Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eamon Dunphy at it again

• 24-04-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

Dunphy has just said that if its an all German final CL final, it will be a bad spectacle as German football is of a poor standard :rolleyes:

Why do RTE pay him to display a level of footballing intelligence less than that of my dog? Seriously, the guy is an embarrassment to the station.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

You're talking about him. Money well earnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

grenache wrote: »
    Dunphy has just said that if its an all German final CL final, it will be a bad spectacle as German football is of a poor standard :rolleyes:

Why do RTE pay him to display a level of footballing intelligence less than that of my dog? Seriously, the guy is an embarrassment to the station.

So you will be annoyed.

Hes a paid troll and tbh hes very good at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

I enjoy his 'analysis'. Take it with a pinch of salt and it's a bit of fun.

He talks awful rubbish, but he can be entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

dreamers75 wrote: »
    So you will be annoyed.

I keep hearing this, however when you think about it, how many people in Ireland is he going to wind up saying 'German football is of a poor standard'?

Not many I'd imagine, so maybe he actually believes what he says and is just batshít crazy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

He can be entertaining at times but I'd rather RTÉ provided analysts who know what they're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The alternative tonight is Jamie Redknapp,nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

So you will be annoyed.

But why would a station continually employ a guy who puts people off watching their coverage? Between Dunphy and Hamilton who talks too much, I cannot stand RTE's coverage.
    I normally watch CL games on Sky or ITV but RTE had to suffice tonight as didn't renew Sky subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

They were quick to point out all the "foreigners" who were playing for Munich, not so quick to point out that there were also German national players who had made it to the last 4 with Real Madrid.
    I know Bill is there to provoke them also but he's really grinding my gears lately with his stupid stats and questions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I disagree with a very large proportion of what the lads with RTE say, but I still miss watching them at half time living abroad, especially for the Irish games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

touch of class from the lads there, fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

If I have the choice I watch the matches on RTE. most entertaining coverage.

Dunphy can at times make some very good points and has been less trollish in recent months than before, although was on troll form tonight. It did feel very forced though.

Sky/BBC and ITV have the most insipid coverage, the blandest of bland.

TV3 are an abomination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

You talk football to your dog? And you call Dunphy an embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'll never understand how Dunphy can talk pure crap week after week and people love him for it. Defies belief. Go into work tomorrow and you can listen to lads with ****e opinions on football, go to your local pub. Everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

The panel are so unprofessional, you can tell they do little to no research on the teams they are commentating.

CSF wrote: »
    I'll never understand how Dunphy can talk pure crap week after week and people love him for it. Defies belief. Go into work tomorrow and you can listen to lads with ****e opinions on football, go to your local pub. Everywhere.

You need to talk to grenache's dog. Woof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

He can be entertaining at times but I'd rather RTÉ provided analysts who know what they're talking about.

That will be a first. Some weeks ago Madrid Vs Man Utd he said "neither will win the CL". This week, as in tonight before the match, said Real Madrid were going to win the CL. Always changing his mind. Madrid may still pull it out of the fire but I doubt it. He is just there to liven things up and keep Giles and O'Herlihy awake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

But why would a station continually employ a guy who puts people off watching their coverage? Between Dunphy and Hamilton who talks too much, I cannot stand RTE's coverage.
    I normally watch CL games on Sky or ITV but RTE had to suffice tonight as didn't renew Sky subscription.

This from the op says everything we need to know. RTE's soccer panel might be getting a bit long in the tooth, but they continue to beat SKY and ITV everytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Same here. Prefer to watch games on UTV or BBC or Setanta or....

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    That will be a first. Some weeks ago Madrid Vs Man Utd he said "neither will win the CL". This week, as in tonight before the match, said Real Madrid were going to win the CL. Always changing his mind. Madrid may still pull it out of the fire but I doubt it. He is just there to liven things up and keep Giles and O'Herlihy awake alive.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

So you will be annoyed.

you give the man too much credit. There's a difference between a good quality wind up merchant and someone who believes being articulate makes their spoofing true.

I'd well believe Dunphy thinks German football is of poor quality, the only German football they have seen would be Germany V Ireland and (insert German Club) in champions league matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

On the strength of what we saw with Bayern last night and Dortmund tonight ,if that's bad football then give it to me anytime but hey ...it is Dunphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Dunphy must be suffering from dizzy spells by now with all the U-turns he's done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I'd say he just gets carrried away with himself, I doubt he'll wake up tomorrow thinking the same thing. How many German internationals did we see between the 2 semi final games? 15 or so? I doubt he likes losing arguments after a few jars so he'll say anything to save face, even ridiculous shíte like this!

mosstin wrote: »
    You talk football to your dog? And you call Dunphy an embarrassment.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Eamon Dunphy is a colour commentator. RTE have him there to talk shíte the same way U.S. tv networks have for American Football & Basketball.

The man himself doesn't actually annoy me. It's the "Andy Reid brigade" who spout whatever garbage he says that really píss me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

At half time he said Dortmund weren't much good and would not win the game after conceding the Real goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

if dunphy winds you up you need to take a long look in the mirror, a proper football fan shouldnt give a toss what these so called 'experts' say, if you cant come to your own conclusions on games then you shouldnt be watching the game full stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Ah the RTE panel 'telling it like it is' as usual :rolleyes:

Comments like that are just annoying like.
    Giles needs to get lost as well, he is beyond infuriating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

mike65 wrote: »
    At half time he said Dortmund weren't much good and would not win the game after conceding the Real goal.
    he had a real madrid bias since the united game, go figure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Both put 4 past the mighty Barcelona and Madrid . Eamon wasn't a great footballer and I think its reflected in his punditry :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Dempsey wrote: »
    he had a real madrid bias since the united game, go figure

He backtracked on Ronaldo for the second time recently (and tried to claim he only had reservations about him at the start of his career, slating him in last years CL doesn't count:confused:), and ever since then he's seemed to be giving him and Real a lot more praise than they've deserved a lot of times.

Madworld wrote: »
    Eamon Dunphy is a colour commentator. RTE have him there to talk shíte the same way U.S. tv networks have for American Football & Basketball.

The man himself doesn't actually annoy me. It's the "Andy Reid brigade" who spout whatever garbage he says that really píss me off.
    I'm part of the Andy Reid brigade. It's one of the few good points that Dunphy makes.

if dunphy winds you up you need to take a long look in the mirror, a proper football fan shouldnt give a toss what these so called 'experts' say, if you cant come to your own conclusions on games then you shouldnt be watching the game full stop

I can come to my own conclusions thanks. Any fool knows the Bundesliga is on a par with La Liga. I just think what ED says makes no sense and am highlighting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Remember around 07 or 08? Dunphy's favourite line was ''this Arsenal team are going to sweep all before them in the next few years'', said with complete certitude as if some footballing Nostradamus had tipped him off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

dd972 wrote: »
    Remember around 07 or 08? Dunphy's favourite line was ''this Arsenal team are going to sweep all before them in the next few years'', said with complete certitude as if some footballing Nostradamus had tipped him off.

Or a few years ago when he said any team with Pique in defence would never win the CL...

Barcelonas-Gerard-Pique-USA-getting-better-5K8PC3I-x-large.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

There are three parts to your post and each part is absolute b0ll0cks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Dunphy is a poster boy for mass ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Watching live games on few channels (including foreign) and never seen proper panel of experts, unbiased, prepared etc.
    I don't really pay attention to any of them - i watch the same game, and have my opinion.
    I find Dunphy funny btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

wonski wrote: »
    Watching live games on few channels (including foreign) and never seen proper panel of experts, unbiased, prepared etc.
    I don't really pay attention to any of them - i watch the same game, and have my opinion.
    I find Dunphy funny btw.

I think Gary Neville is an excellent pundit, one of the few I enjoy listening to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Its sad that out of however many pundits on the many tv stations around, only a handful know what they're talking about. Neville being one of the best. Most of the lads on ESPN press pass are good too but I can't watch that anymore. John Barnes should be on sky imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

To be fair to Dunphy, German football was a bit boring 3 or 4 years ago, the last time he actually watched anything other than a match he was covering for RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Dunphy is great craic. He's an uber soccer troll. It's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think Gary Neville is an excellent pundit, one of the few I enjoy listening to

He was at the start. Then I think he started listening to hype people were saying about him as a pundit. He's been firmly in superlative land for a few months now. He's seen about a 1,000 "absolutely incredible" goals already this season. He's a bit predictable now.

He's got quite a boring voice to listen to, but Brian Little is a very good analyst too, always seems to have a big knowledge of the game.

To be fair to Giles he can still analyse certain things very well, a team pressing the ball etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Corholio wrote: »
    He was at the start. Then I think he started listening to hype people were saying about him as a pundit. He's been firmly in superlative land for a few months now. He's seen about a 1,000 "absolutely incredible" goals already this season. He's a bit predictable now.

He's got quite a boring voice to listen to, but Brian Little is a very good analyst too, always seems to have a big knowledge of the game.

To be fair to Giles he can still analyse certain things very well, a team pressing the ball etc etc.

Well if you are talking about RVP's volley, than he's right. That type of goal deserves superlatives thrown at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

I'm part of the Andy Reid brigade. It's one of the few good points that Dunphy makes.

And were you in the brigade before or after Dunphy started harping on about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Love the RTE lads. Great banter before and after. Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Corholio wrote: »

So what? There has been some great goals this season. This has zero reflection on his analysis of the CL and PL games he gives. I really enjoy Monday night football and his take on mistakes, tactics and plays (God I sound american there :))... if he calls every above average score an exceptional, brilliant or incredible goal along with it I'm okay with that.

I agree Little explains and comes across really well on tv. I really like Rudd Guillit and Richard Sadlier too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I'd still rather listen to ED than Pat Dolan's gratingly **** accent, he's been back here nearly 20 years, you'd think he'd have sorted that out a bit.

More an Essexphobic than Anglophobic comment btw, I quite like Ronnie Whelan's Dubscouse hybrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

The more I think about it the more hilarious Dunphy's rant about the lack of quality in Germany becomes. That point he made about the German teams being completely reliant on foreigners really took the biscuit. I can understand why people find it infuriating but listening to him rambling on makes for great TV, I'm really looking forward to hearing what he has to say next week!

• Advertisement
Advertisement