Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property in Coolock

Options
  • 24-04-2013 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi would anyone advise on Beechpark avenue in Coolock?
    is the area ok for a growing family? creche , schools, quiet area?

thank you for your help!

Comments

alkey wrote: »
    Hi would anyone advise on Beechpark avenue in Coolock?
    is the area ok for a growing family? creche , schools, quiet area?

thank you for your help!

Hi just live around the corner nice area. Schools very handy both primary and secondary and good schools as well. Very little in Coolock village itself these days but parnells has nice bar for drinks and food. Great location few mins to airport and lots of transport into town. Really good area to live in . Any questions just give me a shout. Couple of good creches around there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 alkey

Thank you! is it safe and quiet at night?
    how about shops? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Having grown up relatively close I would say it is a nicer part of Coolock. The problem is it is in Coolock. I have lots of friends from here but none of them would advise moving into the area.

I was stabbed as a teenager in Coolock village over mistaken identity. It is not a rare occurrence in the area for such things to happen. It is also not uncommon for trouble in the Sheaf Of Wheat and that would be around the corner from the house.

I wouldn't buy there to live or rent due to the anti-social element there. One of the larger prison populations are from Coolock. Some lovely people there but wouldn't move there by choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Having grown up relatively close I would say it is a nicer part of Coolock. The problem is it is in Coolock. I have lots of friends from here but none of them would advise moving into the area.

I was stabbed as a teenager in Coolock village over mistaken identity. It is not a rare occurrence in the area for such things to happen. It is also not uncommon for trouble in the Sheaf Of Wheat and that would be around the corner from the house.

I wouldn't buy there to live or rent due to the anti-social element there. One of the larger prison populations are from Coolock. Some lovely people there but wouldn't move there by choice.

Equally, I grew up there, my family have lived there for years and nothing has ever happened. No trouble, nothing. It's not the nicest area but I certainly find Adare and Beechpark to be fine.

Also the Sheaf of Wheat has been closed for a number of months and is reopening as a pub selling craft beers no less!

alkey wrote: »
    Thank you! is it safe and quiet at night?
    how about shops? thanks

I never had any trouble there at all. I find it quite a safe area especially round the part your looking. Would be quiet enough at night as well. Shop wise in the village you have spar and a couple of take aways. But you are only five mins away from tesco clarehall so handy and walking distance to cinema and leisureplex.

• Advertisement

I never had any trouble there at all. I find it quite a safe area especially round the part your looking. Would be quiet enough at night as well. Shop wise in the village you have spar and a couple of take aways. But you are only five mins away from tesco clarehall so handy and walking distance to cinema and leisureplex.
    Fair enough you think it is a safe area but things of the past in Coolock say otherwise. Boy stabbed while coming out of the cinema, party goer shot and killed when somebody opened fire on the house for not being allowed in, police cars being rammed etc... That would not be on my list of things I would expect to hear from a "safe area".

High unemployment, low age of school leavers, high rate of single parents, high number of people from the area in prison etc...Coolock is a troubled area and has been for a long time. That estate is a nicer part but the area as a whole is not great and the schools would mean your kids would be associating with people with these back grounds.

I am not being snobby this is the reality in the area. OP just be aware of area.

Fair enough you think it is a safe area but things of the past in Coolock say otherwise. Boy stabbed while coming out of the cinema, party goer shot and killed when somebody opened fire on the house for not being allowed in, police cars being rammed etc... That would not be on my list of things I would expect to hear from a "safe area".

High unemployment, low age of school leavers, high rate of single parents, high number of people from the area in prison etc...Coolock is a troubled area and has been for a long time. That estate is a nicer part but the area as a whole is not great and the schools would mean your kids would be associating with people with these back grounds.

I am not being snobby this is the reality in the area. OP just be aware of area.

