Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eamon Dunphy at it again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

zerks wrote: »
    The alternative tonight is Jamie Redknapp,nuff said.

a lesser evil imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Madworld wrote: »
    And were you in the brigade before or after Dunphy started harping on about it?

Tough call.

He was int he squad for Trap's first game Vs Georiga but never got off the bench.

From that moment onwards I was angry Reid wasn't playing.

It later transpired that there was a hotel incident later that night and he was excluded from squads ever since.

What I mean is there wasn't alot of time between the act and Dunphy talking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Kirby wrote: »
    Well if you are talking about RVP's volley, than he's right. That type of goal deserves superlatives thrown at it.

I wasn't talking about any goal in particular.
    Trilla wrote: »
    So what? There has been some great goals this season. This has zero reflection on his analysis of the CL and PL games he gives. I really enjoy Monday night football and his take on mistakes, tactics and plays (God I sound american there :))... if he calls every above average score an exceptional, brilliant or incredible goal along with it I'm okay with that.

I agree Little explains and comes across really well on tv. I really like Rudd Guillit and Richard Sadlier too.

It's just very annoying, and of course it has a reflection. There's also great goals every season, but they don't happen as often as Neville seems to think they do. He's really the first pundit on monday nights to analyse like that so I think a lot of of it is early novelty factor, they used to just give Andy Gray a board and some coloured discs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Corholio wrote: »
    To be fair to Giles he can still analyse certain things very well, a team pressing the ball etc etc.

Excellent point. Despite the fact they don't know much about players/teams outside England, they do know how to analyse a game - Giles in particular. That's why they're worth listening to. Even if Dunphy does go off on a rant, at least they do know how to analyse a game rather than just show goals and comment on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

CSF wrote: »
    I'll never understand how Dunphy can talk pure crap week after week and people love him for it. Defies belief. Go into work tomorrow and you can listen to lads with ****e opinions on football, go to your local pub. Everywhere.

Completely agree. Himself and Giles talk the greatest load of nonesense. But if the panel is ever questioned, it is defended by 'it's entertaining'. If I wanted comedy punditry I would watch Apres match.

Yet the same people who defend Dunphy have problems with Hansen, Lawrenson, Shearer, Quinn etc. At least they contribute to an argument or analysis.

Surely there should be more of reaction to get in a new panel who actually analyse the game rather than throw out ridiculous statements to be contraversal. It's embarressing to watch IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Cant stan the RTE pundits, RTE is always the last place I look for a game, Ill watch Sky, ITV, ESPN and BBC before it anytime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

I actually look forward to the Wednesday game more regardless of who's playing - TV3's coverage is quite simply abysmal.

Martin Keown's face alone is enough to warrant a channel switch until the game starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

zerks wrote: »
    The alternative tonight is Jamie Redknapp,nuff said.

"Two top, top teams, it's literally going to be a triffic final"
    Give me Dunphy any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Cienciano wrote: »
    "Two top, top teams, it's literally going to be a triffic final"
    Give me Dunphy any day of the week.

Indeed for all their faults, Giles droning on, Dunphy doing U turns and O Herlihy constantly rolling something in his fingers when the camera pans back to him( I dread to think what it is :eek:), and the prickliness of Brady.... its entertaining for all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

The problem with the Sky panel I find is they're usually too much in agreement with each other. While, as others have pointed out the RTE panel's knowledge of non English football is a bit lacking at least there's a bit of friction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Lennonist wrote: »
    This from the op says everything we need to know. RTE's soccer panel might be getting a bit long in the tooth, but they continue to beat SKY and ITV everytime.
    Can't agree there. The two best pundits out there are Souness and (though it pains me to say it, being a Man City fan), Gary Neville. God, I feel unclean having said (typed?) that! ITV and the Beeb's pundits are bloody awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Madworld wrote: »
    And were you in the brigade before or after Dunphy started harping on about it?

I'm a Nottingham Forest supporter. I knew Reid's qualities long before Dunphy knew who he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Gott wrote: »
    The problem with the Sky panel I find is they're usually too much in agreement with each other. While, as others have pointed out the RTE panel's knowledge of non English football is a bit lacking at least there's a bit of friction.

