Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Childcare Proposal!

Options
  • 24-04-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I cannot believe my eyes! How much more incompetent can our government possibly be? Just seen the latest news regarding subsidising Childcare with the proposal of a full scale roll out in sept to 6000 unemployed and lone parents, what about the working families struggling to pay exorbant Childcare costs??? I'm speechless. If this is being rolled out why isn't it a system accessible to all? 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Alora wrote: »
    I cannot believe my eyes! How much more incompetent can our government possibly be? Just seen the latest news regarding subsidising Childcare with the proposal of a full scale roll out in sept to 6000 unemployed and lone parents, what about the working families struggling to pay exorbant Childcare costs??? I'm speechless. If this is being rolled out why isn't it a system accessible to all? 

I hadn't heard of this yet - is it supposed to be an extension/more places on the CCS scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Do you have a link to an official announcement/press release?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

http://www.thejournal.ie/subsidised-childcare-scheme-government-883861-Apr2013/

I'm at a loss also - I just don't get it. I simply can't see the logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Full publication on DCYA page here: http://www.dcya.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=2655.

Although I see the benefit for those on a lone parent payment, to whom the cost of solely sustaining the cost of childcare, rent, bills etc. would be unfeasible, why is this being aimed at unemployed parents? They hardly need childcare if they are at home all day. If they do choose to return to education/do a CE scheme/fas course they are then able to claim lower cost childcare through the CCS scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

More tabloid-like journalism from thejournal I'd say there. From the draft, it looks like this is available to those who have a job offer but are unable to take it up because of childcare costs.
    In this first phase, up to 500 childcare places will be made available to people who have been long-term unemployed or were former recipients of the One Parent Family Payment and who have got a job offer or have significantly increased their part-time hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

pwurple wrote: »
    More tabloid-like journalism from thejournal I'd say there. From the draft, it looks like this is available to those who have a job offer but are unable to take it up because of childcare costs.

Ok, that makes more sense. Because I can't see what benefit it would be to long term unemployed that have no intention of working. It should be rolled out for working people under a certain wage, fingers crossed they might extend it to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

There's still the people in the middle who don't qualify for any benefits, but who have to turn down job offers because the salary wouldn't cover childcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I imagine the way they are looking at it is that if you are a lone parent or unemployed affordable childcare is a barrier to taking up a job, heck its hard enough to get to an interview sometimes if you don't have someone who can mind your child. Provide the childcare and it might help someone get off benefits.

They probably presume a working parent already has it sorted so why would they possibly need the help? :rolleyes:

Its a start though and that's a good thing, we've been crying out for proper childcare for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The other thing to note from the proposal is that it is for after-school care. So for school age children only, not newborns or toddlers it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Even in the good times Ireland was topping the stats for households where both of the parents were not working. Unless you want to bring up another generation of dole recipients, then long therm unemployed should be encouraged back to work. This initiative is very welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

meeeeh wrote: »
    Even in the good times Ireland was topping the stats for households where both of the parents were not working. Unless you want to bring up another generation of dole recipients, then long therm unemployed should be encouraged back to work. This initiative is very welcome.

I second this, very welcome, not only there will be no more excuses from those who might be taking advantage of the benefit system but also it will give real hope to those who are genuinely looking for work in a very difficult job market who previously only had the prospect of getting employment that would barely serve to pay for the childcare while they were working.
    I also think that it is a good thing that they are starting at small scale and hopefully intend to assess and review the outcomes before rolling it out to a larger pool of recipients.
    I would like to see it extended to more than after-school hours and to working parents on low income.
    As long as it's not another initiative brought in to shush the people and then led blindly with wide open loop-holes for the wrong people to benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

It's seems good but also bad. Take myself for instances I have 3 year old and i am a lone parent currently finishing course so will hopefully have a job offer in the next few weeks fingers crossed. But I will be on a low wage starting off I won't get any help paying the €830 a month crèche fees which will be reduced down to €590 in sept with free play school. Now if I waited another year and stay unemployed i would qualify for this scheme and only have to pay €80 a month. But if I get a job now I won't qualify this year or next evn though I'll be on the same income. Seems a bit unfair to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Is it just so the person can take up a job offer??
    I'd really like to go back to college but the course I want to do is full time with work experience placements so it would be really hard for me to take up with a one year old & unable to afford childcare.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Is it just so the person can take up a job offer??
    I'd really like to go back to college but the course I want to do is full time with work experience placements so it would be really hard for me to take up with a one year old & unable to afford childcare.

if you are doing a FAS and VEC course you are entitled to free childcare under the CETs scheme.

also most universities and IT's provide childcare places under the CCS scheme

Advertisement