Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Laptop HDD won't start up

Options
  • 24-04-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

After Manufacturer Logo screen just says pxe-m0f: exiting Intel pxe rom
    no bootable device -- insert boot disk.

I don't have any cds for it.

Even getting Linux installed on it would be great. My wife just wants for browsing internet. Would be a waste to just get rid of it and get new one, only 2 years old

Comments

What is your level of experience? Do you know how to do some basic things like get into the BIOS menu, create a bootable ISO etc?

What troubleshooting have you tried so far? What version of Windows was on the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭number66

What do you mean "Even getting Linux" lol. been windows free more than 6 years myself :)

have a read of http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/install-desktop-latest

you will need a working computer with an internet connection to create a live USB or DVD boot disk. once you have that it should be very easy to install as long as your HDD is still working.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

'I Kill you scum' and 'Number66' thanks for the replys

I am aware of getting into the bios but never encountered start up screen not recognising cd's with iso's or anything.
    Managed to get Ubuntu boot onto usb and then from there installed on hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Test the hard drive. The windows installation potentially died because of disk problems and no system can be rock stable if the drive is dying.

Welcome to the linux world! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

The hard drive is completely dead was making a weird beep, squeaking noise just before the computer shut off. Then thats when I started to get the problem I was having. I hooked it up externally to my own laptop and desktop and nothing, wasn't being recognized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Check the boot order in the BIOS, and if it can see a hard disk. Cheapest option is to boot live linux from a USB stick, if no disk found, or its not booting.
    Post the laptop make/model, someone will tell you which F key will give you boot options, its often F12 or F9.

Advertisement