Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Purchising small plot without auctioneer/solicitor?

• 24-04-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi

I plan to buy a small piece of land – 7ish acres - throughprivate sale. It is part of the estateof a deceased neighbour. His land is infour different locations. At eachlocation a neighbour (living adjacent to each retrospective plot) has beenrenting the land for many years, in relation to three plots, for about fifteenyears before the neighbour passed away. Hissister, who now lives in another part of the country, is selling the land. With each of the four plots, she has said shewill sell, in each instance, to the neighbour who has been renting, obviously ifprice is right for both parties that is! This is in a rural community, and we all know each other’s families, soits reasonably informal. She has beenworking on getting the titles sorted with a few years, having had to go back afew generations to get it sorted and using the services of an incredibly lethargicsolicitor.

Anyhow, my question: Is it possible to complete the sale/transfertitles without using a solicitor? Hasanyone on here made a purchase without the solicitor?

Also, I understand the seller will get an auctioneer to valuethe land, so ide imagine they (as opposed to the buyer) will pay for thisevaluation. Since this will be a privatesale and is only a small plot, I don’t see the outward need for an auctioneerto complete the sale. Obviously onewould need to calculate and pay stamp duty, and what ever other fees are involved,is it ok for a layman to do this?

Has anyone on here bought/sold doing the transaction themselves?

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Legal advice is not available. Conveyancing law is technical and complex. Land law in Ireland is fraught with issues.

Go to a solicitor. Pay over nothing and don't be lulled into a secure state that tends to indicate you can do this yourself, easily - you can't.

Now, admittedly, I've re-read your post. A cacophony of potential issues. Don't touch anything without legal advice and a ten foot barge pole.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement