Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eamon Dunphy at it again

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

thebaz wrote: »
    I agree with eamon ..., again ... after the blood and thunder of the rugby, I found the soccer , underwhelming , - put it this way , I switched over to the bowie documentary - much more entertaining
    Ah yeah, but most people didn't watch the rugby because rugby is ****. So with that considered, hard to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Dunphy was a bit tiresome tonight just talking complete nonsense i thought it was quite a good game of football on the whole and bayern are a fantastic team no doubt. What did annoy me also was brady going on and on and on and he has said the same thing before, that mandzukic probably spelled wrong :D epitomised Bayerns hard man attitude and honest hard work, most of the time the big hard man is rolling on the ground either wasting time or trying to get someone booked horrible player :mad: reminds me of suarez:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I switched over to the bowie documentary - much more entertaining

Bollox I knew I was meant to watch something tonight :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

I agree with eamon ..., again ... after the blood and thunder of the rugby, I found the soccer , underwhelming , - put it this way , I switched over to the bowie documentary - much more entertaining

Must be terrible switching from 30 gym monkeys running into each other to 22 people who have given their lives to practising the skills of a game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Thought it was quite funny with giles as well when he was asked how much guardiola would improve them and he came to the figure of 30% :D love them so much more than the english twats:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

JPA wrote: »
    Um, I think you overestimate him, he's simply way out of touch, he probably doesn't watch 25% of the games soccer forum members do.

He's not a troll, or a WUM.
    He's an out of touch, out of his depth fool.

Is the correct answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Anyone hear Bill tonight , when Liam and Eamon were argueing and Bill said '' lets go back to our senior analyst John ''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Bill ''Welcome to our Champions League final coverage, on tonight's show we bring you...

Ronnie Whelan of 1980's Liverpool
    John Giles of 1970's Leeds
    Liam Brady of Arsenal, Juventus and Inter
    Denis Irwin of 90/00's Man Utd
    Paul McGrath of Italia 90 fame

being hectored to about the subject of football by Eamon Dunphy of York City, Millwall, Charlton and Reading.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

grenache wrote: »
    Dunphy has just said that if its an all German final CL final, it will be a bad spectacle as German football is of a poor standard :rolleyes:

Why do RTE pay him to display a level of footballing intelligence less than that of my dog? Seriously, the guy is an embarrassment to the station.

why do you pay any attention to him or watch him when he's on? it's mission accomplished for eamo, because you're on here talking about him and rte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Why what he does works:

Because, with football and other sports, people like to show how educated they are and how much they know. So, by listening to Dunphy, they can then rant to all of their friends about why he's talking ****e and be the know-it-all. Drop in a few youth players with complicated names to the lads down the pub and you'll sound like a right expert. "Jaysus Jim, I suppose you're right," they'll say, staring into thin air while they take a swig of their pint and ponder your superior knowledge. So you'll keep coming back to do so. Pundits who actually know the game, like Gary Neville, are great...but a lot of people don't like to constantly be reminded how their in-depth understanding of the game was cut off so cruelly at around 14-15. "I could've played for United!" they say. And the lads down the pub take another swig of the pint as they say, "I suppose you could've Jim..."

Most intelligent people understand the concept of trolling at this stage, though, so just watch for the sake of seeing what he'll come out with next, knowing not to take him too seriously. As soon as the game ended, I rushed to switch from Sky to RTÉ, and wasn't disappointed in the slightest. Most trolling is rudimentary and desperate. But it takes a certain skill to justifiably argue on live TV that Inter Milan are a world class side and Bayern aren't.