Not really the reality of the area the OP is talking about as its a quiet part of Coolock. You are talking more of the Darndale area. Its like saying whats Glasnevin like and most people will say its lovely yet its beside areas in Finglas and Ballymun which are not as good. I think your points re the high unemployment low age of school leavers and single parents and the prison is a massive generalistation. I live 30 seconds from where the op is looking and not seen one bit of trouble around the village in 35 years of living there

Not really the reality of the area the OP is talking about as its a quiet part of Coolock. You are talking more of the Darndale area. Its like saying whats Glasnevin like and most people will say its lovely yet its beside areas in Finglas and Ballymun which are not as good. I think your points re the high unemployment low age of school leavers and single parents and the prison is a massive generalistation. I live 30 seconds from where the op is looking and not seen one bit of trouble around the village in 35 years of living there

I completely agree the houses the OP is talking about is in a nice estate. The reality is we are not talking about Darndale but 10 minutes from the house. The incidents I mentioned were all close to that estate and not as far as Darndale which is pretty close too.

Coolock has trouble and your kids would be going to school with kids from the area. Lots of long term unemployed live in the area with criminal and drug problems too.

I wouldn't choose to live there and I think if the OP is to make a decision they should get all the details. It certainly is worse than average area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I completely disagree with the previous poster, and I have grown up, and still live in, Coolock.

There are drug problems in many areas of Dublin, teenage mothers in all parts of Dublin, etc.

I've never had an ounce of trouble in Coolock, and I live very close to two of the 'bad' parts of the area.

Almost every young person I know from the area is employed. You choose who associate with. The people I associate with from Coolock are all employed, well educated and have never been in any trouble.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    I completely disagree with the previous poster, and I have grown up, and still live in, Coolock.

There are drug problems in many areas of Dublin, teenage mothers in all parts of Dublin, etc.

I've never had an ounce of trouble in Coolock, and I live very close to two of the 'bad' parts of the area.

Almost every young person I know from the area is employed. You choose who associate with. The people I associate with from Coolock are all employed, well educated and have never been in any trouble.

There are similar problems in some places but the magnitude in Coolock is huge. Technically speaking it is the worst neighbourhood in the entire country.
    I have friends and family working in DSP for the area. The figures for Coolock are the worst on somethings and close to the worst on others. Combines it puts it as the worst area in the country. It is not top for anything.

I get it is your home but you know that non-locals may not have such an easy time of it. That is speaking from growing up close by and having friends who grew up there.

• Advertisement

I get it is your home but you know that non-locals may not have such an easy time of it. That is speaking from growing up close by and having friends who grew up there.

I'm not a 'local,' I'm originally from Clontarf, but have been in Coolock since I was a teenager.

As a non local, the worst I experienced was some bullying because I have a 'posh' accent, and I didn't even go to school in Coolock, so technically have had zero problems in Coolock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

There are good apples and bad apples no matter where you go, coolock just has a higher proportion of bad apples than other places. Local resident.

There are similar problems in some places but the magnitude in Coolock is huge. Technically speaking it is the worst neighbourhood in the entire country.
    I have friends and family working in DSP for the area. The figures for Coolock are the worst on somethings and close to the worst on others. Combines it puts it as the worst area in the country. It is not top for anything.

Jesus wept far from the worst neighbourhood even in the area dont mind the country. As people have said there are good and bad parts where the op is looking is nice and the local schools are quite good to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 alkey

Thank you all for your posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I have 2 aunts and an uncle living in Coolock with their families. They came from Inner City Dublin , married and moved to Coolock to rear their children. None of their children are unemployed and , they are college graduates with good jobs or still attending college and working part time. None have been in trouble with Police or had drug or anti social behaviour issues and they would be from the Darndale/Moatview area not the nicer Beachpark area.

Employed Inner City people rearing rearing decent families with college degrees in Coolock , who'd have thought it was possible ???

