

I will be keeping check on her anyway, but vitamin e will be added from day one, garlic is just for the flies to keep her comfy, and electrolytes only during warm days as she tends to get slightly dehydrated. Cod liver oil has always been added to her feed for a silky, shiny coat!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

In which case, Apple Cider Vinegar is a good, cheaper alternative for cod liver oil. As for garlic, maybe just shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Got a 5 litre drum of karron oil for 18 euro I've calculated it will last me over 100 days so that's my oil sorted! Got a large drum of vitamin e supplements for 18 which will last around the same amout, shopping around seems to be working!

Thanks everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Stroppymare

Have you tried any of the Asian supermarkets for garlic? They often do catering sizes without you having to go to a Cash and Carry.

Advertisement