He probably has a giggle to himself thinking of how he's going to wind up so many people with his ludicrous statements, then get paid a fine wage to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hes entertaining alright but his black and white views on things are annoying. He wrote Bayern off as non contenders early in the competition and now is pissed off that they have won it. I think he said Juve would dismiss them easily. Juve are ****e

"Hes entertaining alright but his black and white views on things are annoying."

nod-of-approval.gif

"Juve are ****e"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTz_ene2WkrNbi_BWnlm2U1ElAE_G6IMlQvfNOM6RflrxGt8xMn0Q

DAT hindsight

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'd always semi-enjoyed Dunphy's alternative analysis of games. Tonight though I promised myself that I'd never watch another Champions League game on RTÉ, he really is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The only way to get rid of himself and Giles is to turn over to ITV or Sky. Also RTE reply to all letters of complaint. If you make it aware to them that you are switching over it would be a big help to the public.

The format on RTE needs to be changed. When the dinosaurs are fecked off, its going to be the exact same presenter/big desk coverage, with a bunch of ex pros giving their opinion rather than actual analysis.

PS it always amazes me how violently upset football fans get when rugby is mentioned. The pro12 final was much more exciting than the the UCL Final. Throw your insecurities away and open your mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Dunphy has just said that if its an all German final CL final, it will be a bad spectacle as German football is of a poor standard

This of course being the same football that absolutely destroyed Barcelona. I'd rather weld my eyes closed, than endure the tripe on the RTE panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Its funny I dont think dunphy is trolling at all. I think he actually believes the nonsense he is spouting. He has a very blinkered view of football, no matter how wrong he was proven.

For 3 years he never rated Ronaldo for example, even to today he would step over his own mother if he could analyse a mistake he made in a game.

Munich could go on to win the next 10 champions leagues in a row, but he would still pale them to the great Barcelona.

He believes every word he says make no mistake about it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

CSF wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but most people didn't watch the rugby because rugby is ****. So with that considered, hard to say.

You didn't bring up the topic of another sport but I wouldnt think insulting another sport and potentially annoying any fans of that sport who also frequent the soccer board (I myself played Rugby from under 7s till around 22 for instance) isn't exactly necessary.

With regards Dunphy and co i've never really gotten peoples complaints as most people I know who make a point of watching the Irish panels coverage do so because of the entertainment and controversy / comedy that they create and thats exactly what Dunphy gives you in spades.

If this isnt what you would want sure I can understand that but by this stage (not like this RTE panel is particularly new) I'd think most know what to expect from them and if they want more tactical analysis etc then there would be alternative places that can be found and if you find it elsewhere maybe RTE would actually begin to listen to your concerns as their viewership would not be as high with the comical controversial boyos

PS it always amazes me how violently upset football fans get when rugby is mentioned. The pro12 final was much more exciting than the the UCL Final. Throw your insecurities away and open your mind.

That's subjective, and I disagree. I've been to a couple of RWCs and countless Ireland and Leinster games. I still preferred the football yesterday though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

it was the best CL final since Istanbul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Thought it was quite funny with giles as well when he was asked how much guardiola would improve them and he came to the figure of 30% :D love them so much more than the english twats:p

I laughed as well.

Such an arbitrary number.

They're record in the league this season is .

P34 W29 D4 L1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Lads, keep it about Dunphy, the merits of sports other than Soccer is off topic for the thread and generally the forum too and isnt something Dunphy is going on about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Constantly taking the contrarian view, he often backs himself into a corner where he has to support some ludicrous arguments.

Giles and Brady are far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

I agree with people on here that Dunphy is a poor analyst, but at least he provides some entertainment. When I think of the other channels coverage, I can't think of one good analyst apart from Gary Neville! Let's just say I'd rather listen to Eamon rant on rather than the ****e spouted out by the likes of Jamie redknapp, Alan shearer, or Gareth south gate. At least Dunphy provides a few laughs with his outrageous comments

Cokeistan wrote: »
    I agree with people on here that Dunphy is a poor analyst, but at least he provides some entertainment. When I think of the other channels coverage, I can't think of one good analyst apart from Gary Neville! Let's just say I'd rather listen to Eamon rant on rather than the ****e spouted out by the likes of Jamie redknapp, Alan shearer, or Gareth south gate. At least Dunphy provides a few laughs with his outrageous comments

