Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Drink Spiking an Urban Myth or big catch all excuse?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I've never once heard of anyone who wasn't drinking alcohol getting their a soft drink spiked. It's always "I had a few drinks, but not that much".

The same amount of alcohol can affect you in different ways. You could drink 3 pints over a couple of hours and not even feel it. Drink the same amount of alcohol quickly on an empty stomach, and it can be a whole different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Pretty stupid hearing people on here say "nope, absolutely doesn't happen" "no it's just a myth" "no, just stupid drunk girls"

Ehh, it does happen. But I would agree strongly with the pharmacist poster and the post about friends working in the medical field.

I have friends working as doctors and they see a lot of alcohol abuse and no, it's not just "stupid drunk girls" :rolleyes: But on the rare occasion they do find other substances in their blood stream apart from alcohol or weed to suggest drink spiking. But it is rare.

I know of one girl who got her drink spiked at 15. She wasn't drinking alcohol at the time and she was sexually assaulted afterwards. So it does happen. It's not a 'myth', it's just relatively rare.

The Rape Crisis Centre came out and said there was not ONE confirmed case. Sedative drugs are relatively difficult to get. Did the girl you know test positive for drugs proving that she was spiked?

It isn't relatively rare in Ireland it has in fact never been proved to ever happen. That is beyond rare, it doesn't mean it is impossible to happen just it has never happened. You could say people didn't go to the guards but still statistically speaking there would be at least one case.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dogski

it definitely happens, but I have never witnessed it first hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

It does happen.

A female friend of mine woke up in the morning after a night out, couldn't remember anything after 4 or 5 o' clock the day before. Hadn't drank that much during the night.

A LOT of vomiting ensued the following day, and after a trip to the doctor it turns out it was most likely LSD. Scary stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Anecdotal evidence being treated as fact seems to be a bigger problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Anecdotal evidence being treated as fact seems to be a bigger problem.

Well, I have a friend whose brother works in the Central Statistics Office, and he was saying that it's totally acceptable to use anecdotal evidence as fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

13spanner wrote: »
    It does happen.

A female friend of mine woke up in the morning after a night out, couldn't remember anything after 4 or 5 o' clock the day before. Hadn't drank that much during the night.

A LOT of vomiting ensued the following day, and after a trip to the doctor it turns out it was most likely LSD. Scary stuff.

If it was LSD she wouldn't have been able to sleep for like 8 to 12 hours and she would've known within a short period of time that she was on acid (even if she'd never done it before and wouldn't have known what to expect). If she was with anyone they would definitely be able to distinguish between someone on acid and someone on something else (like alcohol or ecstasy or whatever drugs kids are spiking each other with these days).

Also, if it was enough for her to blackout she probably wouldn't have been able to sleep for at least a day during which time she'd have been hallucinating, and probably panicking, nonstop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

dogski wrote: »
    it definitely happens, but I have never witnessed it first hand.
    Based on what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Based on what?

Based on sweet fu<k all, as usual.

Seachmall wrote: »
    ... she'd have been hallucinating, and probably panicking, nonstop.

She was doing that much anyway. Whatever it was, it was more than drink.

She was a stranger to the place, would that make someone more of a target? :confused:

• Advertisement

She was a stranger to the place

If by "the place" you mean "reality" then it absolutely sounds like she was on acid.

If by "the place" you mean "reality" then it absolutely sounds like she was on acid.

Sounds about right. Acid, not even once :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It's 100% a myth, has never happened before. Silly drunk girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It does happen.

That is not really consistant with LSD, at all. So either the doctor doesn't know basic details of the drug or you or she made that story up.

That is not really consistant with LSD, at all. So either the doctor doesn't know basic details of the drug or you or she made that story up.

Or maybe I got it wrong? Would it be more consistent with acid tablets?

Acid is LSD

Acid is LSD

Moral of the story: I need to get more familiar with illegal narcotics :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I had my drink spiked with LSD back in the 90's. Horrible experience. I take medication for epilepsy and was freaked out that there'd be a bad reaction. There was a large group of us at the table so it had to be someone that I knew that did it.

I don't get why people would spike with stuff like LSD, obviously you like it yourself if you're buying it, why waste it on someone who isn't interested? Have a laugh with your friends in a forest somewhere instead ;)

But maybe some people just get a sick humour out of seeing people freaking out.

Funny how these stories are always happening to the third person...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Moral of the story: I need to get more familiar with illegal narcotics :pac:

Maybe you should just not repeat the half-baked memories of stories you never understood?

Zillah wrote: »
    Maybe you should just not repeat the half-baked memories of stories you never understood?

Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

Every Weekend my mate gets spiked in McGowans Phibsboro .........even thou no-one touches her drinks.......

Then she ends up with some random guy.... i mean the guy that spiked her drink :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

I think the basic premis lacks credibility.

