Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought a Siberian/Smoyed huski

• 24-04-2013 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

So we just bought a Samoyed/Siberian female huskey, 9 weeks old.

Just wondering what these dogs are like, we've had a labrador for almost 15 years now and we thought she could do with a companion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

TheStook wrote: »

Just wondering what these dogs are like, we've had a labrador for almost 15 years now and we thought she could do with a companion.

No offense but do you not think you should have looked into what they are like before you got the pup? My sister has a 3 year old one, she's incredibly hyper and yappy. Annoys the hell out of my 5 year old pyrenean :P. They are very friendly though, bit too excitable for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Surely the last thing a 15 year old Lab would want is a hipper puppy around.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Aeternum wrote: »
    No offense but do you not think you should have looked into what they are like before you got the pup? My sister has a 3 year old one, she's incredibly hyper and yappy. Annoys the hell out of my 5 year old pyrenean :P. They are very friendly though, bit too excitable for my liking.

When we saw the picture we had to have her, my auntie has a siberian husky so we know what we're in for.
    It was also €50, best €50 I'll ever spend.

We did google it and talked a lot with the owner and everything seemed fine, the owner had a lot of other interested people so it was kind of a rushed decision tbh but I doubt we'll regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You didn't think about finding out about the breed before you bought her?

When we saw the picture we had to have her, my auntie has a siberian husky so we know what we're in for.

Your auntie may have a siberian husky but samoyeds are a lot more hyper. There is a big difference between a pure siberian and a cross bred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

A Samoyed and a husky are two different breeds so what dog did you actually get?

Why was it only 50 euro?? Alarm bells ringing there for a start.
    Do you actually know the work involved in owning either of these breeds?
    If not I suggest you start doing it now as you are in for a major shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Aeternum wrote: »
    Your auntie may have a siberian husky but samoyeds are a lot more hyper. There is a big difference between a pure siberian and a cross bred.

Thats the wrong way round, sibes tends to be more hyper than samoyeds, can never be let off the lead in an unenclosed area and have a very high prey drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

This has got to be a troll thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

That €50 comment just makes me think this whole thread is a wind up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ILoveToast

ISDW wrote: »
    Thats the wrong way round, sibes tends to be more hyper than samoyeds, can never be let off the lead in an unenclosed area and have a very high prey drive.
    I tend to agree with the First part of your comment, but there is no reason why you cannot have a husky off the lead with the correct training :confused:

OP-I would suggest to start doing some proper research on the breed, still unclear if you got a cross though? As mentioned by a previous poster, it's 2 different breeds.
    I have owned huskies in the past, real nice dogs, they do take up a lot of time though, they require plenty of exercise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

I'm gonna try and be constructive here...

I've seen from your previous posts that you're around 18 and I sincerely hope the dog you're referring to as being nearly 15 is not the one you spoke about being 'near death' two months ago.

The fact you paid so little for this new dog, at 9 weeks (too early IMO) that you're calling a Samoyed/Husky (these are 2 different dogs) would have me worried if I were you.

Siberian huskies are a twice a day, long walk or run, expert diggers/escape artists, not to be left off lead and howl rather than bark. They require a LOT of mental and physical exercise.

And not knowing your set up/garden or yard size... The 'nearly 15' year old dog will not be able for the intrusion of a Samoyed and/or Husky pup and all that comes with it.

It's a bit late for it, but... Get reading up on your new dog - and take what advice is given here. We may sound harsh, but we are ALL speaking from hands on experience.