There's providing entertainment by taking a contrary view, and then there's what he did last night. Essentially all of his comments last night were ridiculous and served to detract from any meaningful discussion about what was a very interesting and entertaining game.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

I agree that he was making ridiculous comments alright. The comment he made about no Rory McIlroy's coming through in soccer was completely irrelevant and ridiculous. Saying that, I still couldn't help but laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

The bloke has just become a parody of himself these days. What he says goes in my left ear and makes its way uninterrupted out through my right ear. He nearly makes ITV's football coverage seem attractive in comparison. Nearly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

They're rubbish and overpaid tbh.

People lap it up because they have a bit if a row and 'aren't like the UK pundits cause they slate players'.

Seriously, is basically being like the grouchy old fella in the pub the limit of our expectations.

Shown up big time last night as they spoke about lewandowski strangely not taking the penalty and slated him for it. No-one knew why so they figured it was just a matter of bottle.

So none of these well paid pundits even bothered to do any research. If they had they would have found out pretty quickly that the teams played each other a couple of weeks ago and lewandowski had a penalty saved.

Can we not expect a little bit of an effort to scratch beyond the surface and provide a but more than the caricatures we're used to?

I'm quite annoyed that my license pays these jokers. If people think they're value for the comedy, they should push them out to an après match slot and get someone else in who knows what they're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Munich have been in 3 of the last 4 finals (including last night's), out-played a much vaunted Barca side home and away and played some of most cutting edge football in the competition. Yet according to Mr Dunphy they are "very over-rated" :rolleyes: Sure Eamo, whatever floats your boat.

I think Dunphy's dream final would be Manchester United v Manchester United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think Dunphy's dream final would be Manchester United v Manchester United.

Lol.

He has always talked Uniteds history but the man has not given a ounce of credit to United in past few years.

Right and wrong in some ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

You didn't bring up the topic of another sport but I wouldnt think insulting another sport and potentially annoying any fans of that sport who also frequent the soccer board (I myself played Rugby from under 7s till around 22 for instance) isn't exactly necessary.
    Probably not necessary. Funny though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Downlinz wrote: »
    Honestly tonight was beyond his usual bit of charming insanity. It was sheer spite towards a team who been close so many times and a league that are nothing but deserving of the plaudits. He was visibly flustered after the Barca game when it was put to him that they had been humiliated and he seemed on a tirade tonight to strike down any sort of threat to the level of status Barca has/had. Some of the nonsense he was spouting was flat out wrong, labelling one of the outstanding players in Europe this Year Thomas Muller "a donkey" would be idiotic enough to get you sacked from most networks. He said more or less the same about Dante which seemed to trail into something more that the world game is in decline or some such, because clearly if Barca is in decline the world must be too. Fair play to Brady for keeping his cool and delivering his point because it would be a sincere challenge for any informed person in the sport to not blow their top having to listen to some of that crap.
    I know people say that "ah shur its just dunphy and this is what he does" but this isn't really the time or place for it, this was an enjoyable game, a final and a celebration of the sport. Ecstasy and redemption for Bayern and sadness although admirable for Dortmund. Spite and bitterness had no place here and I just found myself getting frustrated listening to him when they could have been talking about so much else.

Pretty sure it was Martinez he labeled the donkey. But then again he labels lots of people donkeys. His comments about Bayern's defence were laughable. Their away record of goals concedes this season has been truly amazing.

What really struck though about the Bayern defeat of Barca and his humiliation comments is how short his memory was. All this season he was hyping up Madrid. And in Jan/Feb/Mar, can't remember exactly when he basically mentioned Madrid humiliating after the Copa del Rey and La Liga games. He mentioned it more than once too.

But when it's Bayern you can't mention humiliation. :confused:
    He's belittling of Bayern all season was awful, to put it politely. Is it because they cost him a lot of money or is there something more personal between him and the club? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement