Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Queries about cannabis

• 24-04-2013 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

5 months ago, I know someone who was caught with one gram of marijuana. This person has not yet heard back from the Gards and was wondering if anyone else has been caught with similar amounts and how long they've had to wait for. Is their a possibility that the Gards may just leave it? If not, what'd be the likely consequences? BTW, if it makes a difference, this person was caught in Dublin..

Thank y'all very much
    Tagged:

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 85 ✭✭Fr_Fitzexactly

Tis mighty stuff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

1g = £10, slap on wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

Throw the book at the dosser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

5 months? I'd say your not out of the woods yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sorry, I'd say your friend isn't out of the woods yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Did you get your oxegen ticket yet OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

What a ridiculous offence in the first place. It's his body, he can do whatever he wants with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

5-10 year stretch in the big house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

you're fukked OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

BOHtox wrote: »
    What a ridiculous offence in the first place. It's his body, he can do whatever he wants with it!

He can indeed, it's the possession of an illegal substance that's the offence. Clue is in the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Kuhnt Pounder

gallag wrote: »
    1g = £10, slap on wrist.

25 bones.

I wouldn't worry about about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

Minimum -10 years, Maximum - 20. Better go on the run to south america cause your screwed(sorry your ''mate'') is screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Czarcasm wrote: »
    He can indeed, it's the possession of an illegal substance that's the offence. Clue is in the name.

Here we go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Oh ok, that makes it an a ok offence because everyone knows the law is always right!!!!11

Now that's czarcasm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

To what offence do you think I am referring?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 its me_330

Could still b summonsed. 8 months went before i got summonsed for a measly joint. Does the person still smoke it? If not and they are brought to court and doesnt want a conviction tell d judge they dont smoke anymore. They will order a drug test which ur friend will have to pay for. If its clear it will b struck out. If they dont want d hassle plead guilty and it will b a small fine. Dats d way things work in cork anyway

25 bones.

I wouldn't worry about about it.

No way you guys are shelling out €25 a gram :-0

Holy sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

It wont just go away unfortunatly. The guard will be back, and will try and get your friend :rolleyes: to tell him who supplied him with the stuff. He's gonna say stuff like "it'l be a lot easier for you if you cooperate" "it'l look good for you in court"

The correct answer is, somebody left it behind them after a party, or I found it in a nightclub.

It most likely wont go to court for such a small amount, if it does, its a very small fine. So just relax.

All happened to a housemate. (honestly!)

No way you guys are shelling out €25 a gram :-0

Holy sh1t.
    27 bones in the wrist

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Arcsin

I can see the headline now:

Gardai seize 1 gram of cannabis with a street value of €4000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

If it does go to court, the judge should give the option of a donation to charity instead of a fine/conviction

This can only happen if it's their first drug offence

• Registered Users Posts: 35 its me_330

@boombastic
    Were payin €25 a gram in cork for proper stink or 3 grams of s**t for €50

its me_330 wrote: »
    @boombastic

:eek::eek:
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Have you ever seen Midnight Express OP? :)

its me_330 wrote: »
    @boombastic

Thats ****ing nuts!!!! Up here you can get crap like orange bud @ sub £ 10 a gram (by the oz) and the likes of haze/nycd/ak48 at £10-£12.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

1 gramm is obviously dealt with as "with intent to supply" under the "new" rules, isn't it?

:D God, ye lot must wind your mates up somthing rotten after a few pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Well you are in the crapper anyway op. You might as well go full bore in and start dealing with the cartels.

Op is your mate howard marks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Op is your mate howard marks?

Mr Nice, what a book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Excedion

Well a mate of mine was caught with 25 euros worth up in Donegal. He was told he was being cautioned but several months later he had a court summons so I wouldnt say one way or the other just yet. Really just depends on the guard who lifts you and what mood hes in.

Similarly have had friends lifted for larger amounts and got off with a slap on the wrist then others with smalls being taken to court. Much like beauty, law is in the eye of the beholder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

There's nothing to stop anyone going into an off licence and buying multiple bottles of spirits and drinking themselves into a near coma. Yet it's illegal for someone to possess a little weed.
    The people who ignore the cries for decriminalisation of cannabis should take a long hard look at themselves. It's pathetic when you think about it.

Should be ok

The convicted drug dealer faced six charges in connection with the seizure of €1.7m worth of cocaine and heroin at a transport yard in Co Louth in October 2005.