Karen23 wrote: »
    I have 2 aunts and an uncle living in Coolock with their families. They came from Inner City Dublin , married and moved to Coolock to rear their children. None of their children are unemployed and , they are college graduates with good jobs or still attending college and working part time. None have been in trouble with Police or had drug or anti social behaviour issues and they would be from the Darndale/Moatview area not the nicer Beachpark area.

Employed Inner City people rearing rearing decent families with college degrees in Coolock , who'd have thought it was possible ???

I have lots of friends with good jobs and degrees from Coolock. No surprise to me. Equally of the guys I went to school from Coolock 4 of them are in and out of prison and another was killed in a drug dispute. Who would have thought that was possible??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I have lots of friends with good jobs and degrees from Coolock. No surprise to me. Equally of the guys I went to school from Coolock 4 of them are in and out of prison and another was killed in a drug dispute. Who would have thought that was possible??

Your school friend was killed because he was involved in a drug dispute not because he was from Coolock, and yes its possible because its possible no matter where you come from.

My point is you made Coolock sound like a kip full of scummy drug dealers/takers where you're more likely to be robbed , stabbed or shot. Not everyone from Coolock is like that, some people actually make good for themselves. There's good and bad everywhere.

This same argument goes round and round every time it comes to topics about Finglas, Ballymun, Coolock etc. When will people realise that not everyone from these areas conforms to the scum stereotype.

Karen23 wrote: »
    Your school friend was killed because he was involved in a drug dispute not because he was from Coolock, and yes its possible because its possible no matter where you come from.

My point is you made Coolock sound like a kip full of scummy drug dealers/takers where you're more likely to be robbed , stabbed or shot. Not everyone from Coolock is like that, some people actually make good for themselves. There's good and bad everywhere.

This same argument goes round and round every time it comes to topics about Finglas, Ballymun, Coolock etc. When will people realise that not everyone from these areas conforms to the scum stereotype.

It isn't a stereo type it a statistical reality. Possible in another area doesn't mean it is likely where as being in Coolock it is likely. I never said at any point everybody in Coolock is like that. It is simply more likely to encounter and have to deal with such behaviour in Coolock than many many other places in the country. It is one of the worst areas in the country.

The guy I went to school with was not my friend but the reality is he was much more exposed to drugs living in Coolock and thus increased his chances of being involved. That is the way things work. This is not my fault nor my fault for pointing it out. Coolock is not a nice neighbourhood and it is not the fault of everybody living there but there is a higher portion of bad apples.

Good and bad everywhere is a complete cop out. Some places have more bad than good or just even a higher bad than other areas. A good neighbourhood is one that has higher good than others. Coolock unfortunately for the good people there has a higher bad than most areas.

Some things are just opinion but Coolock truly has a very bad record on a social-economic front, that isn't opinion.

It isn't a stereo type it a statistical reality. Possible in another area doesn't mean it is likely where as being in Coolock it is likely. I never said at any point everybody in Coolock is like that. It is simply more likely to encounter and have to deal with such behaviour in Coolock than many many other places in the country. It is one of the worst areas in the country.

The guy I went to school with was not my friend but the reality is he was much more exposed to drugs living in Coolock and thus increased his chances of being involved. That is the way things work. This is not my fault nor my fault for pointing it out. Coolock is not a nice neighbourhood and it is not the fault of everybody living there but there is a higher portion of bad apples.

Good and bad everywhere is a complete cop out. Some places have more bad than good or just even a higher bad than other areas. A good neighbourhood is one that has higher good than others. Coolock unfortunately for the good people there has a higher bad than most areas.

Some things are just opinion but Coolock truly has a very bad record on a social-economic front, that isn't opinion.

Really dont understand the problem you have with coolock. It has good and bad parts but never had a problem living in Coolock all my life. To keep trotting out about all the drug problems and one of the worst areas in the country. You really have not seen much of the country if you think Coolock is anywhere near that.