Put yourself in the mind of the mythical date-raper.

It's a fairly elaborate, laborious and risky endeavour to get yourself effectively a corpse to fck. If someone was that desperate for a ride they would use a brasser. Rape we are told is about power and control so the rapist won't sate his sick needs with in an inaminate piece of meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

No, more consistent with antacid tablets, like Rennies.

There's been a lot of people who've had drinks spiked with these. Happened to a mate of my brother's once - he woke up with no heartburn at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

danslevent wrote: »
    I don't get why people would spike with stuff like LSD, obviously you like it yourself if you're buying it, why waste it on someone who isn't interested? Have a laugh with your friends in a forest somewhere instead ;)

But maybe some people just get a sick humour out of seeing people freaking out.
    In my case a lot of people I knew were taking it. I'm not into drugs, taking prescription drugs since I was a kid probably put me off. I'd never tried LSD so it freaked me out. A friend took me home and slept on the sofa that night. I remember lying in bed having what I thought was a nightmare. I could see all these domed buildings like what you would see in muslim countries. I remember thinking that I should wake up and then I realised that I was awake and was sitting up in bed. Each to their own but it isn't my idea of a good time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 joehig

I think some of it does be the boot leg drink , you dont know whats in it and some people just have a bad reaction to it

In my case a lot of people I knew were taking it. I'm not into drugs, taking prescription drugs since I was a kid probably put me off. I'd never tried LSD so it freaked me out. A friend took me home and slept on the sofa that night. I remember lying in bed having what I thought was a nightmare. I could see all these domed buildings like what you would see in muslim countries. I remember thinking that I should wake up and then I realised that I was awake and was sitting up in bed. Each to their own but it isn't my idea of a good time.

Bad trips can be pretty horrific, I can't imagine being in that situation unwillingly. Props to your friend though, when things aren't going well on acid it's good to know you've a friend nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

joehig wrote: »
    I think some of it does be the boot leg drink , you dont know whats in it and some people just have a bad reaction to it

Bootleg drink? I didn't know we were talking about late 19th century Tennessee here...
    when things aren't going well on acid it's good to know you've a friend nearby.
    And if you don't, I'm sure the talking walls will take care of you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Funny how these stories are always happening to the third person...

Yet the response to first person reports is skepticism.
    Madam_X wrote: »
    Especially enough vodka to cause that degree of poisoning.

There was also domaci slivovice available which is 80% alcohol by volume. I don't know for certain it was vodka, but close to two pints of vodka or other spirit in less than an hour and a half? Off you go try it...or you could just keep calling me a liar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

I think the basic premis lacks credibility.

Put yourself in the mind of the mythical date-raper.

It's a fairly elaborate, laborious and risky endeavour to get yourself effectively a corpse to fck. If someone was that desperate for a ride they would use a brasser. Rape we are told is about power and control so the rapist won't sate his sick needs with in an inaminate piece of meat.

Apparently not in the case of this inanimate piece of meat or this one

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    There was also domaci slivovice available which is 80% alcohol by volume. I don't know for certain it was vodka, but close to two pints of vodka or other spirit in less than an hour and a half? Off you go try it...or you could just keep calling me a liar.
    The domaci would probably taste roughly twice as strong. :pac:
    But just out of interest you said you had 4 pints and you're saying nearly 2 of it was vodka so the pints were half beer/half vodka and you're annoyed that people think you probably would have noticed if it was half vodka?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I never believed this happened. I dunno about you lot but when I buy drugs they're for me, why would I just give them to some randomer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Clarehobo wrote: »
    Apparently not in the case of this inanimate piece of meat or this one

Actually, the drug tests on both Nicola and her friend came up negative for anything but alcohol for the friend, and acohol and legally prescribed Xanax for Nicola. This came out at the trial. So, in fact, you are illustrating the fact that it is usually just plain over indugence in alcohol that is the problem. According to the court, neither of these girls was drugged with anything.

Actually, the drug tests on both Nicola and her friend came up negative for anything but alcohol for the friend, and acohol and legally prescribed Xanax for Nicola. This came out at the trial. So, in fact, you are illustrating the fact that it is usually just plain over indugence in alcohol that is the problem. According to the court, neither of these girls was drugged with anything.

I believe it was this point
    the rapist won't sate his sick needs with in an inaminate piece of meat.

That was being addressed. It's obviously wrong, people do drug and rape people. Andrew Luster, serial rapist and heir to Max Factor , probably being the most famous case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Well, I have a friend whose brother works in the Central Statistics Office, and he was saying that it's totally acceptable to use anecdotal evidence as fact.

You forgot to say "FACT!!" after that. That makes it official...

The domaci would probably taste roughly twice as strong. :pac:
    But just out of interest you said you had 4 pints and you're saying nearly 2 of it was vodka so the pints were half beer/half vodka and you're annoyed that people think you probably would have noticed if it was half vodka?

