Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

fr336 wrote: »
    Researchers at Oxford University have done a study on the jobs most likely to be taken over by robots / computers within two decades. Pilots and engineers not very likely (25%), aircraft maintenance not very likely (35%), air traffic controller quite unlikely (7%).

Their was a study out a few months back that had pilots gone in less than two decades and it is something you could see happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

two decades and it is something you could see happening.
    Ah well, i will have retired by then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Their was a study out a few months back that had pilots gone in less than two decades and it is something you could see happening.

without any working prototypes that study is based on nothing, worth nothing and is telling us no more than your average sci-fi movie.. It took google 10 years to get self driving cars to where they are now - and where they are is that most of them have crashed at some point - although google claims that none of the accidents have been caused by cars themselves, it is clear that the robots are very limited when it comes to accident prevention due to someone else's fault.

To make pilot-less aircraft somewhat safe you need them to be driven by artificial intelligence - when crisis happens in midair you need your machine to be capable on making decisions without key information or ability to tell true information from false (your typical unreliable airspeed indication scenario as an example) and so on. You almost need you machine to be able to learn as it goes.

Your google car can stop if it can't handle a certain scenario and wait for Tech support - an airplane can't.. Robots can only solve problems they are programmed to solve. AI could figure out a workaround for something they were not prepared for, just as human pilots do

This raises the next question - how close are we to an true AI and is it possible at all? Scientists have been cracking this nut for more than 50 years with marginal results, I simply don't see one "plane-ready" in less than 2 decades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Just something I saw flicking through twitter as I have my afternoon coffee. The new Berlin airport which has been plagued with construction problems so far has hit another serious glitch. Construction stopped as they are concerned extraction fans have compromised the integrity of the roof! http://www.focus.de/finanzen/news/dach-zu-schwer-bauaufsicht-stoppt-bauarbeiten-am-flughafen-ber_id_4962632.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Just read the last post on the AL cadets thread, sad to see that although the cadetship will be paid for, they're allowing a few be charged for the assessment. It seems they've also joined the slippery slope into squeezing as much as they can out of people who want to make a career on the flight deck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Lustrum wrote: »
    Just read the last post on the AL cadets thread, sad to see that although the cadetship will be paid for, they're allowing a few be charged for the assessment. It seems they've also joined the slippery slope into squeezing as much as they can out of people who want to make a career on the flight deck

Having to pay a small amount to sit assessments is a small price to pay for what is a privileged career.

It also serves to weed out those who may not be all that interested.

The Telegraph are rocking with their ignorance of aviation, this flight must be flying backwards....

plane-window_3448686k.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/4973350/20-stupid-questions-asked-by-tourists.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,249 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You wouldnt expect an article that bad from Waterford Whispers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

And they show Yosemite for Carlsbad Caverns National Park. I wish this was some quality trolling by someone in the graphic design dept (I would) but doubt it highly.

it's a funny article and they've put a funny picture next to it, I don't understand what the problem is? It's a stock photo anyway and been around the web for a while now...

good thing they didn't publish this, I wonder would you explode then?
    sasivrs__noname.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭christy c

Just saw that FR have appointed Greg O'Gorman as head of ancillary revenue, former head of ancillary revenue at easyjet . Not hugely significant but I'm sure they're happy to have poached one from the competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

breakingnews.ie are getting as bad as the daily mail. They must have someone reading the flightradar24 thread here. The leading story is about ANOTHER flight having to turn back... jaysus.

Spotted on joe.ie.....the boss himself checking boarding passes at DUB today :D

https://twitter.com/GaryDunne/status/651289527890391040

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Spotted on joe.ie.....the boss himself checking boarding passes at DUB today :D

https://twitter.com/GaryDunne/status/651289527890391040

He was doing the same on the 07:00 to Brussels last Friday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

CRHDcCpWoAAcaDo.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    He was doing the same on the 07:00 to Brussels last Friday morning.

He's checked me in on flights to Manchester. Got someone to grab my carry on for me because I was on crutches and all, and this was before they became the 'cuddly' Ryanair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Flying transatlantic again today, this time to Canada. In a 757 which is a first. Feels weird flying so far on a narrow body. Anxiety rising! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Feels weird flying so far on a narrow body.

did that 4 years ago, DUB to JFk. Very strange all right.