This sums up the defence of the panel. EVen though they don't know anything about a non english game, it is perfectly ok for them to talk about it. They don't even bother to get the players name right. It only takes 5 minutes to go to the club website and scroll through the squad and stats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

grenache wrote: »
    I'm a Nottingham Forest supporter. I knew Reid's qualities long before Dunphy knew who he was.

I cringed at this post!

Awful, just awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I just laugh at Dunphy, he wrote in the star on Tuesday that David de Gea needed to be sold for united to progress. He's like the class clown, you can always expect him to say something to get a reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

inmyday wrote: »
    I cringed at this post!

Awful, just awful

:confused:

Is that you Eamon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

CSF wrote: »
    I'll never understand how Dunphy can talk pure crap week after week and people love him for it. Defies belief. Go into work tomorrow and you can listen to lads with ****e opinions on football, go to your local pub. Everywhere.

Because most people in Ireland are not a football going public and Dunphy knows this. Although tbh he has got better with age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

I just laugh at Dunphy, he wrote in the star on Tuesday that David de Gea needed to be sold for united to progress. He's like the class clown, you can always expect him to say something to get a reaction.

again you give the man too much credit, I'd reckon its more likely thats his actual belief. He is not this huge troll people make him out to be, he actually takes himself more seriously than people think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

EDIT: Wrong thread, apologizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Put him on now, he's going to lose it :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What are these lads on? 3 finals in a row for Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

again you give the man too much credit, I'd reckon its more likely thats his actual belief. He is not this huge troll people make him out to be, he actually takes himself more seriously than people think

This. Dunphy isn't anything near the genius polemicist or calculating contrarian as people describe. He is a pig-ignorant loud-mouth, who has to date been rewarded handsomely by a service that positioned itself as the antithesis to the English blandness (BBC) or hype (Sky). Punditry has steadily improved in recent years, leaving his position completely surplus to requirements, but by now he is a made man in Montrose, and won't go anywhere unless he himself chooses to retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Neil3030 wrote:
    This. Dunphy isn't anything near the genius polemicist or calculating contrarian as people describe. He is a pig-ignorant loud-mouth, who has to date been rewarded handsomely by a service that positioned itself as the antithesis to the English blandness (BBC) or hype (Sky). Punditry has steadily improved in recent years, leaving his position completely surplus to requirements, but by now he is a made man in Montrose, and won't go anywhere unless he himself chooses to retire.

I agree. I think Dunphy is essentially the Turner Prize pundit. He comes out with pure shite and some people want to believe this is all his grand masterpiece.

It's not.

It's just shite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

No Hooligans in German Football....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dempsey wrote: »
    No Hooligans in German Football....

hahahhahahahaha thats quality, did he say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Those Dresden lads are the finest choir boys..

I'm always surprised when people bitch and moan about something but still watch it.

I can't stand Redknapp on Sky so never watch his punditry. It's not rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'm always surprised when people bitch and moan about something but still watch it.

I can't stand Redknapp on Sky so never watch his punditry. It's not rocket science.

It's easy to switch off Redknapp. He's boring and his analysis is rubbish. Non event.

Dunphy's different - he's entertaining, a bit mad and his analysis is rubbish, but it's funny. He's liable to say anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

What are these lads on? 3 finals in a row for Bayern.

2 in a row, 3 out of 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Discussions like this are the reason he's on the panel and will continue to be. If people are talking about him, for whatever reason, many of them will go and watch him the next time he's on. How many active discussions are there around at the moment entitled "Jamie Redknapp at it again". Love him or hate him, Dunphy is TV gold - Redknapp provides about as much insight as Spongebob Squarepants and is about as interesting and engaging as Alan Shearer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Discussions like this are the reason he's on the panel and will continue to be. If people are talking about him, for whatever reason, many of them will go and watch him the next time he's on. How many active discussions are there around at the moment entitled "Jamie Redknapp at it again". Love him or hate him, Dunphy is TV gold - Redknapp provides about as much insight as Spongebob Squarepants and is about as interesting and engaging as Alan Shearer

Ye but look at that facial hair, immaculate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Those Dresden lads are the finest choir boys..