I think there's a bit of victim-blaming going on alright, the 'ah, sure how would you not know". Funny how when reality doesn't match up to people's expectations it is the victim of the spiking who is at fault?

I think there's a bit of victim-blaming going on alright, the 'ah, sure how would you not know". Funny how when reality doesn't match up to people's expectations it is the victim of the spiking who is at fault?
    That's an excellent point. Oh wait, no it isn't.

That's an excellent point. Oh wait, no it isn't.

What an excellent rebuttal! Oh, wait.

Is there a point somewhere?

So to spell it out. The fact I didn't taste what I was spiked with, means it was my fault. Is that the line people are taking?

So to spell it out. The fact I didn't taste what I was spiked with, means it was my fault. Is that the line people are taking?

As much as you'd like it to be, no it's not.

• Advertisement

As much as you'd like it to be, no it's not.

Would you like to make your point then, instead of incoherent digs? If you are so inarticulate that you cannot, then don't be suprised if I make it for you.

Would you like to make your point then, instead of incoherent digs? If you are so inarticulate that you cannot, then don't be suprised if I make it for you.

I, and others seemingly, find it hard to believe that there was enough vodka spread through 4 points to get you in such a state but that you wouldn't notice it. You've since specified that there was enough vodka, apparently it was half vodka. I don't believe for a second that you drank 4 pints of what you thought were beer but were actually half vodka and didn't notice that they tasted a bit different than they usually did.

But hey, maybe my being inarticulate is made up for by my apparently excellent tastebuds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

I, and others seemingly, find it hard to believe that there was enough vodka spread through 4 points to get you in such a state but that you wouldn't notice it. You've since specified that there was enough vodka, apparently it was half vodka. I don't believe for a second that you drank 4 pints of what you thought were beer but were actually vodka and didn't notice that they tasted a bit different than they usually did.

But hey, maybe my being inarticulate is made up for by my apparently excellent tastebuds.

I agree - I've had beer with a shot of whiskey and other spirits (willingly :P).
    And even that one shot overwhelms the taste of the beer. So if there were 2 or more shots in it then it would taste terribly strong. I've never mixed beer and vodka though, maybe vodka doesn't have as strong a taste as whiskey etc

I, and others seemingly, find it hard to believe that there was enough vodka spread through 4 points to get you in such a state but that you wouldn't notice it. You've since specified that there was enough vodka, apparently it was half vodka. I don't believe for a second that you drank 4 pints of what you thought were beer but were actually vodka and didn't notice that they tasted a bit different than they usually did.

Here are the facts.
    I have no idea what was in the pints. I was told later it was vodka.
    I drank four pints. I necked the first one having just finished a shift.
    I woke up in a a hospital.

That apparently is the consequence of my poor tastebuds according to you and I am somehow at fault for it.

I wonder have you ever speculated on if a rape was down to poor dress sense?

Odysseus wrote: »
    The cases that end up being treated by the sexual assualt clinics show that the a persons drink is generally spiked with alcohol. That last report/statement they issued that I know about was approx 18 months ago and they had no actual positive results at that stage.

So it appears to be a myth in Ireland in anyway.

Isn't it also the case that rohypnol is metabolised by the body very quickly and that drug tests are usually carried out too late to find traces?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Here are the facts.
    You said above that it was close to 2 pints of vodka, I don't think that that happened.
    That apparently is the consequence of my poor tastebuds according to you and I am somehow at fault for it.
    Apparently not noticing the taste was down to your poor taste buds.
    I love how online if you question someone's story you're accused of being a rape denier/apologist within a few minutes. Excellent debating skillz.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

Here are the facts.

Who said you were at fault for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Candie wrote: »
    Isn't it also the case that rohypnol is metabolised by the body very quickly and that drug tests are usually carried out too late to find traces?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

No, Rohypnol is a benzo and is not metabolised that quick. Depending on the type of benzo and the subject it takes from a few days to over a week.

The days of Rohypnol being used in such a way are long gone, it just cannot be used that way anymore. The best drugs to put some out would be benzo or bards but they are next to impossible to get, whereas benzos are much more common.

You said above that it was close to 2 pints of vodka, I don't think that that happened.
    I speculated. Years later I still have no real understanding of how enough alchohol got in my system to cause acute alcohol poisioning.

Apparently not noticing the taste was down to your poor taste buds.
    Again, I'd suggest you try a double blind taste test before assuming.
    I love how online if you question someone's story you're accused of being a rape denier/apologist within a few minutes. Excellent debating skillz.

Who's fault was the spiking? You appear to be an apologist for the spiker by claiming I should have tasted it.

• Advertisement

Who said you were at fault for it?

There have been repeated comments about how;

1. It could not have happened
    2. I should have tasted it

Advertisement