Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Maybe they just prefer living closer to home.

26484352340_00cb8df1a4_c.jpg

26663949852_dd719d90ce_c.jpg

26732155936_4d400020ea_c.jpg

Showing the ability to control the window colour.

26151475684_25ecd0f349_c.jpg

This aircraft was entered service 4 days before this flight, so it still had that "new car" smell :):)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

smurfjed wrote: »
    This aircraft was entered service 4 days before this flight, so it still had that "new car" smell :):)
    Nice one.
    Have only had the pleasure of being on a less than one week old aircraft maybe 3 times. Lovely fresh smell in those cabins.
    In fact the current oldest A330 in the EI fleet was one of those, was on her 3rd or 4th revenue flight. (Shows how old I am)

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I'm in a hotel in Slough. Thought I'd get to see some Heathrow action, but I'm on the 1st floor of the wrong side of the hotel :/:D
    Did spot a 380 taking off earlier, hadn't really seen one before. A lumbering beast so it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,007 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Looks like I'm getting Green Spirit on a trip over to Gatwick this morning. Despite hundreds of EI flights I've never got the special liveries before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

L1011 wrote: »
    Looks like I'm getting Green Spirit on a trip over to Gatwick this morning. Despite hundreds of EI flights I've never got the special liveries before

myself and DEO are like magnets over the last year or so always seem to be getting that aircraft... what I never seem to get is the newer EI birds like DVM etc.. with the nicer more modern interiors... the other one is CVA that I seem to get a lot.. an old bird but in good nick on the inside anyway... Not a fan of EZW that I was on the first time to Gatwick the other week... seats are the ex-virgin ones... uncomfortable and crap

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Back flying to SFO today albeit without the luxury of gold circle thanks to EI making a haims of the transition to the new loyalty scheme.

How's the weather en route? Did I need to pack the extra set of pants for the flight? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

385969.png

after reading the comment section I honestly fear that one day one of those morons will get a shotgun and will start shooting on small planes because "it's up to the pilot to turn chems on"

Some crazy's in that group. So apparently anyone going overhead in an aircraft is "a bastard"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

That group of head cases were protesting outside the Met Éireann office a few weeks ago with incomprehensible posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

I wonder how these people travel to their foreign holiday destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

jimbis wrote: »

I doubt they fit into the regular holiday go-er demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Probably all pile into a smelly old camper van that belches out fumes and drops oil all over the road as it goes along. :D

I'm extremely impressed that an Aztec PA23-250 aircraft has the fuel capacity for that duration of a flight as well as having sufficient chemicals to disperse. :angel:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Handsome Brute

Strange, I must have missed the lesson while I was doing my PPL that showed you how to ''turn the chems on''

27089805465_10ba31e5b2_c.jpg

B787 Door Trainer

27089748935_1fb9aafe6d_c.jpg

B777 Slide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

How did Aer Lingus' 80th birthday pass by with so little mention on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Shannon757 wrote: »
    How did Aer Lingus' 80th birthday pass by with so little mention on here?

In fairness EI done their best to downplay it,hardly mentioned it other than a few retweets of congratulations from other airlines and airports. Given it would have cost very little to publicise and would have generated some positive PR for them I don't understand their logic at all.

Just thought to post this here, it s link to the Itish Times obituary of Darby O Kennedy:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/darby-kennedy-a-founding-father-of-civil-aviation-in-ireland-1.2671446

• Registered Users Posts: 69,007 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Santiago de Compostella is a lovely airport that seems to have been built for about twenty times the traffic it handles. Landed and there were two other aircraft visible on the entire apron - a cargo ATR and a Nostrum CRJ200!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

L1011 wrote: »
    Santiago de Compostella is a lovely airport that seems to have been built for about twenty times the traffic it handles. Landed and there were two other aircraft visible on the entire apron - a cargo ATR and a Nostrum CRJ200!

Spain and airports is an interesting topic:D

City in the sky on BBC2 at 9. All about ATC I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

There is now a live streaming webcam for the approach at Manchester Airport. HD quality and with audio. Unfortunately there's a £3 per month charge to use it, and not sure what you'd see when the runway direction is different (well departures rather than arrivals, but rather high up!) http://www.manchesterairport.live/ for anyone interested.

P.S. £30 for a year's sub, or 50p for a day. There is also a 2 day trial, though not sure if you have to enter payment details for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

City in the sky on BBC2 at 9. All about ATC I think.

Last episode tonight, same bat time same bat channel. :D

Last episode tonight, same bat time same bat channel. :D

It was very good tonight. Wish there were more in the series.:(

Another aviation show!

"Ready for Takeoff" a show about Qantas on TV3 at 8:30 tonight.

I know there have been threads on this before and I don't want to start a new one but has anyone got any recommendations for a good scanner less than €150?

I know there have been threads on this before and I don't want to start a new one but has anyone got any recommendations for a good scanner less than €150?

No?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

No?

Give Mech1 a shout on here, he runs the DUB ATC feed, i'm sure he would know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

No?

it really depends whether you need a scanner or a receiver. What's the difference? You can get a cheap Chinese baofeng for less than 40€ that will receive programmed frequencies no worse than anything else.. scanning is a different activity altogether. You need your scanner to have the sensitivity and selectivity to be able to wizz through the bands with ridiculous speed and stop wherever there's activity.. those things cost money!

as we are in aviation forum, I assume you're ok with programming the know frequencies yourself.. in that case it's all about the antenna.. nothing to do with a device.. just get whatever device money can buy that allow to connect a decent discone antenna etc.. if I havent bored you to death by now, feel free to continue the topic with your requirements and we might as well find you a perfect kit within your budget

*/nerd out/*

Advertisement