He was on bail at the time after he had been caught with €700,000 worth of cocaine and heroin in Dublin and Louth for which he was subsequently sentenced to five years in prison.

However on the last day of the court sittings in July 2008, the 2005 drugs charges against Boylan were dropped without explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miprocin

skuzzbox5 wrote: »
    5 months ago, I know someone who was caught with one gram of marijuana. This person has not yet heard back from the Gards and was wondering if anyone else has been caught with similar amounts and how long they've had to wait for. Is their a possibility that the Gards may just leave it? If not, what'd be the likely consequences? BTW, if it makes a difference, this person was caught in Dublin..

Thank y'all very much

The Guard who seized it, or friends of his, have likely smoked it by now. Relax...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

What offence to which do you think I am referring?

I presume you meant one of several-

http://www.sust.ie/legalities-drugs.php
    • The 1947 Health Act.
    • The 1961 Poisons Act.
    • The Medical Preparations Regulations 1970.
    • The Misuse of Drugs Act 1977 & 1984.
    • E.U. /International Regulations.
    • The Criminal Justice Act 1994.

But the one to which I was referring, and the one which would apply in this case, is The Misuse of Drugs Act, under which it states-

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/drug_offences.html
    Under the Misuse of Drugs Acts anyone found in possession of cannabis or cannabis resin is guilty of an offence. If the court decides that the drug was for personal use and not for sale or distribution and this was a first offence, it can impose a class D fine on summary conviction in a District Court. On conviction on indictment, the defendant can be fined €1,270. For a second offence, a class D fine may be imposed and on conviction on indictment, a fine of €2,540 can be imposed. For a third or subsequent conviction, a class C fine can be imposed. If the court decides, a prison sentence of not more than 12 months can be imposed as well. On conviction on indictment, the court may decide on an appropriate fine and/or a prison sentence of up to three years can be imposed.
    Steve O wrote: »
    Oh ok, that makes it an a ok offence because everyone knows the law is always right!!!!11

Now that's czarcasm...

I never said I agreed with the offence Steve, I'm just stating for the benefit of the OP where they stand. The law is as clear as mud, open to interpretation, and if what we're being told by the OP is actually true, they'll most likely get off with a caution. After that, well, it doesn't look like the laws are about to change any time soon either-

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2012/01/24/00383.asp

Substances which have the potential to be misused are controlled under the Misuse of Drugs Acts. The legislation prohibits the import, export, production, supply and sale, and possession of controlled drugs unless carried out in accordance with the terms of licences or regulations made under the Act.
    <A name=N4>The Government has no plans to decriminalise the possession of illicit drugs deemed to be for personal use, for a number of reasons. Significant physical and mental health risks are associated with long-term use of illicit drugs such as heroin, cocaine and cannabis. Removing or lessening criminal sanctions may likely lead to increased levels of experimentation with drugs by young people, and sustained long term use causing increased health problems in our society. Furthermore, decriminalisation at a national level rather than a European level might increase the risk of Ireland becoming a destination for “drug tourism” with consequential problems.
    The Government is satisfied that the existing penalties associated with possession of cannabis or other controlled substances, which are lesser in the case of possession for personal use, are appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Does one gram = nufforajoint?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Does one gram = nufforajoint?

Ya, with tobacco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Your friend should probably go into hiding.

You know how slow the Gardai are sending files to the DPP.

Even though your friend is their main priority, it still takes some time to process this.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

It will go to court and the Garda will estimate that the person in possession could have made 1,000,000 hand rolled herbal cannabis cigarettes from 1g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

ColeTrain wrote: »
    There's nothing to stop anyone going into an off licence and buying multiple bottles of spirits and drinking themselves into a near coma. Yet it's illegal for someone to possess a little weed.
    The people who ignore the cries for decriminalisation of cannabis should take a long hard look at themselves. It's pathetic when you think about it.

It's only a matter of time before it's legalised. Latest research even shows that a Cannapill, or Cannabis pill is better for pain relief than by even smoking it;

http://www.thehealthsphere.com/wp/?p=8529

So there's a lot of research going on and it'll eventually catch up with the State to such a point where they'll end up legalising it.

But it's true - if Cannabis was such a large threat to society you have to wonder how its detractors can possibly go out and drink socially on a Friday night without being called a hypocrite.

Advertisement