Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTRB Registration

Options
  • 25-04-2013 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭

Was looking at a house and the Landlord says that "PRTB application is 90 euro on top" of the security deposit. Was wondering what exactly is that for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Landlords are required to register all tenancies with the PRTB. http://public.prtb.ie/fees.htm

It is abnormal for the landlord to ask the tenant to pay. It suggests the wrong type of landlord. If you really want the place, get them to waive it in exchange for agreeing to stay X months.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

As a landlord he must be registered with the PRTB. This is a legal requirement as they must register each tenancy within one month. This is not something he ahould be asking you to pay. They will be asking you to pay water rates and property tax in no time !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Yeah I've never had to pay it before. Maybe I read the description incorrectly. The landlord doesn't seem very open minded either :p . Thanks for clearing that up guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

As a landlord he must be registered with the PRTB. This is a legal requirement as they must register each tenancy within one month. This is not something he ahould be asking you to pay. They will be asking you to pay water rates and property tax in no time !!

This sense of entitlement I don't get, the tenant uses the water, why shouldn't they pay for it. If the tenant buys their own house they now pay for the water.

The same thing with the household charge & property taxes - property tax is exactly what it says, a property tax, so the owner of the house should pay. A household charge is there to pay for local services which the house occupier (tenant or resident owner) uses - so they should pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Run a mile. PRTB charge is not the tenants responsibility to pay.

It was good of him to put a big flashing warning sign in the ad to nofity people that he is a bit of a cowboy I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

You could pay the fee but reduce the monthly rent accordingly. Similarly, if you have to pay water fees and property tax, adjust the rent to cater for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

stooge wrote: »
    You could pay the fee but reduce the monthly rent accordingly. Similarly, if you have to pay water fees and property tax, adjust the rent to cater for this.
    There is nothing in the law that nullifies the tenants first obligation in the RTA 2004 Section 16:
    (a) pay to the landlord or his or her authorised agent (or any
    other person where required to do so by any
    enactment)—
    (i) the rent provided for under the tenancy concerned on
    the date it falls due for payment
    , and
    (ii) where the lease or tenancy agreement provides that any charges or taxes are payable by the tenant, pay those charges or taxes in accordance with the lease or tenancy agreement (unless provision to that effect in the lease or tenancy agreement is unlawful or contravenes any other enactment),

And in clause ii) above, if a landlord wants to include the PRTB fee, he may do so. However, it is the tenant's choice whether to accept that as a condition of the tenancy. If he disagrees then do not rent from that landlord.

As has been stated by previous posters, the PRTB fee is normally paid by the landlord and any landlord wanting the tenant to pay would not be getting me as a tenant (unless, possibly, I considered the rent to be very reasonable and below market rent).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Do tenants really expect to not be paying the water rates?!! Why would you assume that something that you are being charged based on your usage would be the responsibility of the landlord to pay?

Similarly the property tax; while I dont expect to be handed a bill from the landlord (and would hand it straight back if I was), you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think that rents will not rise, even slightly, in accordance with the property tax charge. Any associated tax/charge that a landlord incurs in relation to a rental property is ultimately going to be passed onto the tenant sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

AVOID this Landlord OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

djimi wrote: »
    Similarly the property tax; while I dont expect to be handed a bill from the landlord (and would hand it straight back if I was), you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think that rents will not rise, even slightly, in accordance with the property tax charge. Any associated tax/charge that a landlord incurs in relation to a rental property is ultimately going to be passed onto the tenant sooner or later.

Rents should have the €200 NPPR, €100 household charge and in the case of new lettings, this year's LPT built-in. For properties worth €150,000 or less (€150,000 or less next year or 2015), there should be no change this year.

Have a look here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83796040&postcount=26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The PRTB charge is the LL responsibility.

Water charges will be the same as any other utility bill and payable by the tenants.

The property tax should have been a household charge and is a complete scam that it was changed. It doesn't really mater it is here.

Do not be surprised when the change it back or introduce it on top of property tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Victor wrote: »
    Rents should have the €200 NPPR, €100 household charge and in the case of new lettings, this year's LPT built-in. For properties worth €150,000 or less (€150,000 or less next year or 2015), there should be no change this year.

Have a look here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83796040&postcount=26

A difficulty for a landlord is if the rent raised is already insufficient to cover mortgage, tax, insurance and maintenance. Any increase in rent just comes off the landlord's burden of those costs and won't go anywhere near NPPR or LPT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

A difficulty for a landlord is if the rent raised is already insufficient to cover mortgage, tax, insurance and maintenance. Any increase in rent just comes off the landlord's burden of those costs and won't go anywhere near NPPR or LPT
    Unfortunately, the "market rent" is defined as what a tenant is willing to pay and what a landlord is willing to accept for a vacant property. There is no mention of a relationship between the landlord's costs and the "market rent".

A landlord cannot justify his rent by his expenses plus a profit margin. The higher the landlord's expenses, the less profit he makes and in many cases, that profit is, in fact, non-existent - it is a loss.

Advertisement