Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/airport-ambulance-driver-launching-suit-after-ryanair-plane-almost-struck-her-after-she-was-cleared-to-cross-runway-35112476.html

one might ask - what are you doing behind the steering wheel of an ambulance van if you can't deal with incidents and stress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I'd imagine the prospect of getting flattened by a 737 would tend to concentrate the mind a bit more than just dealing with the odd unruly airport passenger.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The prospect of being flattened by a 737 should not have even occurred, whatever about a mix up between ATC controllers, it's SOP for vehicle drivers (and pilots. just to avoid the inevitable brickbats) to check and look both ways before entering or crossing a runway, so this should have been a non event.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Stovepipe wrote: »
    I'd imagine the prospect of getting flattened by a 737 would tend to concentrate the mind a bit more than just dealing with the odd unruly airport passenger.

what if there's a crash and our hero driver needs to attend a scene of burning wreckage to help out survivors as soon as possible.. would the prospect of tanks blowing up or van catching fire be any less a stressor? Its a dangerous job that requires the right aptitude and set of nerves. I really hope she's not working there anymore.. next thing you know you will have railway workers suing dart for passing by too quickly or garda suing teens for being quite frankly scary ..

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

At 1pm I spotted 4 aircraft (military fighter type) flying in close formation over Ennis town.

Can't see anything on flightRadar24, any idea what these would have been?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

rok wrote: »
    At 1pm I spotted 4 aircraft (military fighter type) flying in close formation over Ennis town.

Can't see anything on flightRadar24, any idea what these would have been?

Air Corps PC-9s routing to Galway for the commissioning of a new Naval Vessel.

https://airwaysmag.com/industry/bombardier-readies-cs300-entry-service-airbaltic/

Stunning looking machine, I wonder will it fly via Dublin like CS100?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What looks to be a C130 passing over the city just now, obviously military have their own rulebook but do they not have to use a civ transponder in controlled airspace like that and thus appear on FR24?

ED E wrote: »
    What looks to be a C130 passing over the city just now, obviously military have their own rulebook but do they not have to use a civ transponder in controlled airspace like that and thus appear on FR24?

FR24 will only readily show you planes with Mode S transponders that have ADS-B output with GPS data. Just because you don't see plane on the FR24 doesn't mean they're not using the transponder - they might be using Mode S without ADS-B or modes A or C. These are visible to ATC and Traffic collision avoidance systems, but not to FR24. FR24 may show them sometimes when there are enough feeders to triangulate the position via MLAT, but in Ireland the MLAT coverage is very poor, from what I've seen from my own flying, you need to be at above 5000ft before FR24 starts picking you up.. In midlands for some reason the coverage is better and typically 2500 will get you on the FR24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ahh ok. Cheers for the explanation. He wasn't particularly low but I haven't the eye to guesstimate his altitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Anyone see the chemtrails protesters on the airport campus this afternoon,nearly crashed the car on the way out of work I was laughing so hard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

lord lucan wrote: »
    Anyone see the chemtrails protesters on the airport campus this afternoon,nearly crashed the car on the way out of work I was laughing so hard!

No :D:D:D:D:D at DUB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Jack1985 wrote: »
    No :D:D:D:D:D at DUB?

Yeah,they were on the path at the side of the Maldron opposite Topaz waving placards with 'don't spray us' and other such pearls of wisdom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Yeah,they were on the path at the side of the Maldron opposite Topaz waving placards with 'don't spray us' and other such pearls of wisdom.

Lovely! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Maybe the Healey Rae family persuaded them to come to Dublin so that they can get some more free publicity for their views. :D

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My plane had to abort it's landing at the very last second yesterday coming into Dublin airport. No idea why as it wasn't very windy!
    Less than a yard off the runway, then whoosh- right back up. Scared the life out of me. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Shannon Control

Posy wrote: »
    My plane had to abort it's landing at the very last second yesterday coming into Dublin airport. No idea why as it wasn't very windy!
    Less than a yard off the runway, then whoosh- right back up. Scared the life out of me. :o

What time? Can easily find out why for you if you give me a rough time you aborted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

10pm last night- we eventually landed properly at 10.17. I was thinking maybe poor visibility/mist?
    It was coming in from LCY- first and last time I'm flying Cityjet!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Shannon Control

Pilot said the reason was 'Finger trouble'. Don't ask me what that means, no idea. But was caused by pilots not ATC if that makes any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Pilot said the reason was 'Finger trouble'. Don't ask me what that means, no idea. But was caused by pilots not ATC if that makes any sense.

Possibly went to disconnect the A/T and instead hit TOGA and woosh...up you go. To err is human and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

In the Ryanair fare finder the days don't correspond correctly to the dates, at least not in February, just spent a good 10 minutes being very confused.

Eg, 1st Feb is a Wednesday, not a Thursday as Ryanair suggests

Edit: Working now, this new Ryanair site is not very responsive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Lustrum

https://www.donedeal.ie/hobbies-for-sale/boeing-757/13875295

In fairness, its a genuine reason for selling :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I get one of the EI post-flight customer care surveys for the first time ever after a bog standard, uneventful, landed on time (due to slightly padded block times probably as we left late) Regional flight.

Why I never get them after a flight where the plane hasn't been cleaned or the catering is stuffed or both I don't know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lufty's strike being extended resulted in me having to call them ~140 times to get through to an agent that could hear me (got two who couldn't, the other calls dropped or never got to the menu) and I'm now being sent through HEL. With a nervous co-passenger who will not appreciate the E190 or ATR72 that will be involved!

KLM's slightly dearer flights would have been a better bet in the end...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

It seems some people think this is a no go area on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Or it's impossible to find

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Shannon757 wrote: »
    It seems some people think this is a no go area on Boards.
    What have I missed? :eek:

man98 wrote: »
    What have I missed? :eek:

Well we're all passive aggressive pilots with alcohol issues apparently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭The King of Dalriada

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Well we're all passive aggressive pilots with alcohol issues apparently

Hold my beer while I go and beat up this orphaned kitten...

Advertisement