Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property in Coolock

Options
2»

Comments

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    A 70 year old woman not feeling safe in a shopping centre that has tons of track suit wearing majority not a shocking thought.

The church has been like that for over 10 years. Like fort Knox compared to the other church. Not because of Roma Gypsies

You really don't get I, Coolock is not an average area it is well below average.

If you bothered to read my other posts you would know friends and family work in Coolock in DSP. Now who do you think will know more about the financial/social situation of the residents you or her?

I also see others have chimed in and agree with me.

Tracksuit wearing majority .. Yep just go with your stereotype. It is because of roma gypsies with the church they have not just arrived in Ireland recently. As I have lived in Coolock all my life and most of my close friends do I think I have a better idea of the area than you taking other peoples word for it.

U do seem like a bitter individual though and the op I would say would find more genuine and friendlier people in Coolock than in Clontarf as you mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Tracksuit wearing majority .. Yep just go with your stereotype. It is because of roma gypsies with the church they have not just arrived in Ireland recently. As I have lived in Coolock all my life and most of my close friends do I think I have a better idea of the area than you taking other peoples word for it.

U do seem like a bitter individual though and the op I would say would find more genuine and friendlier people in Coolock than in Clontarf as you mentioned earlier.

I am in no way bitter I just don't take the "salt of the earth" mentality to what are actual social issues. If you are trying to tell me if I went into Northside I would see no more people wearing track suits then other shopping centres I know you are wrong.

The church has always had higher security than the one in Artane it isn't a recent event. Go into both churches and you will see.

Maybe because you lived there all your life you have no idea what a nice area is like. Defending and lying about the area you live in seems more a bitter reaction than telling it as how I see it. Couldn't care less about who decides to live there but I will give my opinion and defend that opinion against what I see as incorrect.

You do realise I have friends and family from Coolock who feel the same. I am not some outsider just critical of the place. I know it very well and I know other areas too so I have something to compare it with but if you have only ever lived there you might not know the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Ray,

I've decided I need to row in here. You're talking about the experiences of people you know who work in the DSP... EH, they kinda see the worst of it. Goes with the job. Kilmore and Darndale are technically in Coolock. As in, technically. In practice, they're their own areas.

My own 78 year old grandmother has lived around the corner from Beechpark for years and never had any trouble. My dad and his siblings grew up there and all have done well and never got into trouble. We know plenty of people in the area, none of whom are louts.

Do parts of Coolock have disproportionately high social and crime problems? Absolutely. Are they near where the OP is asking about? No. From what I've heard, the schools in the area are fine and there are plenty of them.

Coolock itself - as in the area around the village that really is Coolock and not some godawful council estate that was ill-conceived and filled with the dregs of society - is grand. Fairly standard working class Dublin area. Well connected with public transport, close to airport, M50, M1, town. It's not the best area in Dublin, I don't think anyone would say it is. But if the OP is looking to buy around Coolock they obviously can't afford the best area so what's the point in cribbing that Clontarf is nicer. Big freaking deal, so is Killiney! Coolock itself (not outlying areas that have about as much connection with Coolock as Santry or Baldoyle) isn't the worst area. You certainly could pick worse areas to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Ray,

I've decided I need to row in here. You're talking about the experiences of people you know who work in the DSP... EH, they kinda see the worst of it. Goes with the job. Kilmore and Darndale are technically in Coolock. As in, technically. In practice, they're their own areas.

My own 78 year old grandmother has lived around the corner from Beechpark for years and never had any trouble. My dad and his siblings grew up there and all have done well and never got into trouble. We know plenty of people in the area, none of whom are louts.

Do parts of Coolock have disproportionately high social and crime problems? Absolutely. Are they near where the OP is asking about? No. From what I've heard, the schools in the area are fine and there are plenty of them.

Coolock itself - as in the area around the village that really is Coolock and not some godawful council estate that was ill-conceived and filled with the dregs of society - is grand. Fairly standard working class Dublin area. Well connected with public transport, close to airport, M50, M1, town. It's not the best area in Dublin, I don't think anyone would say it is. But if the OP is looking to buy around Coolock they obviously can't afford the best area so what's the point in cribbing that Clontarf is nicer. Big freaking deal, so is Killiney! Coolock itself (not outlying areas that have about as much connection with Coolock as Santry or Baldoyle) isn't the worst area. You certainly could pick worse areas to live.

Within 10 minute walk of Coolock Village drugs used to be openly sold on the street on Bunratty Road. A child was stabbed to death at the cinema again about 10 minute walk from the village.

If you have been reading the thread you will notice I said the estate was nice but it is very close to very undesirable behaviour. There is no technically in Coolock it just is or is not. You want to make out the village is grand and safe you can't because it isn't isolated from the area it is situated in. The village isn't even that safe as I mentioned I was stabbed there as a teenager. The pub had at least one arson attack on it.

Coolock is not a standard working class area. It is primarily made up of social housing and has massive poverty, unemployment, drugs and crime issues. That is Coolock. Does that mean everybody from there is a lout, scumbag, criminal etc...? No and I never said it was. Does it increase the dangers to raising a child in the area? Yes most certainly. Are you and your property at more risk? Yes most certainly. People including yourself are saying it is a pretty standard area which it so isn't! It is a poor area and on par with Ballymun, Finglas etc... The thing is Coolock is worse on paper

I never said nice people don't live there or all who enter are doomed. There is a reality there that people should be aware of. You could buy in a nice area for the same price.

You say the dregs of society live in certain parts of Coolock which I wouldn't say. There are some lovely people living in tough places but they have to deal with a lot of social economic problems. The thing is the local pubs to some of the bad areas is in Coolock village a few hundred meters from the house the OP is looking at.

Advertisement