Really dont understand the problem you have with coolock. It has good and bad parts but never had a problem living in Coolock all my life. To keep trotting out about all the drug problems and one of the worst areas in the country. You really have not seen much of the country if you think Coolock is anywhere near that.

What you don't seem to understand is I have seen the stats. Coolock is the worst on paper for indicators for poverty, drugs, school leaving and crime.

I have no problem with Coolock I would never advise anybody move there, move there myself nor buy a property to rent there. I do feel there are probably worse areas in reality not observed/recorded but it is a bad neighbourhood. Do you really think Coolock is good neighbourhood or below average?

All you have to do is look at the shops in the council estates to get an idea . Has it got many horses about? What is the local shopping centre like? Halting sites? Now compare those things to a nice neighbourhood like Clontarf the difference is obvious

• Advertisement

What you don't seem to understand is I have seen the stats. Coolock is the worst on paper for indicators for poverty, drugs, school leaving and crime.

I have no problem with Coolock I would never advise anybody move there, move there myself nor buy a property to rent there. I do feel there are probably worse areas in reality not observed/recorded but it is a bad neighbourhood. Do you really think Coolock is good neighbourhood or below average?

All you have to do is look at the shops in the council estates to get an idea . Has it got many horses about? What is the local shopping centre like? Halting sites? Now compare those things to a nice neighbourhood like Clontarf the difference is obvious

Having lived in both, I honestly prefer Coolock.

There's nothing actually wrong with the shopping centre, don't really know why that was brought up. Superquinn, Dunnes, numerous clothes shops like New Look and Love, newsagents, hair dressers, post office, bank, seriously, what's wrong with all of that? The building itself could do with a revamp but there's nothing wrong with any shops inside of it.

Having lived in both, I honestly prefer Coolock.

There's nothing actually wrong with the shopping centre, don't really know why that was brought up. Superquinn, Dunnes, numerous clothes shops like New Look and Love, newsagents, hair dressers, post office, bank, seriously, what's wrong with all of that? The building itself could do with a revamp but there's nothing wrong with any shops inside of it.

The shopping centre is horrible and that is after they did it up. The stores in the centre are all pretty run down and not kept up to the standard of other stores in the chains. The people in the centre are also pretty rough along with the Black Sheep pub being a very rough place.

The corner shops are really bad in the area. Barred windows, tires on the pillars outside some having been set on fire. Are you ignoring those? Do you expect to see this in nice area? The horses don't exist either? Halting sites? I mean you would swear I am making up this stuff they way people are defending the area. A lot of boarded building and extremely run down houses. These are all signs of a bad area. Where are you likely to see a burnt out car Coolock or Clontarf?

The shopping centre is horrible and that is after they did it up. The stores in the centre are all pretty run down and not kept up to the standard of other stores in the chains. The people in the centre are also pretty rough along with the Black Sheep pub being a very rough place.

The corner shops are really bad in the area. Barred windows, tires on the pillars outside some having been set on fire. Are you ignoring those? Do you expect to see this in nice area? The horses don't exist either? Halting sites? I mean you would swear I am making up this stuff they way people are defending the area. A lot of boarded building and extremely run down houses. These are all signs of a bad area. Where are you likely to see a burnt out car Coolock or Clontarf?

What shops in the centre are run down? New Look is in good nick, as is Superquinn, Dunnes, Peter Marks, Love, Republic, Meteor/e-mobile, The Gem, the Mascot, etc. The only one I can think of that is in bad nick is probably the hardware shop. The Black Sheep hasn't existed in years, it's a pub called Liz Delaney's, and while the nightclub itself there has a bad rep (and probably deserved, although I've never had any issues in there personally), the pub itself is quite nice actually.

What parts of Coolock are you talking about with tires being set on fire and corner shops with barred windows? I don't live anywhere near any corner shops, and every single house near where I live is in good condition. The only area that looks awful is Bunratty and that's because the maisonettes have been torn apart to be rebuilt so there's construction work going on.

All the bad things you've mentioned in housing estates are primarily located in areas such as Darndale. Darndale is a kip, but most other areas are fine.

I've never seen a burned out car in either Coolock or Clontarf.

What shops in the centre are run down? New Look is in good nick, as is Superquinn, Dunnes, Peter Marks, Love, Republic, Meteor/e-mobile, The Gem, the Mascot, etc. The only one I can think of that is in bad nick is probably the hardware shop. The Black Sheep hasn't existed in years, it's a pub called Liz Delaney's, and while the nightclub itself there has a bad rep (and probably deserved, although I've never had any issues in there personally), the pub itself is quite nice actually.

What parts of Coolock are you talking about with tires being set on fire and corner shops with barred windows? I don't live anywhere near any corner shops, and every single house near where I live is in good condition. The only area that looks awful is Bunratty and that's because the maisonettes have been torn apart to be rebuilt so there's construction work going on.

All the bad things you've mentioned in housing estates are primarily located in areas such as Darndale. Darndale is a kip, but most other areas are fine.

I've never seen a burned out car in either Coolock or Clontarf.

They renamed the pub and now only the night club has a bad rep that sounds lovely. I haven't been in Northside in about 5 years because it is so horrible. My Mother no longer goes there as she doesn't feel safe and she used to do her weekly shopping there. I find it hard to believe the shops all are now done up. The place was always filthy

Darndale is in Coolock. Bunratty Road has a shop like a I mentioned as does Kilmore west. The maisonettes were terrible and the fact they are being done up now doesn't negate some were boarded up for a decade or so. It also doesn't negate the other houses boarded up.

I'll give you a prime example with easy direct comparison. There is a church in Coolock that is exactly the same original structure as built in Artane. Just go look at the two churches as they are now. The one in Coolock is in bad condition and has higher security than the one in Artane. You would nearly think they were different building but they were built the same at the same time.

I have seen burnt out cars in Coolock lots of times and I didn't live there. You didn't answer my question which was where are you more likely going to see one not have you ever seen one.

They renamed the pub and now only the night club has a bad rep that sounds lovely. I haven't been in Northside in about 5 years because it is so horrible. My Mother no longer goes there as she doesn't feel safe and she used to do her weekly shopping there. I find it hard to believe the shops all are now done up. The place was always filthy

Darndale is in Coolock. Bunratty Road has a shop like a I mentioned as does Kilmore west. The maisonettes were terrible and the fact they are being done up now doesn't negate some were boarded up for a decade or so. It also doesn't negate the other houses boarded up. Yes, the maisonettes WERE terrible, but that's being changed, so what's the issue there?

I'll give you a prime example with easy direct comparison. There is a church in Coolock that is exactly the same original structure as built in Artane. Just go look at the two churches as they are now. The one in Coolock is in bad condition and has higher security than the one in Artane. You would nearly think they were different building but they were built the same at the same time.

I have seen burnt out cars in Coolock lots of times and I didn't live there. You didn't answer my question which was where are you more likely going to see one not have you ever seen one.

Oh okay, so you're judging a shopping centre that you haven't set foot into in five years? Great logic there. How can you judge something you don't know?

The corner shop in Bunratty does not have barred windows IIRC, and none of the three corner shops in Kilmore have. Kilmore is Artane by the way, not Coolock.

Yes, Darndale is part of Coolock, and nobody is debating that Darndale is a kip, but one section being bad does not = all of the area being bad.

Which church are you referring to? There are more than one. Haven't been in St. Francis' so can't comment on that one, but St. Joseph's is fine.

Since I've never seen one in either, I can't tell you where I'm more likely to see one, I thought that was evident.

You obviously dislike the place, and fair enough. But how you can judge things like a shopping centre that you haven't been inside of in five years is beyond me.

Darndale is in Coolock. Bunratty Road has a shop like a I mentioned as does Kilmore west. The maisonettes were terrible and the fact they are being done up now doesn't negate some were boarded up for a decade or so. It also doesn't negate the other houses boarded up.

Your Mother does not feel safe to shop in Northside Shopping Centre .. Really.. You have spoken such rubbish on this post and maybe were bullied by someone from Coolock when you were younger as you seem to have a big problem with the area. All these burnt out cars you have seen in coolock I have lived there all my life and not seen one. Strange that. Coolock Church high security was brought in as romanian gypsies were coming in to the church looking to take the collection boxes.

All these problems you talk about are hugely exagerated by yourself from some reason only known to yourself. From someone who doesnt live there, rarely goes there you seem to know so much about an area even more than those that live there. Comparing it to Clontarf is daft would the op be able to afford a house there of course not. U come across as a stuck up snob who looks down there noses at anyone who may not be from a well to do area.

Oh okay, so you're judging a shopping centre that you haven't set foot into in five years? Great logic there. How can you judge something you don't know?

The corner shop in Bunratty does not have barred windows IIRC, and none of the three corner shops in Kilmore have. Kilmore is Artane by the way, not Coolock.

Yes, Darndale is part of Coolock, and nobody is debating that Darndale is a kip, but one section being bad does not = all of the area being bad.

Which church are you referring to? There are more than one. Haven't been in St. Francis' so can't comment on that one, but St. Joseph's is fine.

Since I've never seen one in either, I can't tell you where I'm more likely to see one, I thought that was evident.

You obviously dislike the place, and fair enough. But how you can judge things like a shopping centre that you haven't been inside of in five years is beyond me.

Kilmore West is in Coolock and was where I mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilmore_West

The 20 odd years living close to Coolock gives me a lot of knowledge on the area and it appears to be better than yours.

As Northside Shopping Centre has been a kip all my life and my wife and mother both tell me it is the same I'll believe them instead of you.

The church is facing the Stardust park and the church in Artane is on the Ardlea road.

I haven't been in the shopping centre in 5 years doesn't mean I haven't been in the area in 5 years. My wife works in Coolock.

Priorswood, Dardale, Spring Field, Kilmore West, Bunratty etc... are all in Coolock not just one area in Coolock is a kip.

You never saw a joyrider in Coolock and have lived there a while? Very bizarre.

I stand by everything I have said on the area but I am not sure why you seem to think it is a very small section that is a problem while I see it a very small section is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Lived in Coolock for many years (near the Stardust park) and would never move back there by choice. Even though I do be back over now and again it hasn't changed from what I can see and I can never get out of the place again fast enough.

The "Artane side" of Coolock was always considered the better half but even at that it's not without a lot of problems too.

Look elsewhere OP is my advice

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭MeIsGod

I agree about northside shopping centre, its an absolute dump.

• Advertisement

Your Mother does not feel safe to shop in Northside Shopping Centre .. Really.. You have spoken such rubbish on this post and maybe were bullied by someone from Coolock when you were younger as you seem to have a big problem with the area. All these burnt out cars you have seen in coolock I have lived there all my life and not seen one. Strange that. Coolock Church high security was brought in as romanian gypsies were coming in to the church looking to take the collection boxes.

All these problems you talk about are hugely exagerated by yourself from some reason only known to yourself. From someone who doesnt live there, rarely goes there you seem to know so much about an area even more than those that live there. Comparing it to Clontarf is daft would the op be able to afford a house there of course not. U come across as a stuck up snob who looks down there noses at anyone who may not be from a well to do area.

A 70 year old woman not feeling safe in a shopping centre that has tons of track suit wearing majority not a shocking thought.

The church has been like that for over 10 years. Like fort Knox compared to the other church. Not because of Roma Gypsies

You really don't get I, Coolock is not an average area it is well below average.

If you bothered to read my other posts you would know friends and family work in Coolock in DSP. Now who do you think will know more about the financial/social situation of the residents you or her?

I also see others have chimed in and agree with me.

Advertisement