Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Realism Sucks

• 25-04-2013 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

Going from this:

Chrono-Trigger-Screenshots-6.jpg

to this:

ps4_quantic_dream_head_demo.jpg

Is a disgrace to the men and women behind these studios skills as Artist to have to belittle to such abominations just to cater to a certain bunch of demographics that need a much more surreal tone just to feel part of a universe.

Applause for the people from ubisoft, nintendo and from software who allow there creative talents to show true genius and art that felt natural like the air we breath to this atrocity.

If i wanted to admire an old man in awe David Cage i go outside.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Excellent post

10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Is that Jimmy Savile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i'm lost, what's this about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

JAYSON!?! JAYSON?!? JAYSUUUUN?!?

(now with more realistic faces)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

English please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

congress3 wrote: »
    English please?

Realistic art is less interesting art. I could probably do up a quick explanatory video with sock puppets dressed as pirates if that'd help any further?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sarky wrote: »
    I could probably do up a quick explanatory video with sock puppets dressed as pirates if that'd help any further?

Please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yeah, I'm still little unclear too. I think sock puppets would be best alright.

Good man, Sarky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Arse. You'll have to wait until the weekend so I'll have some clean socks to film then. Unless I do CGI socks. With resolution and texture detail so high you can see the individual threads! Yeah! There'll be no range of emotions my virtual socks can't... emote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I liked Heavy rain and Fahrenheit but I also like art style like on Yoshi's island.

There is a place for both.

Take LA Noire. Not the perfect game by any means, hell it's not even a good game really but Photo realism can definitely enhance gameplay and immersiveness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

8 bit sock sprites plz.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ceiteach

Quite a pretentious post. Plenty of room for both. Lots of indie devs in particular have found recent success going down a more traditionally animated route too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Championing this:

Chrono-Trigger-Screenshots-6.jpg

instead of this:

ps4_quantic_dream_head_demo.jpg

Is a disgrace to the men and women behind these studios skills as Artist to have to belittle to such abominations just to cater to a certain bunch of demographics.

Applause for the people from ubisoft, Crytek and Epic who allow there creative talents to show true genius and art that felt natural like the air we breath to this atrocity.

If i wanted no advancement in graphics technology, Nintendo, I'd go play my Atari 2600.

Oh ANTI-richymcdermott, why must you tear others down so? Not everyone shares your uncompromising views for photo-realism!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is a disgrace to the men and women behind these studios skills as Artist to have to belittle to such abominations just to cater to a certain bunch of demographics that need a much more surreal tone just to feel part of a universe.

How it is a disgrace or an atrocity? There's plenty of room for both realistic and artistic art in games. And just because you have a realistic character model, doesn't mean that a game can't be artistically brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd choose more vivid, fantastical art styles a majority of the time, but there's plenty of room for both. Something like LA Noire also teases the potential of the kind of thing that might be done with credibly emotive character models in future - as flawed as that game was, the tech was surprisingly rich for a rough draft.

And having spent a few hours with Ni No Kuni last night, I don't think I'd herald the death of the unique, colourful artstyle just yet. Bioshock Infinite, Proteus and plenty of other releases (Nintendo's entire output, really) so far this year very distinctly steer well away from photorealism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭KilOit

Loved the style borderlands went with, it just doesn't age as fast.
    Wouldn't fear developers going doing the realistic route just yet, still lots of arty games coming out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Right it's early and I've about 5 coffees to go before I fully wake up, so I'm having difficulty in working out if this is a joke thread or if someone actually believes that we can only have one of two graphic styles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

humanji wrote: »
    Right it's early and I've about 5 coffees to go before I fully wake up, so I'm having difficulty in working out if this is a joke thread or if someone actually believes that we can only have one of two graphic styles.

you need to irish up that coffee more...;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

you need to irish up that coffee more...;)

And rasher up that irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'll use the rasher like a flake in an icecream.

• Advertisement

This thread has now made me hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

This thread has now made me hungry.

For icecream, flakes and rashers? :pac:

Big Knox wrote: »
    For icecream, flakes and rashers? :pac:

All of them. At the same time. Its gonna be the oddest breakfast I've ever had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I guess gamers will bitch about everything these days. As far as I see there are both styles in the market to please both sides. Why just have one or another...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I guess gamers will bitch about everything these days. As far as I see there are both styles in the market to please both sides. Why just have one or another...

Gamers, book worms, movie watchers, politicians..

humans in general. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

can we name games with food in them or change titles to sound foody like

Metal Beer Solid

Call of Fruity

Meat Fighter II

Command and Conquer: Bread Alert

Cod of War

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

So what your saying is that instead of having many different art styles we should just stick to blocky sprites from 1992 ?

Your also forgetting photorealism allows for cool stuff like this

Skyrim_game_world.jpg

oops its in more than 32 colors though, guess I'd better not fight that dragon

I like both styles myself, but on the whole, i am most immersed in realistic worlds rather than cute sprites, its easier to relate to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

As long as the game is fun, who gives a flying you-know-what? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'd love to see games with their own distinct, fantastical style more -- as long as it suits the game. Battlefield 3 needs to look the way it does and it works for it. FTL also looks perfect for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You seem to be under the impression that making something look realistic is easy, it's not. It probably takes more work and artistry crossing more fields than simple drawing. It's like saying the people that made Egyptian hieroglyphs were better artists than those in the renaissance because the renaissance artists paintings were much more realistic.

Advertisement