2 hour lay over then a 757 to LA.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

If you look in more depth, you'd be surprised just how many 757's are flying across the Atlantic every day, even more since they added the winglets that improve the performance.

From Ireland, it's rare for there to be wind problems, some of the longer routes from further across Europe, when they're going westbound and the winds at upper levels are strong, they sometimes have to drop in to somewhere like Shannon or Gander for a fuel top up. Other than that, there's no issues, and the aircraft doesn't know it's flying over water for most of the flight :D

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

faceman wrote: »
    Flying transatlantic again today, this time to Canada. In a 757 which is a first. Feels weird flying so far on a narrow body. Anxiety rising! :o

And no wifi to keep us entertained as you travel across the pond

Tenger wrote: »
    And no wifi to keep us entertained as you travel across the pond

At €10.99 for an hour I wouldn't be using it anyway :)

Carnacalla wrote: »
    At €10.99 for an hour I wouldn't be using it anyway :)

I think Faceman gets to charge it to work and pays the E18 for the whole flight

I just checked there, its actually €8 for an hour and €15 for the flight. Not as bad....but still fairly hefty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Greetings from Toronto. Flight was grand actually although was a little choppy coming into land due to weather. No wifi unfortunately and had a great seat in the first row after business. I could see the turbine rotating in the engine nacelle!

Really feel the power during take off. Felt awesome!

There was clunks during taxi that I hadn't heard before on other jets. Didn't sound like the brakes. Would it be something to do with rudders? Couldn't figure out a pattern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jimbis

Can anyone tell me is it possible to find what particular aircraft my family will be flying on Monday? They're flying aer lingus to lanzarote which I'm assuming will be an a320.
    I was just hoping it would be one of the RWC or retro jet? Just so I could let the kids know in advance so I can be the super cool uncle :D:D

I don't have the flight number but I'll get it if needed.

The flight number is usually needed yes, as there can often be more than one Aer Lingus flight to lanzarote a day, either a second from Dublin or one from Cork or Shannon. On mondays though theres only 1, which is EI778. This route has been flown by an A321 for the past week and is likely to continue an A321 until at least monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

man dies in strange way on board Aer Lingus aircraft, plane Lison to Dublin diverted to Cork http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1018/735740-plane-diverted-to-cork-airport-after-man-dies-on-b/ tweeter on plane?
    Pedro Guerreiro ‏@PedroAGuerr 2h2 hours ago
    https://twitter.com/PedroAGuerr/status/655807521907539968
    Voo Lisboa-Dublin EI485 aterrou em Cork devido a emergência médica. Fonte a bordo: melhor irmão do mundo @saveknut.
    Translated from Portuguese by Bing

Lisbon-Dublin flight EI485 landed in Cork due to a medical emergency. Source: best brother in the world @saveknut.

Very sad and traumatic for passengers on board and very sad for the families. I heard the flight requesting an ambulance on ATC.

More flying today. This time on a 767 with Air Canada to US West Coast. One of those adventures where everything is alien to me. The airport, airline etc. Oh me nerves! :o

• Advertisement

More flying today. This time on a 767 with Air Canada to US West Coast. One of those adventures where everything is alien to me. The airport, airline etc. Oh me nerves! :o

I always thought it was BA Baracus, that had the problem with flying. :D

OK...... I've already got my coat on and I'm heading for the door

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭sully2010

The 767 is a lovely bird to fly on, very comfortable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Bsal

I recently found this great youtube channel with excellent aviation/pilot related content all made by a Ryanair pilot, thought I would share it here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwpHKudUkP5tNgmMdexB3ow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Bsal wrote: »
    I recently found this great youtube channel with excellent aviation/pilot related content all made by a Ryanair pilot, thought I would share it here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwpHKudUkP5tNgmMdexB3ow

He is a legend, been watching him from the start. Pity there is not more like him, possibly due to company SOP's.

Greetings from 35,000 feet. Flying to Ireland and hitting some rough turbulence over the US. Even the crew had tot take their seats. (Wifi works though so I can totally post my ramblings.) Anyone got spare pants?? :o

Oh and if anyone has any insight as to how long the turbulence will last... SFO - DUB

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭sully2010

Greetings from 35,000 feet. Flying to Ireland and hitting some rough turbulence over the US. Even the crew had tot take their seats. (Wifi works though so I can totally post my ramblings.) Anyone got spare pants?? :o

Oh and if anyone has any insight as to how long the turbulence will last... SFO - DUB

You fly a lot chief, are you not used to the humps and bumps by now?

sully2010 wrote: »
    You fly a lot chief, are you not used to the humps and bumps by now?

Only marginally. It's the yang to my ying. Love the travelling, hate the getting there.

..... Flying to Ireland and hitting some rough turbulence over the US. Even the crew had tot take their seats.......

That's pretty bad then....EI are usually quite relaxed towards turbulence. Nearly home now though

Anyone got spare pants?? :o

try amazon drone delivery service :)

• Advertisement

Anyone got spare pants?? :o
    Might these help? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jimbis

Britains ultimate pilots starting now on bbc2. A look into the red arrows.

Last minute I know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

jimbis wrote: »
    Britains ultimate pilots starting now on bbc2. A look into the red arrows.

Last minute I know :D

First minute actually :pac:

Spotted on twitter. JFK-SNN flight

https://twitter.com/nevri/status/663328836428386304

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Spotted on twitter. JFK-SNN flight

https://twitter.com/nevri/status/663328836428386304

653kts? That's nearly the speed of sound:D

Reminds me of the discussion with OwenC from last year:D:pac::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Pfft

Trying to find my photo of doing M0.87 into Dublin, but can't at the minute. Will look tomorrow.

Attached pic is over the North Atlantic in a 777F doing 665kts groundspeed.

• Advertisement

Ryanair took it's 375th delivery from Boeing today, EI-FIZ. I wonder did they open a bottle of FIZ to celebrate.......?

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/boeing-ryanair-celebrate-milestone-375th-next-generation-737-800-delivery-300176671.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Ryanair took it's 375th delivery from Boeing today, EI-FIZ. I wonder did they open a bottle of FIZ to celebrate.......?

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/boeing-ryanair-celebrate-milestone-375th-next-generation-737-800-delivery-300176671.html

And many more to come:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Lockheed

copied from facebook:
    Virgn Atlantic's Last Scheduled London Heathrow Boeing 747 Service in Jan 2016 is as follows:
    Virgin Atlantic in last week’s schedule update once again accelerates planned last London Heathrow-based Boeing 747-400 operation. Previously scheduled on 20FEB16, last LHR 747-400 operation is now scheduled on 11JAN16.
    London Heathrow – Miami
    VS005 LHR1315 – 1805MIA 744 D
    VS006 MIA2115 – 1045+1LHR 744 D
    VS005/006 747-400 service will be replaced a mix of A330-300 and Boeing 787-9. Boeing 787-9 service entry on this route will also move forward to 12JAN16 with various weekly frequencies
    London Heathrow – New York JFK
    VS009 LHR1600 – 1905JFK 744 D
    VS010 JFK2130 – 0935+1LHR 744 D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Lustrum

:eek:

https://gma.yahoo.com/ex-pilot-sues-allegiant-malicious-firing-emergency-evacuation-132448481--abc-news-topstories.html#

Allegiant Airlines Capt. Jason Kinzer was feeling tense.

It was June 8. With the smell of acrid smoke filling his cabin, he’d just made an emergency landing at Florida's St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport, where ground fire crews had informed him that his No. 1 engine was smoking. Despite cutting power to the engine, the smell hadn’t dissipated, Kinzer said, and he was worried about his 141 passengers.

Allegiant Pilot Low on Gas Declares Fuel Emergency After Runway Closure
    Allegiant Passengers Forced to Evacuate Plane as Smell of Fuel Fills Cabin
    An unidentified voice on his radio had advised him to hold off on evacuating the plane, then ceased transmission. But without knowing the source of the directive or what was going on with the jet, Kinzer was wary.

He knew an emergency evacuation could be risky. But a smoky plane can be risky, too.