It came to my attention, that Frankfurt's supporters are considered to be Scouts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Dunphys off on one again. He doesn't think Bayern are a great team or it was a great occasion :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I'll miss him when he goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Dunphys off on one again. He doesn't think Bayern are a great team or it was a great occasion :rolleyes:

...and that Utd would have destroyed Dortmund despite the fact that Dortmund destroyed a Madrid side that Utd lost to.

"German football is weak"

Hidden%20Troll.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Hes entertaining alright but his black and white views on things are annoying. He wrote Bayern off as non contenders early in the competition and now is pissed off that they have won it. I think he said Juve would dismiss them easily. Juve are ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I normally love him no matter what he spouts - but that was just ridiculous :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Honestly tonight was beyond his usual bit of charming insanity. It was sheer spite towards a team who been close so many times and a league that are nothing but deserving of the plaudits. He was visibly flustered after the Barca game when it was put to him that they had been humiliated and he seemed on a tirade tonight to strike down any sort of threat to the level of status Barca has/had. Some of the nonsense he was spouting was flat out wrong, labelling one of the outstanding players in Europe this Year Thomas Muller "a donkey" would be idiotic enough to get you sacked from most networks. He said more or less the same about Dante which seemed to trail into something more that the world game is in decline or some such, because clearly if Barca is in decline the world must be too. Fair play to Brady for keeping his cool and delivering his point because it would be a sincere challenge for any informed person in the sport to not blow their top having to listen to some of that crap.
    I know people say that "ah shur its just dunphy and this is what he does" but this isn't really the time or place for it, this was an enjoyable game, a final and a celebration of the sport. Ecstasy and redemption for Bayern and sadness although admirable for Dortmund. Spite and bitterness had no place here and I just found myself getting frustrated listening to him when they could have been talking about so much else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Before anyone gets too wound up about it, just remember all the years he's been telling us Ronaldo was rubbish. Dunphy isn't there for his expert opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

And to think there are people that dismiss Brady as an idiot who is just there to defend Trappatoni and take dunphys word as gospel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Never saw the last 15 mins of analysis.. did he get round to mentioning Henry Shefflin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I agree with eamon ..., again ... after the blood and thunder of the rugby, I found the soccer , underwhelming , - put it this way , I switched over to the bowie documentary - much more entertaining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Cienciano wrote: »
    Before anyone gets too wound up about it, just remember all the years he's been telling us Ronaldo was rubbish. Dunphy isn't there for his expert opinion

Everyone knows this but he's there (presumably) to entertain and trying to frustrate and wind up the viewer on an occasion such as today is a total misreading of the audience. His bitching is welcome when Ireland fail and we're looking for someone to blame or when the public view is a team is overrated and deserve to be taken down a peg or two. I think he misread that as the public view for Bayern tinted by his own Barca bias/obsession and just came across as slightly surreal given the occasion, I did wonder if he had been drinking at one stage when he guffawed at Bill's comment that Bayern could dominate Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

And to think there are people that dismiss Brady as an idiot who is just there to defend Trappatoni and take dunphys word as gospel

Nonsense, just because one might disagree with Brady re Trap, he's far from an idiot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Never saw the last 15 mins of analysis.. did he get round to mentioning Henry Shefflin?

No, but he did mention Rory McIlroy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Eamon Dunphy is in decline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

And the reason he still gets that gig is because of the reaction he gets all over places like this whenever he says something he doesn't really believe.

He's hilarious :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

thebaz wrote: »
    I agree with eamon ..., again ... after the blood and thunder of the rugby, I found the soccer , underwhelming , - put it this way , I switched over to the bowie documentary - much more entertaining

Ye well done, after trying to endure 5mins of crab football that is rugby I switched over to an episode of Friends on Comedy Central that despite having seen 33 times, was still more entertaining than that rugby $hite. The Champions league final on the other hand was actually so entertaining and really enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Paully D wrote: »
    And the reason he still gets that gig is because of the reaction he gets all over places like this whenever he says something he doesn't really believe.

Um, I think you overestimate him, he's simply way out of touch, he probably doesn't watch 25% of the games soccer forum members do.

He's not a troll, or a WUM.
    He's an out of touch, out of his depth fool.

• Advertisement
Advertisement