ILoveToast wrote: »
    I tend to agree with the First part of your comment, but there is no reason why you cannot have a husky off the lead with the correct training :confused:

OP-I would suggest to start doing some proper research on the breed, still unclear if you got a cross though? As mentioned by a previous poster, it's 2 different breeds.
    I have owned huskies in the past, real nice dogs, they do take up a lot of time though, they require plenty of exercise :)

OK, I'm not going to get into an argument with you, but there is not one single sibe breed club or welfare organisation in the world that agrees with you, says it all really. They would be turned free every summer by the chukchi people to hunt and look after themselves, so their prey drive is extremely high and has never left them. I spend every day training my dogs, they can turn left and right on a single word, stop and go, slow down and speed up, but i will never, ever let them off lead in an unenclosed space and I will not rehome a sibe to anyone that would. No reputable breeders I know will sell a pup to someone who will do so, but I guess we're all too lazy to train them properly :confused:

ILoveToast wrote: »

Sorry but every single experienced husky owner breeder trainer etc knows to advise that huskies should not be let off lead in an un enclosed area. Are you disagreeing with all these experts who know the breed inside out? There's a reason they are not meant to be let off the lead and that is why people need to do their research before getting these breeds.

Oh I'm not an expert on the breeds I am just speaking from my experience with them :) I have found Samoyeds to be very jumpy and excited constantly, I have never met a calm one while I have met several calm Siberians. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Dodd wrote: »
    This has got to be a troll thread.
    That €50 comment just makes me think this whole thread is a wind up!

Mod note: As Hooked has pointed out, the OP in this instance is young, so without wanting to come across as patronising, I'm prepared to give the OP the benefit of the doubt at this moment in time.
    No more on-thread troll accusations please. This thread is being closely monitored.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ILoveToast

OK, I'm not going to get into an argument with you, but there is not one single sibe breed club or welfare organisation in the world that agrees with you, says it all really. They would be turned free every summer by the chukchi people to hunt and look after themselves, so their prey drive is extremely high and has never left them. I spend every day training my dogs, they can turn left and right on a single word, stop and go, slow down and speed up, but i will never, ever let them off lead in an unenclosed space and I will not rehome a sibe to anyone that would. No reputable breeders I know will sell a pup to someone who will do so, but I guess we're all too lazy to train them properly :confused:
    No no, of course I'm not saying you're too lazy to train :)
    I'm talking from my own experience from owning huskies in the past. I never had an issue with having them off the lead, this is something I would have always done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

ISDW you have me thinking. Is the same not true of any dog with a high-prey drive?

I know if Josie (greyhound) were off lead and she saw a cat or a rabbit, for instance, that she would gone like a flash heedless of all dangers and there is no way I could recall her. That is part training (ex-racing dog) and part genetics.

boomerang wrote: »
    ISDW you have me thinking. Is the same not true of any dog with a high-prey drive?

I know if Josie (greyhound) were off lead and she saw a cat or a rabbit, for instance, that she would gone like a flash heedless of all dangers and there is no way I could recall her. That is part training (ex-racing dog) and part genetics.

I imagine it probably is, there are quite a few breeds that I see on here are recommended not to be off lead.

It is interesting with sibes though, I know a lot of teams who have dogs that will run past rabbits, deer etc on the trail, when they are in working mode, but if they were off lead, no way would they heed any calling to them. We met a stag on a trail last year in England, was very impressive, he just walked across the path, as calmly and slowly as you like, my lot wanted to go and see him, but thankfully the brakes held. When he had disappeared into the forest, they ran on straight past no problems at all. Another team met a pack of wild boar that same weekend, that didn't end quite so well, no animals were hurt, but they tried to go into the forest after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

What other breeds could be put in the same category, in your experience or from what you've heard?

• Advertisement

What other breeds could be put in the same category, in your experience or from what you've heard?

beagles have been mentioned, and the sight hounds I imagine, but its only really what I've seen on here and other forums, I've not done proper research into it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

The fact a breed has been developed to hunt and take down live quarry would answer the question really. Makes sense that if they still have the eye-stalk-chase-kill instinct hard wired into them, you can guarantee they will follow it through regardless of their domesticity. They're animals at the end of the day.

The only thing seperating them from their wild counter-parts is that they generally don't eat the kill. Perhaps tear it up, but you'll rarely see a dog eating what it just killed.

Advertisement