Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Needed

Options
  • 25-04-2013 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭

I don't like having to post this thread but I think I need to.

I'm a third year arts student but I've only completed 15 credits out of the required 120. My second year was a disaster. I was doing a subject combination that I really didn't enjoy and I was having a difficult time personally too.

I'm not trying to make excuses for myself though. I gave up in second year and just kind of coasted my way through. As a result I have only passed three modules and have 11 fails. My GPA is 1.06 and which is obviously appalling.

I've since changed my subject streams and I'm doing something which I actually enjoy now. I've spoken to the guidance councillors a number of times and they've given me help and advice. But I'd like to ask people here before I go back to see an advisor.

Is there anything I can do to improve my GPA or will I, at best, achieve a pass degree? I don't want to go with this to a student advisor as they've helped me enough and I don't want to sound ungrateful towards them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

the only way to increase a gpa is to pass the required modules in your course. and for f's sake go to the student advisers, its there job to help you

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Overature wrote: »
    the only way to increase a gpa is to pass the required modules in your course. and for f's sake go to the student advisers, its there job to help you
    Oh I know I have to pass my modules. I was just wondering if anyone know what kind of grades I need to get my GPA to a more respectable level.

I was just wondering if anyone here could help me before I go back to see an adviser though.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭alph

I don't mean to sound bad here but how did you reach third year with 15 credits.. in arts.. ? o_O

I always thought you needed to pass a certain amount of modules to proceed to the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Have you tried arranging a meeting with your program office?

Advertisement