“This is a tough corner to be backed in because you have very little information and you may have a very small amount of time to get it right. ... How long do you wait?” Kinzer said in an exclusive interview with ABC News’ David Kerley. “I felt the best decision was to get them to safety and get them away from an airplane that was smoking.”

So he popped the emergency slides and ordered an evac.

Six weeks later, he was fired.

You’re Fired

In a copy of Kinzer’s termination letter, provided to ABC News, Allegiant called the evacuation of Flight 864 “entirely unwarranted” and stated that Kinzer had failed in his duty to “operat[e] each aircraft safely, smoothly and efficiently and striv[e] to preserve the company’s assets.”

Several passengers had sustained minor injuries during the evacuation, and two were transported to a local hospital, according to airport records.

Still, Kinzer maintains the decision to evacuate was the “safer choice.”

Retaliation? Kinzer Files Suit

In a lawsuit filed Thursday, Kinzer’s lawyer claims Allegiant ousted Kinzer “maliciously” because he hadn’t prioritized company assets and negative media exposure above passenger wellbeing.

“It’s very clear to me that their prime directive is profit, not passenger safety,” Kinzer told Kerley.

The company told ABC News they were not able to comment on specific employment matters like Kinzer’s, but maintained it is "standard practice only to terminate individuals when we believe it to be the only reasonable outcome based on their conduct or performance."

View galleryEx-Pilot Sues Allegiant for 'Malicious' Firing …
    Ex-Pilot Sues Allegiant for 'Malicious' Firing After Emergency Evacuation (ABC News)
    “However, at Allegiant we have a culture that values the safety of our passengers and crew above all else,” the airline said in a statement. “We do not ever take termination lightly and ensure that a thorough investigation, collecting facts from all stakeholders, is conducted before any decision is made.”

According to the lawsuit, Allegiant may have disregarded a Federal Aviation Administration regulation that places the responsibility for emergency decision-making with the pilot. Kinzer said that’s part of the reason he’s suing the airline.

“It’s important to me that we set a tone that safety should always be a pilot’s decision,” Kinzer said. “I want to leave safety in the hands of air crews.”

A ‘Dangerous’ Message

Moreover, the suit alleges that Kinzer’s termination “sends a dangerous warning message to other Allegiant Air pilots to place corporate financial concerns and profits as a priority over safety of the passengers, crew, and the general public in times of an emergency.”

“At no point should an air crew ever be forced to think about retribution or what may come of a decision in the interest of safety just because it may cost an airline a little bit of media exposure or perhaps a few bucks,” Kinzer said.

“It’s just not right to set a tone where an air crew had to worry about their job, their livelihood, their families over making a safety related decision,” he added.

Since his firing, Kinzer has been “blackballed” by the industry, the suit alleges. Though he says he had a clean flight record prior to the June 8 incident, he’s been unable to find a job.

Allegiant’s PR Problem

Kinzer’s lawsuit is just the latest in a series of public relations crises for the discount airline, which has been beset by issues since the summer.

A low-fuel emergency landing in Fargo and an aborted takeoff in Las Vegas drew increased scrutiny from the FAA. And an industry union said it had identified 65 instances of maintenance-related issues, including aborted takeoffs, diversions, and gate returns, in just seven months.

But the company says its planes are safe.

“Allegiant is a safe airline,” it said in a statement. “We are proud of our safety record and we are committed to advancing a culture of safety and continuous improvement throughout the organization.”

Following the incident in Fargo, Allegiant said it works closely with the FAA and was not made aware of heightened FAA surveillance.

The airline also criticized the union report, which it says was prepared by people who had "never examined any aircraft in Allegiant’s fleet."

Regardless, Kinzer and his attorney, Mike Pangea, say they believe Allegiant resented the increased media scrutiny prompted by his emergency landing.

“When you look at the record that this airline has been having -- which rightfully causes them embarrassment -- this is another episode that brings attention,” Pangia told ABC News.

“They did not terminate Captain Kinzer because he made what they considered to be a bad decision as far as safety,” Pangia added, “but he made a ‘bad decision’ as far as exposing the company to embarrassment.”

Remind me to stay away from these guys. Everyone in our place gives out about management, but this really takes the biscuit!

Fired to ordering an evacuation when there was smoke in the cabin? How does an airline think they can get away with that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement